2014 Halves Pairing

what does everyone think of ben barba at five-eight?

The exact same as with Milford at 5/8th. It's a gamble.

The exact same as with Milford at 5/8th. It's a gamble.

Milford has always played in the halves only in nrl has it been at fullback and still they mixed it up. He's more than capable in the halves

He has also played 2 games in the halves and more then proved his talent in that position.

Milford has always played in the halves only in nrl has it been at fullback and still they mixed it up. He's more than capable in the halves

He was definitely promising but I'd like to see his passing game develop a little more, his ball running is obviously amazing and his long kicking looked solid, remember at least one good 40/20 (don't recall much of his short kicking).

I remember seeing some good grubbers for tries, but not any kicking cross field for wingers. According to the commentators he has very good vision and knows when to kick or pass.

Milford and hunt the halves would be awesome, opposite kind of players like foran and DCE and young,who play very direct and as we all saw hunt's vision is exceptional just has to work on execution. Those two and barba chiming in when he wants its something to smile at, if Milford comes that is

He has also played 2 games in the halves and more then proved his talent in that position.

I have hopes for Milford to develop into a top quality half

That said, I don't believe that any player can 'more than prove their talent' in a position in 2 games

I mean to develop into that position.

The more I think about it the more I'd prefer Barba at five-eighth over Milford. As good as his 2012 season at fullback was, I don't think it was honestly that much better than his 2010 season where he absolutely killed it playing half a game at five-eighth off the bench. The only reason he was moved to fullback was because Patten retired and they thought they had the halves covered having just signed Hodkinson and Keating to replace Kimmorley to partner Roberts in the halves, which isn't so much relevant as it is hilarious.

Defending in the front line might be a problem but I'd rather deal with that when it arises rather than assume it's a dealbreaker ahead of time.

If we don't get Milford I'd definitely want Barba there for the above reasons as well as the fact that it's simply a lot easier to find a decent fullback than it is to find a decent half.

Either way methinks Parker and Glenn are going to be mopping up plenty, but no more than when Prince was imitating a wet paper towel (the woolworths brand at that).

regardless what happens with milford the fact is we have 4 young halves coming into the squad ( Paia'Aua, cullen, stasser, nikorima) there will be an answer there and we need a decent fullback and that's barba. Hoffman is unable to breach the line like other fullbacks, can't pass which is more than evident in the WCC, can be easily be put off his game (don't think he ever recovered from the shoulder charge from greg inglis last year) and the fact he is the worst defending fullback statiscally, we need barba at the back.

what does everyone think of ben barba at five-eight?

Not a fan

1: It isn't his best position and we need players playing in their best positions. Barba is a great fullback and is easily his best position and I don't remember him as a half even though I know he played there.

2: It would affect his confidence and himself personally. He has had a well documented troubled personal life over the last year. Everything seems to be getting back on track but having the responsibility of carrying a whole team with a big reputation would give him to much pressure to perform. If he plays in the halves and fails the media will make him the scapegoat which will affect him personally and mentally.

3: I don't rate his defence against the big guys that well. We struggled defensively through the middle and there is every chance that would continue with Barba having to take on the big guys and work harder in defence.

Not a fan

1: It isn't his best position and we need players playing in their best positions. Barba is a great fullback and is easily his best position and I don't remember him as a half even though I know he played there.

2: It would affect his confidence and himself personally. He has had a well documented troubled personal life over the last year. Everything seems to be getting back on track but having the responsibility of carrying a whole team with a big reputation would give him to much pressure to perform. If he plays in the halves and fails the media will make him the scapegoat which will affect him personally and mentally.

3: I don't rate his defence against the big guys that well. We struggled defensively through the middle and there is every chance that would continue with Barba having to take on the big guys and work harder in defence.

In response to all three points we should at least trial him there and see how he handles it but I believe that Barba at 5/8th will be the best for the team

Active Now

• Jason Simmons
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • broncotville
  • DrGee
  • mrslong
  • broncos4life
  • mieko
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • bb_gun
  • BruiserMk1
  • Dexter
  • Skyblues87
  • Galah
  • Lazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • Dash
  • Porthoz
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.