2014 Halves Pairing

I think we could have beaten Melbourne twice if Maranta was a better finisher. Maranta bombed a couple of tries against Melbourne the first time, and I lost count on the amount of tries he bombed the second time. I think if we had Yow Yeh before the injury, we could have won those games.

We need quality finishers.

Last edited:
I think we could have beaten Melbourne twice if Maranta was a better finisher. Maranta bombed a couple of tries against Melbourne the first time, and I lost count on the amount of tries he bombed the second time. I think if we had Yow Yeh before the injury, we could have won those games.

We need quality finishers.

That second game is beyond me, a team to be held up so many times is just a joke

Personally I thought Scott Prince did the right thing by retiring and giving Ben Hunt a spot. As much of a servant to the game he was Prince was well past his best and wasn't providing enough value to the team and he wasn't the future and wasn't going to help us long term. It's good to have an experienced squad with some veterans but every team should have a good share of young players that they can land their future plans on and build the team around them.

At least Scott can hold his head high knowing that he retired every way a player should and retire on their own terms.

Personally I thought Scott Prince did the right thing by retiring and giving Ben Hunt a spot.

IMO you're confused there.

Peter Wallace was the one retarding Ben Hunt's development. If anyone else is to blame, it's Gee for resigning Wallace and Griffin for taking an eternity to realise Wallace was shit.

To play like crap?

I don't think so.

IMO you're confused there.

Peter Wallace was the one retarding Ben Hunt's development. If anyone else is to blame, it's Gee for resigning Wallace and Griffin for taking an eternity to realise Wallace was ****.
Last time I looked there were two positions in the halves, the other was filled with guns like Prince and Norman who Hunt couldn't displace.

Let's agree that there was retardation all over the place.

Wallace was terrible, but Griffin persisted with him like Henjak did with Michaels (actually even longer than that)
Prince was a terrible buy.
Norman was poor in the halves.
Hunt couldn't displace any of these failures for a long time.

I'll even go as far as dictating those terms!

Mmmm...

In the right ball-park but I don't necessarily see it that way.

Wallace was a reliable first grade halfback right up until the post Origin period of 2012 where he grew complacent and lost that consistency which made him so valuable. Should have been dropped back then, but the club was having enough troubles keeping the same 17 on the field it made it hard to justify. Could argue he should have been dropped at the start of 2013 but the argument was that he was in better form at that time than Hunt, which was likely given the trials.

Prince was signed on back-up half wages and played to that level. I don't disagree with the signing at all, I just don't think he should have seen as much first grade as he did but a lot of that came down to the club's poor depth.

Norman was a work in progress who packed his bags at the first sign of a massive pay-day. He displayed some positives signs but required more experience and hands on coaching.

Hunt was a victim of poor management and a strange set up with the QRL.

Mmmm...

In the right ball-park but I don't necessarily see it that way.

Wallace was a reliable first grade halfback right up until the post Origin period of 2012 where he grew complacent and lost that consistency which made him so valuable. Should have been dropped back then, but the club was having enough troubles keeping the same 17 on the field it made it hard to justify. Could argue he should have been dropped at the start of 2013 but the argument was that he was in better form at that time than Hunt, which was likely given the trials.

Prince was signed on back-up half wages and played to that level. I don't disagree with the signing at all, I just don't think he should have seen as much first grade as he did but a lot of that came down to the club's poor depth.

Norman was a work in progress who packed his bags at the first sign of a massive pay-day. He displayed some positives signs but required more experience and hands on coaching.

Hunt was a victim of poor management and a strange set up with the QRL.
Wallace was abysmal in 2010, probably even moreso than 2013. The only thing he did consistently that year was chip-kick to opposition overlaps.

The only patch of form where he was THAT bad was sans Lockyer when the entire team had just about given up.

Otherwise, he was still handy, albeit it 2010 was his worse year outside of 2013.

I've never particularly rated Wallace, but I don't think he has ever been even remotely as bad as since the end of Origin period last year. He just wasn't FG standard at all. Keeping him in FG and signing Prince meant they were just dicking Norman and Hunt around. Though like I said, neither one of them set the world on fire either. More like they set themselves on fire too, with their performances.

Yeah I think at the Broncos 2013 was his real low point at the club he just looked totally disinterested combined with just crap form, over the years I defended him, too much with hindsight(yes thats right fourex) and for all the criticism of Norman I have given even he threatened the opposition more in the last two seasons then Wallace did, Wallace should have been dropped from the side altogether much the same Norman had, by that stage he was ineffective in the halves and certainly didn't belong on the bench as an interchange dummy half, why couldn't we have given a young hooker a go instead?

Hunt for his small faults at the back end of the season when he finally did get his chance showed a lot of good attributes too and given the mess the team was in at that stage I think some here had this expectation to an extent that he alone could hold a good patch of form together for the side but really there was only so much he could do. I still don't know where we stand on him, I'm just glad now with a full off season of preparation for 2014 to work with we will get to see where he really stands in the scheme of things. Forwards better give our spine the platform to work with if we really want to improve too.

Last edited:
Damn, I was looking forward to seeing Hunt play and see how he is going now that the Broncos are not screwing him over.

Interesting that the article says we chose Niko over Milford (for only 35k no less). Whether he'll be as good remains to be seen I guess. At least we'll have both come next year

I'd have to question the validity of that given the Raiders apparently had Milford on their books when he was 12.

If the article is correct, Nikorima signed when he was 16, 4 years after the Milford signing.

Kodi is an exciting runner of the football but other aspects of his games are a little lacking. Wish him well as the more options the Broncos have the merrier but I have my doubts.

Unread

Active Now

• Brotherdu
  • cento
  • RolledOates
  • Jedhead
  • mrslong
  • Dash
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Battler
  • john1420
  • Xzei
  • bb_gun
  • Rowdy124
  • Culhwch
  • Sproj
  • leon.bott
  • Allo
  • The Don
  • LittleDavey
  • Fozz
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.