2014 Halves Pairing

"bounds of reality"?

If you have strong management -totally doable. If you have a management that gets to fifth last, yeah, it gets harder. Note Smith = J.Smith. Not the genius idea of spending a million+ for a 35 year old rake.

The only people in that list that wasn't a sideways or backwards movement was Mullen, and there is no way he would leave newcastle.

Why would we want to sack White? The CEO's main role is to run the business and that has never been in better shape. The fact that the off field stuff is prospering despite the terrible on field performances shows what a great job he is doing.

We all (including the broncos staff) thought that Milford would be here this year which would mean we wouldn't be in this situation with the halves. Regardless we are, but getting rid of the coach, CEO & our representative players isn't going to fix anything in the halves

Paul Kent was on Fox Sports news the other day (before the trial) saying that Barbas best days are behind him and ne will NEVER show the form he showed in 2012 again.

he said "I don't care how long he is at the Broncos, he will never replicate his form of 2012 again"

How good would it be for him to get back to his dominant self and really shove it back into Kents face"

Yeah I heard that, Ikin looked at him bewildered. What frustrates me with kent is that if barba was at say the cowboys he would most likely be predicting him for the Dally M again

Griffin should have bought an established five eighth. How stupid can you be to rest your career on the shoulders of an untried half. Not real bright. And these are the clowns that are running our great Club!

Griffin should have bought an established five eighth. How stupid can you be to rest your career on the shoulders of an untried half. Not real bright. And these are the clowns that are running our great Club!

ok which 5/8 should Griffin have bought that was actually on the market

Round the Malberry bush.

Seriously though, Kahu's injury doesn't change the status quo that we do not have an established 5/8 going into Round 1, even if he wasn't injured.

I had my reservations about him prior to him going down this week. We all do/did.

It seems though the trials have compounded that issue with Strasser and Nikorima revealing themselves as a tad underdone.

I'd hate to see Barba at 5/8. Hate it immensely. He's a borderline proposition already at fullback regardless of how much we all hope and pray we get Dally M 2012 Barba.

At five-eight, new club, fragile mind set, new position, huge media expectation...

I think the Broncs need to take a plunge on Strasser. Hunt will step up. I am confident he and his mate McCullough can pull this team around as their own and the 6 needs to be a bit part player only.

Maloney was available after locky retired. Did they really chase Widdop..Hell even Luke Walsh would have served a purpose until Milford got here. Better then using a winger in Kahu in the halves.

I dunno, I'm on the optimistic side so I think barba will do well at 6. He's a naturally gifted athlete and would make good use of most positions on the field. On form, Barba had no troubles making line breaks and that's when the defense knew he was going to run. Now, with the added option of passing/kicking in the defenders' mind, he will be even harder to stop in attack. I understand majority of his best attack was from broken play, but he proved more than once that he is capable without it. He also has a good short kicking game IMO. I just don't see what other choice griffin has, the mans career is at stake

Hook is a dead man walking and everyone knows it.. They are just delaying the inevitable. I'm sure they've already had chats with K. Walters about not committing anywhere else long term. Mind you that's just my guess lol..

Maloney was available after locky retired. Did they really chase Widdop..Hell even Luke Walsh would have served a purpose until Milford got here. Better then using a winger in Kahu in the halves.

Maloney signed with the Roosters in 2011. In 2011 yes locky was retiring but Wallace hadn't gone full retard and Corey Norman looked the goods. Widdop is still completely unproven away from the storm and wanted far too much money for what he currently is. In any case when any decisions could be made about signing guys like widdop etc. it looked pretty certian we would have milford so it would have been a waste of money.

It's easy to look back in hindsight and say they should have done this, they should of done that, but it's also grossly unfair

Hook is a dead man walking and everyone knows it.. They are just delaying the inevitable. I'm sure they've already had chats with K. Walters about not committing anywhere else long term. Mind you that's just my guess lol..

wrong thread

There really wasn't any worth giving money to. I do think we should have looked to get more mature options from Q Cup though.

I understand your analogy but we don't have a lot of options. To use your analogy Warner goes down and the options are opening with clarke or opening with a guy you passed playing cricket bare foot in the park; who do you go with?

i get what youre saying and yes, give strasser a run in the 6. hunt will play the dominant half role anyway, and barbas attacking skills from fullback will negate the need for a really strong 6. as long as the guy can defend and throw a pass or two then strasser can grow into the role.

3 days ago we didnt know whether we wanted kahu or strasser anyway. if they were so evenly poised for the position, kahu getting injured shouldnt mean the previous plan is out the door. strasser takes the front running

dont weaken fb just to attempt to strength 6. barbas untested at 6 anyway.

Ah yes, Kevvie the master coach! He would start Strasser, who is obviously the next dce!

Cause Hook has proven himself to be so much better huh? :-)

kahu getting injured shouldnt mean the previous plan is out the door. strasser takes the front running

Agree with this. Kahu gets knocked out in the first trial of the season and the very next immediate go to play is swapping Barba and Hoffman around?

get fucked!!

Give Strasser a chance in the remaining trial game and if he even looks half capable....give him a go.

I don't want Barba at 5/8 .....his defense in the front line will be worse than Scott Prince.

i get what youre saying and yes, give strasser a run in the 6. hunt will play the dominant half role anyway, and barbas attacking skills from fullback will negate the need for a really strong 6. as long as the guy can defend and throw a pass or two then strasser can grow into the role.

3 days ago we didnt know whether we wanted kahu or strasser anyway. if they were so evenly poised for the position, kahu getting injured shouldnt mean the previous plan is out the door. strasser takes the front running

He's more tested at 6 than any of the other options.

When was Maloney available to us. He told the warriors he was going back to Sydney and i know we play a few games down there but shit it would have been a long drive to Brisbane for training for him a couple of days a week.
Not sure Widdop or Walsh would be better than Kahu who has never been a winger until last year

FWIW, hook hasn't be quoted as planning to play Barba at 5/8. It seems to have been an assumption from the media to sell papers.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Big Del
  • thenry
  • FACTHUNT
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Jason Simmons
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Mum-the-meatloaf
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.