2014 Halves Pairing

If Kahu is out then Barba will have to play 5/8. Perfect world would have a protector beside him in defence but I can only see one in our squad and he is long odds of first grade just yet. Arjuma Adams

Does everyone remember when the Bulldogs used to hide Barba on the wing in defence when he played in the halves for them off the bench?

True, He's defence has improved dramatically sense then though.

He's considerably bigger and more experienced than when he used to come off the bench for the Bulldogs, but the point remains, his defense would be the number one concern.

It would be a concern, but it would be the least concerning out of all our current options... Unless we want to put Macca there

I've said it before, but i believe that Barba could make a successful transition to 5/8. but it will only happen IMO, if Kahu is out for the season

It would be a concern, but it would be the least concerning out of all our current options... Unless we want to put Macca there

Who would play hooker?
I am yet to be convinced Granville is even up to the 14 jersey

Who would play hooker?
I am yet to be convinced Granville is even up to the 14 jersey

Oh sorry I was making my point poorly there, I was just trying to say that if the only thing that would rule barba out of 6 was a concern about his defence we might as well put macca there cos he would just tackle all day.

I personally think barba could work at 6 and definitely need to keep macca at hooker

Barba at 6 could be a good think for the long term. With Milford coming next year we have 2 young guys that could adapt to either position.

What I mean is that Milford probably needs to decide if he is going to be a 6 or a 1 and then work on perfecting that. So if we put barba at 6 and he can't make the adjustment, then next year he goes back to 1 and Milford starts at 6.

If barba adapts to 6 we may have an answer to our five eight problem and Milford becomes our fullback. The massive upside being they are both very young so we could start to cement our long term spine

i just cant agree with barba at 6. maybe i'll be proved wrong and he'll go well there but you're taking away the best parts of his game by putting him in the halves.

if warner and rogers go down injured you dont put michael clarke into opening the batting.

i just cant agree with barba at 6. maybe i'll be proved wrong and he'll go well there but you're taking away the best parts of his game by putting him in the halves.

if warner and rogers go down injured you dont put michael clarke into opening the batting.

Mate you are 100% right.

He may be able to go there and he may not, we wont know until at least a few rounds with him there.

I understand your analogy but we don't have a lot of options. To use your analogy Warner goes down and the options are opening with clarke or opening with a guy you passed playing cricket bare foot in the park; who do you go with?

Personally I hope that strasser kills it next trial and barba to 6 is never spoken of again, but if not it may be our only option

Another week, another new genius halves pairing/ spine formation. How many times have we done this now?

Last year it was every week, wasn't it? How did that end up. Oh, yeah, we finished fifth....fifth LAST.

lol, at the idea of using Glenn to "protect" Barba. Barba is a better defender than Glenn. Look at the missed tackle stats year-on-year trends. Oppositions will just run plays at that, all day long.

Only solution is a clean out of White, Griffin, Glenn, Gillett, Hoffman etc. Bring in Bennett, Boyd, Mullen, Scott, Smith etc.

Another week, another new genius halves pairing/ spine formation. How many times have we done this now?

Last year it was every week, wasn't it? How did that end up. Oh, yeah, we finished fifth....fifth LAST.

lol, at the idea of using Glenn to "protect" Barba. Barba is a better defender than Glenn. Look at the missed tackle stats year-on-year trends. Oppositions will just run plays at that, all day long.

Only solution is a clean out of White, Griffin, Glenn, Gillett, Hoffman etc. Bring in Bennett, Boyd, Mullen, Scott, Smith etc.

That's an awesome solution. Now can you come up with one that remains within the bounds of reality?

Come on mate, thats not a solution. In terms of round 1 we can only work with the current resources. A month or so we thought/hoped Milford was going to be the no.6, then up until a day ago the impression was that Kahu was going to be the no.6. It was not Griffins fault Kahu is injured.

The question now is Hoffman/Barba/Hunt/Macca the best option we have for a 'spine'?

If rumours are true Griffin may not have the luxury of picking one of these young blokes at no.6 and hoping they kick on in the 2nd half of the season. His safer option may be Barba.

There's a topic just for that, mate. This isn't the thread to suggest a coach and management clean out.

Of course there's going to be plenty of halves discussion, we've got almost a brand new spine and it's a new year, no one can pre-emptively decide on the halves combination as that depends on attitude and form during the preseason as well as the upcoming trials.

"bounds of reality"?

If you have strong management -totally doable. If you have a management that gets to fifth last, yeah, it gets harder. Note Smith = J.Smith. Not the genius idea of spending a million+ for a 35 year old rake.

How old is J Smith again? And why would we buy him when we have Parker at lock? I'd like Mullen for sure but good luck getting him to leave Newcastle.

No we didn't have a new halves pairing/spine formation every week last year, thats just wrong.

I would continue to go on but I can see you just want to turn this into another sack everyone thread and I don't feel like playing the game, so carry on.

Paul Kent was on Fox Sports news the other day (before the trial) saying that Barbas best days are behind him and ne will NEVER show the form he showed in 2012 again.

he said "I don't care how long he is at the Broncos, he will never replicate his form of 2012 again"

How good would it be for him to get back to his dominant self and really shove it back into Kents face"

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Broncosarethebest
  • thenry
  • FACTHUNT
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Jason Simmons
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Mum-the-meatloaf
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.