2014 Halves Pairing

Kahu should come in then barring his fitness. He's got a lot of pressure on him, but he was the first pick before the season started and trained the whole off season at 5/8.

It's still beyond me how any nrl team (the broncos at that) can plan so poorly that they have an entire season with only one half option (hunt). Then to do so little to fix the situation once it occurred.

I know they've (probably) got milf next season which great (other than the fact he's another fullback). But surely they could have done something in the mean time. We have heaps of cap room this year. Why not throw a big 1 year contract at some other teams depth players? Or a short contract at one of the many decent halves that came up in the last season or two. I would've been happy if we offered prince another year, or capewell. Throw some money at benji if you have no faith in your juniors.

We've had a winger not skilful enough to be fullback playing 5/8 and then replaced him with a 30+ year old centre when he got injured. What a joke.

What will we do of Hunt gets injured?? Have a halves pairing of hodges and Hoffman?

Seems like the kind of thing someone should lose their job over.

Last edited:
Sounds like Duncan Paia'Aua has the best credentials at the moment to make the first grade jump this year. From what I have heard he has solid defence, a good kicking and a sound running game. I am just not sure if he is a organiser or what?[h=3][/h]

It's still beyond me how any nrl team (the broncos at that) can plan so poorly that they have an entire season with only one half option (hunt). Then to do so little to fix the situation once it occurred.

I know they've (probably) got milf next season which great (other than the fact he's another fullback). But surely they could have done something in the mean time. We have heaps of cap room this year. Why not throw a big 1 year contract at some other teams depth players? Or a short contract at one of the many decent halves that came up in the last season or two. I would've been happy if we offered prince another year, or capewell. Throw some money at benji if you have no faith in your juniors.

We've had a winger not skilful enough to be fullback playing 5/8 and then replaced him with a 30+ year old centre when he got injured. What a joke.

What will we do of Hunt gets injured?? Have a halves pairing of hodges and Hoffman?

Seems like the kind of thing someone should lose their job over.

I don't think many teams has much depth in the halves. anyone good enough to play NRL is already doing that.

on Prince, maybe once we realised Milford would be staying in Canberra this year, the club tried to convince Prince to stay on another year, but he turned us down (and i'm not saying this happened, just that it could have)

I don't think many teams has much depth in the halves. anyone good enough to play NRL is already doing that.

I'd say every team has depth in the halves, it's just the quality that varies.....but at least they are halves.

Who do we put at five-eighth???

As most of us Brisbane fans, actually probably all of us; are wondering who should we put at five-eighth?????!?!?
Well because most of us do not favour Hodges or Hoffman at five-eighth, I have listed a few of our options. Feel free to critcise and comment, and please list your opinions as well.

1. Jordan Kahu

2. Duncan Paia'Aua (Rep. Honours:Australian Schoolboys U15)
Heard this guy is young and skilful with great defense for a half and is a goal kicker.

3. Zach Strasser
Not too sure but have received a lot of wraps.

4. Kodi Nikorima
We seen in the NRL 9's what this kid could do.

5. Jayden Nikorima (Rep. Honours:Australian Schoolboys)
Has kicked 22 goals this season in the NYC Comp and is the top tryscorer with 12 tries.

OR

I looked at QCup and NSWCup to find that there are quite a few decent halves playing but are unfortunately signed by an NRL club. However, in saying this, I've actually been thinking about us signing ARANA TAUMATA. I'm pretty sure he has no NRL club and is just playing NSW CUP. If you've been watching NRL for a while, this name would definitely be familiar to you. Although he is poorly disciplined, he is such a talent! There was a reason why we brought him to the club when he was 14 years old!

I also think we should give Francis Molo and/or Joe Ofahengaue (2nd in most hit ups/runs, and 2nd in running metres) a crack if Kennedy is dropped; but we definitley need to use Hala. Or... we can inject Lowrie or give the veteren Jon Green a go???

All I can say is we're progressing, and things will soon turn if we remain patient. As long as we secure a good top 8 spot and play extremely well in the finals, then we should be fine. We need to take it a week at a time.

Re: Who do we put at five-eighth???

No thanks re:Tomato. Didn't we actually sign him once and then released him?

I'd go with Strasser or Paia'aua, since they've played QLD Cup and from the sounds of things, are less individualistic.

Re: Who do we put at five-eighth???

Jordan Kahu has played 1 game in the ISC this season, and was average, in the centres

Duncan Paia'Aua is the best option, reasonable size for a half, has played a bit of ISC this season.

Zach Strasser is the second best option, strong competitor from what I've seen, ISC experience.

Kodi Nikorima has been decent in NYC this season, playing fullback, good at scoring tries.

Jayden Nikorima is the best of the bunch, but is too young.

I think we've already endured a long season and it's only the 8th round putting up with Hoffman. We just need anyone there but Hoffman. We got the talent and points in us. We just need the execution

Sounds like Duncan Paia'Aua has the best credentials at the moment to make the first grade jump this year. From what I have heard he has solid defence, a good kicking and a sound running game. I am just not sure if he is a organiser or what?

Duncan is o'k but his defense is very suspect, there is no doubt he can put a solid hit on but he gets beaten one on one too much with good footwork in nyc. Maybe some time in isc will improve that though, he also has a tendency to go up and out of the line by himself which leaves him exposed and also the outside man as well. He will need to sort that out quick smart otherwise he will get eaten alive in the nrl.

This comment is a little off kilter for this discussion, but story has it that benji wants $300k for this year with whoever he plays for...

Duncan is o'k but his defense is very suspect, there is no doubt he can put a solid hit on but he gets beaten one on one too much with good footwork in nyc. Maybe some time in isc will improve that though, he also has a tendency to go up and out of the line by himself which leaves him exposed and also the outside man as well. He will need to sort that out quick smart otherwise he will get eaten alive in the nrl.

This comment is a little off kilter for this discussion, but story has it that benji wants $300k for this year with whoever he plays for...

$300k for 15 games, at most? hahaha

If we have money under our cap that's not getting used anyway, I'd happily pay that. But only for the year and if he plays awesome we extend his contract and throw one of Barba, Milford, or Benji in the centre position, you can never have to many quality players, of course if he flops we dump him, no harm done.

Benji would be a handy pickup for cheap but only for a 1 year contract. Milford is coming next year but if he decided to stay with Canberra we can extend Benji's contract and secure a halves pairing either way.

If we are not going to promote a half, then signing Bunji for this year is the only sane thing to do.

If we have 300k unused in this years cap give it to him. We have 1 capable half in out entire system and a guy who (when in form, though rare as that is lately ) is one the best halves in the game has become available. Sign him for the rest of the season punt him if he's no good. What's there to lose?

Just imagine if Hunt is injured. We'll have Hodges halfback and Hoffman 5/8 and never kick the ball.

Sign him if only for depth just in case... No brainer IMO

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.