Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
2013 NRL finals

Next weekends matches :

Souths vs Melbourne Storm @ ANZ Stadium

Cronulla vs North Queersland @ Allianz Stadium

Roosters vs Manly @ Allianz Stadium

Canterbury vs Newcastle @ ANZ Stadium

Melbourne..simply due to lengthy finals experience and I expect Souths to choke.
Cronulla..the Cows have been up for a while with one of the longest runs this year. I think it more likely to end when it counts the most.
The Roosters..such an obvious pick although I expect Manly to compete for every second of the match.
Newcastle.. The hardest match to decide for me with the edge being WB and his calmness at half time. The Dogs looked disjointed last time out and didn't impress.

Storm. souffs haven't won a game against their opponents in ages, they're not gonna start now...

Cows will permanently delete the Sharks from this comp. Better late than never!

Chooks should take it, but Manly on their day can beat anyone.

Knights will end the Dogs misery. I can't see them recover from all the off-field stuff to be any genuine threat this season.

I reckon this year (and maybe next year at most) is South's only punt at the trophy. They're already having to shed a lot of their depth first-graders, and bump off some old timers, in order upgrade the contracts of Sutton, Reynolds, McQueen etc. Keary will be up for a big upgrade too next year if Sutton moves in to the forwards. Oh and Inglis is apparently going to be on $1 mill a season (up from $600k now). Which leads us to the big point: The Burgess brothers. Sam is one of the best forwards in the world, and he is officially (cough cough) on $250k a year. Anywhere else he'd get at least $500k, probably more. George & Luke are on the minimum top-tier, and Tom is in the 2nd tier. You would have to think on performances this year that George would be able to get $300 - $400k elsewhere, with his twin not too far behind that. Seriously, even with the cap going up (which you'd expect most players have seen coming so would have a % clause anyway), if they're able to hang on to all 4 Burgesseseses without shedding some top-line stars, I'd be checking Ms Burgesseseses accounts pretty thoroughly.

Storm. souffs haven't won a game against their opponents in ages, they're not gonna start now...

Cows will permanently delete the Sharks from this comp. Better late than never!

Chooks should take it, but Manly on their day can beat anyone.

Knights will end the Dogs misery. I can't see them recover from all the off-field stuff to be any genuine threat this season.

I'm lazy so I'll hijack this because I agree with all bar the Manly tip.

I assume Stewart will be back for Manly this week and they're sucha different team with him. Not to mention the ***** should be without JWH. Manly in a tight one.

As for the rest, the only tip I'm confident with is the Storm.

I'm lazy so I'll hijack this because I agree with all bar the Manly tip.

I assume Stewart will be back for Manly this week and they're sucha different team with him. Not to mention the ***** should be without JWH. Manly in a tight one.

As for the rest, the only tip I'm confident with is the Storm.
That'll be $10, thanks.

I just want the Cowboys to win. If they can't, I want Souths, Roosters, Bulldogs, Sharks, Storm, Eagles and Knights to not win the GF.

So basically. When the Cowboys do lose. That's season over for me.

The Cowboys are definitely capable of beating the Sharks but it will be a harder proposition this time as Cronulla have some form leading into the finals and Todd Carney will be playing and some of the Sharks top-graders will be fresh after a weeks rest.

If North Queensland win it will be their last hurrah for 2013 as they will meet a top 4 side in Sydney (most likely) the following week and will get eliminated.

Still can't believe the Blues chose Maloney over Carney...

I'm backing the away teams this week:

Storm
Cowgals
womanly
Knights

Melbourne - I think they will be too strong for the bunnies. They have got rid of their period of bad form, and I fully expect them to be at the grand final this year
Cowboys - will be a tight game, think cowboys will just go through
Manly - probably one the best clutch teams and have the big-game finals experience. Will be a close one though
Bulldogs - could go either way, but I think Newcastle are far too inconsistent and the Dogs have been a lot better this year.

Storm to beat Souffs who don't seem to handle the big moments.
Cows to knock out Sharks but I will jump on the Sharks if they win
Manly v Chooks, depends if the refs let Easts get away with their leave early offside give the penalty bullshit D.
Knights to beat the dogs but who really cares.

Storm to beat Souffs who don't seem to handle the big moments.
Cows to knock out Sharks but I will jump on the Sharks if they win
Manly v Chooks, depends if the refs let Easts get away with their leave early offside give the penalty bull**** D.
Knights to beat the dogs but who really cares.

Agree with every single word of that. I would like to add to the Manly vs Roosters game that the ref is going to have a handful keeping both defensive lines honest. I really hope they blow the whistle early and don't let it degenerate in to a 5-metre "10".

First week tips and margins

Storm by 12-18
Sharks by 1-6
Roosters by 1-12
Knights by 1-12

I tipped
Souths
Manly
Cowboys

so 1/3 and I'm tippin the Knights.
Disgusting 7th tackle try in the cows game though.

I want to see the Knights win - would love to see WB win it at 3 clubs... it won't happen.
I'm backing the Souths... too many x factor players, confidence and flair. If GI plays a role in attack... I think the team is too hard to stop... too many attacking players.

Chooks - Purely on the back of SBW. Honestly if they didn't have SBW they would not be half the team they are now. Harsh but true. SBW is a gun - love him or hate him this guy is bloody too good. My favourite backrower since Tallis.

Storm - A solid machine but it's gettin a bit old - reliable on their day but not sure if they will get there. They are the '17' when playing blackjack. 'stand' and hope for a bust.

Manly - Too many niggling injuries - will need luck

Hardly anyone picked Souths to beat Melbourne so I guess Melbourne have convinced us they are quality irrespective of their cheating 3 or 4 years ago. The Roosters must be rated the top pick or top chance as the did beat Souths for the minor premiership and kept out Manly so well Manly were unable to sore a single point in 80 minutes. Cronullas chances all but evaporated with the hamstring problem for Carney. I can hardly believe the GF winner will come from today's match although any team with sufficient belief is a chance. I hope Newcastle have a win today ,mainly for our old mentors sake plus making AP look silly would be a delightful bonus lol.

Wouldn't it be funny if Newcastle beat the Storm on Saturday. I wouldn't mine seeing that. I think the Roosters will win the GF this year. I always said they would make it to the GF and would only lose if Storm were playing them.

I'm tipping the Roosters will win it all, I would have liked to see the Knights make the grand final and lose so WB can have a loss however they won't even make it with their run of Storm/Roosters.

Will be a Roosters V Eagles final with the Roosters getting up.

Newcastle plays Cronulla in the GF lol....priceless ! I could only imagine the bitterness that would emanate from NQld and the condemnation of those who consider Cronulla drug cheats. Nearly send me into paroxysms of laughter if Cronulla should win, no dammit , it would do just that. Be a dream, WB on one side, the long suffering Sharkies on the other. Of course neither team will progress past next weekend but still....

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Battler
  • Wolfie
  • Brotherdu
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncorob
  • Broncos Maestro
  • ettybay
  • jarro65
  • KateBroncos1812
  • phoenix
  • Waynesaurus
  • Fatboy
  • Strop
  • Broncs1459
  • Broncosarethebest
  • maddo
  • bert_lifts
  • broncoscope
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.