2014 Halves Pairing

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
It is an interesting thought.

I wonder how he'd go with the extra defence he'd have to do ?

No doubt he could ballplay a bit, but i don't really know that he'd have a decent enough kicking game though ??

L

LockNLoad

BRL Player
Aug 13, 2013
Where's Jared?

Jared played Rugby Union for Petone in Wellington, NZ this year.

NRL | Kahu benefiting from school of hard knocks | Stuff.co.nz

Jordan Kahu is spurred on by his brother's faltering career, he strives to remind Jared what can be achieved.
The 25-year-old was signed by North Queensland in 2009 but never settled during the pre-season and when their grandmother fell ill in Wellington he flew home and never returned.
He is now playing rugby for Petone while doing a building apprenticeship and Kahu believes his brother has rediscovered his motivation to showcase his skills as a halfback or first five-eighth.
"He's going to have a crack at the ITM Cup this year.
"After leaving the Cowboys everyone's given him a bit of a hard time but I think he's found that drive again. He was born naturally gifted, we just want to see him use what he's been given."

kingpest

kingpest

QCup Player
Apr 14, 2013
Yeah long kicking game would be a worry but chuck him in between Parker and moose in the defensive line and he won't have to do too much. He does some uncoordinated short kicks sometimes but they always manage to come off because it's hodgo. Who knows if it'll work, but it's certainly an option to look at

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
I think if Hoffman is not playing fullback with the arrival of Barba, his best position is five-eighth, after all it is his natural position as a junior coming through, I believe if he plays he's preferred position, we'll all see a different side to Hoffmans game, and with a bit of help from Lockyer, he can gain confidence in his five-eighth ability, and he can touch up and re-develop much of his junior five-eighth skills, such as passing and kicking as well as an already present strong running game. He possesses more skill than we are accustomed to witnessing. He can also re-develop his deadly junior combination with Barba, and playing five-eighth means more time in an around the play, pretty much as a second fullback, constantly supporting line breaks and running into holes. After all our most deadly players of 2014 (permitting injury) look to be Hodges, Barba, Hoffman, Hunt, Yow Yeh, and now Vidot.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I think if Hoffman is not playing fullback with the arrival of Barba, his best position is five-eighth, after all it is his natural position as a junior coming through, I believe if he plays he's preferred position, we'll all see a different side to Hoffmans game, and with a bit of help from Lockyer, he can gain confidence in his five-eighth ability, and he can touch up and re-develop much of his junior five-eighth skills, such as passing and kicking as well as an already present strong running game. He possesses more skill than we are accustomed to witnessing. He can also re-develop his deadly junior combination with Barba, and playing five-eighth means more time in an around the play, pretty much as a second fullback, constantly supporting line breaks and running into holes. After all our most deadly players of 2014 (permitting injury) look to be Hodges, Barba, Hoffman, Hunt, Yow Yeh, and now Vidot.

There seems to be a reasonable amount of agreement here that what you played as a junior isn't much of an indication of what you can do in 1st grade, apart from which it also seems to me Hoffman wants the FB spot.

As for our "most deadly players of 2014" you have left out Gillett, Parker, Glenn, Reed and ... Oates.

For mine, 1st or 2nd receiver is less about supporting line breaks and hole running rather than setting them up, and, as for a 5/8 playing "second fullback", isn't it the other way around, where the modern FB is as much a 2nd play maker - Slater, Bowen, Hayne, Inglis and ... Barba

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
IMO we are more likely to see:

1. Hoffman
6. Barba

Than

1. Barba
6. Hoffman

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
There seems to be a reasonable amount of agreement here that what you played as a junior isn't much of an indication of what you can do in 1st grade, apart from which it also seems to me Hoffman wants the FB spot.

As for our "most deadly players of 2014" you have left out Gillett, Parker, Glenn, Reed and ... Oates.

For mine, 1st or 2nd receiver is less about supporting line breaks and hole running rather than setting them up, and, as for a 5/8 playing "second fullback", isn't it the other way around, where the modern FB is as much a 2nd play maker - Slater, Bowen, Hayne, Inglis and ... Barba

Yes, it may not be an indication of what you can, and can't do, however, he has never been given the opportunity to play in his preferred position.

He put his hand up after the retirement of Locky, however in 2012 was kept at fullback, with Norman at five-eighth. Then constantly pushed around from fullback to wing, to centre, and back to fullback in 2013.

In terms of our most deadly players, I probably worded it incorrectly, what I meant was our most dangerous try scoring options, which would be our rather strong back line.

As for setting up the tries, that is mostly for Ben Hunt to do until Hoffman starts backing his ability and adjusting to the five-eight position. The role I meant for Hoffman would be more so a running five-eighth (eg John Sutton), who still would have the ability to link with the fullback or outside runners if there's space out wide.

Although I do agree the "Modern Day" fullback is seen as a second five-eighth, however every teams attack is becoming almost identical with the sweeping fullback play, it is becoming too predictable.

We all witnessed the repetitive, predictable sweeping play from Norman, which was easily defended without creating much of a threat, which resulted in moving too laterally, from side to side, rather than forward.

However if the Broncos went away from that and developed their own “Old School” style of football, where they played, unpredictable footy through the middle third of the field, instead of copying the style of many of the other teams, with sweeping fullback plays each set.

Instead we should target the bigger, tired forwards with the likes of Gillett, Glenn, Hunt, Barba and Hoffman by constantly changing the angle of the play, hitting holes, and turning the opposition big men inside out, and once the opposition is on the back foot, then shifting the attack wide, to our backline players.

This unpredictability and playing what's in front of you, will create headaches for the opposition, and hence misreads in defence, with plenty of linebreaks and broken field play in which the Broncos will thrive in.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Yes, it may not be an indication of what you can, and can't do, however, he has never been given the opportunity to play in his preferred position.

He put his hand up after the retirement of Locky, however in 2012 was kept at fullback, with Norman at five-eighth. Then constantly pushed around from fullback to wing, to centre, and back to fullback in 2013.

In terms of our most deadly players, I probably worded it incorrectly, what I meant was our most dangerous try scoring options, which would be our rather strong back line.

As for setting up the tries, that is mostly for Ben Hunt to do until Hoffman starts backing his ability and adjusting to the five-eight position. The role I meant for Hoffman would be more so a running five-eighth (eg John Sutton), who still would have the ability to link with the fullback or outside runners if there's space out wide.

Although I do agree the "Modern Day" fullback is seen as a second five-eighth, however every teams attack is becoming almost identical with the sweeping fullback play, it is becoming too predictable.

We all witnessed the repetitive, predictable sweeping play from Norman, which was easily defended without creating much of a threat, which resulted in moving too laterally, from side to side, rather than forward.

However if the Broncos went away from that and developed their own “Old School” style of football, where they played, unpredictable footy through the middle third of the field, instead of copying the style of many of the other teams, with sweeping fullback plays each set.

Instead we should target the bigger, tired forwards with the likes of Gillett, Glenn, Hunt, Barba and Hoffman by constantly changing the angle of the play, hitting holes, and turning the opposition big men inside out, and once the opposition is on the back foot, then shifting the attack wide, to our backline players.

This unpredictability and playing what's in front of you, will create headaches for the opposition, and hence misreads in defence, with plenty of linebreaks and broken field play in which the Broncos will thrive in.

You make good points. I disagree however in that Sutton is essentially a back rower with very good play making skills playing 5/8. He bends the line often and gets a pass away, and has a good kicking game.

I see none of that in Hoffa. But what I do see is one of the best wingers in the comp and if the team comes first, that's where he ought to play.

Seems to me some people think that not all positions are of equal value, like thinking wing is somehow less important than 5/8 or whatever, and equally, considering the bench as a place for 2nd best. I think that is a BIG mistake.

As for the "unpredictable footy" in the middle 3rd, I agree completely. We actually used a bit with passing by our forwards. Pity it was sporadic, like our form.

I'd like to see far less of bash and barge up the middle and see the ball moving, often right from tackle one. Sort of why Manly are so bloody good in attack 'cos they understand that moving the ball is more important than mindless muscle up the middle

Last edited:
B

brodster_1

BRL Player
Jul 2, 2013
IMO i think if we sign Smith he will actually play in the halves as posses all the attributes to be a good half and it may prolong his career or if our recruiting is done which i think it is, i reckon itll be hodges who'll play like a john sutton role and the kicking will fall on hunt and macca.

BroncosAlways

BroncosAlways

NRL Captain
Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
IMO i think if we sign Smith he will actually play in the halves as posses all the attributes to be a good half and it may prolong his career or if our recruiting is done which i think it is, i reckon itll be hodges who'll play like a john sutton role and the kicking will fall on hunt and macca.

Why would we play a 32 year old QLD and Australian winning hooker out of position, to prolong his career ?

If he comes he should, and probably will play hooker.
I don't see him being the halves answer IMO

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
I would rather keep all our star players than have smith for a few years on 1 million a year IMO

B

brodster_1

BRL Player
Jul 2, 2013
Why would we play a 32 year old QLD and Australian winning hooker out of position, to prolong his career ?

just my oppinion doesn't mean its right. I just think that is what would Happen. And I ththink he actually would make a good five eight he can kick pass organise everything you want out of a good five eight he can also mentor macca as well.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

Agree totally with this. It's sensible IMO to develop our own halves, or buy a premiership with DCE or Milford :rofl:

If we went for Smith as hooker, then there might be some logic in playing Macca at 6, although I know there is a lot of scepticism about that move, and I still think we should look to a permanent 5/8 starting in 2014 developed from our juniors.

As well, 2014 is the year Hunt's star rises or falls - rises for mine. I think he is the goods. Just hope he doesn't make his supporters sound like silly BHunts

Last edited:
Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
I think Ben Hunt's best position is likely going to be be 5/8. He's a naturally skillful ball player and ball runner, and can see things others can't and plays off the back of that. Someone who is a more structured player would be a better foil to his game. Someone to direct players, kick, etc. I don't know if Strasser or Taylor are this kind of player, but that's how I'd be structuring the team next year. Or, you play Hoffman at 5/8.

1. Barba
2. JYY/Copley/Kahu/*Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Hoffman/*Hodges
5. Vidot
6. B. Hunt
7. Strasser

??

* Hodges when he's back from injury goes to right centre and Hoffman to the wing.

Last edited:
rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I think Ben Hunt's best position is likely going to be be 5/8. He's a naturally skillful ball player and ball runner, and can see things others can't and plays off the back of that. Someone who is a more structured player would be a better foil to his game. Someone to direct players, kick, etc. I don't know if Strasser or Taylor are this kind of player, but that's how I'd be structuring the team next year. Or, you play Hoffman at 5/8.

1. Barba
2. JYY/Copley/Kahu/*Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Hoffman/*Hodges
5. Vidot
6. B. Hunt
7. Strasser

??

* Hodges when he's back from injury goes to right centre and Hoffman to the wing.

The brief quote I saw from Hook somewhere was that Taylor showed him good signs of being able to direct a team around the park.

Aside from which, 6 & 7 seem to be interchangeable in that they play different sides of the park.

A team I would like to see in 2 trials is:

Barba (His permanent place)
Vidot
Reed
Copley then Mills
Hoffman
Hunt
Taylor then Strasser
Kennedy
Macca
McGuire
Gillett
Glenn
Oates

Granville
Hannant
Lowrie
Hala

Last edited:
rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
My logic is that Gillett and Glenn both belong on the left and right edges respectively where they can be so damaging.

Oates ... well, I reckon some hard work in the back row playing up the middle is good education, and for all we know he might have ball playing skills - may as well check it out.

As well, watching that try he scored v Knights showed me he is quite brutal and very quick. How many back rowers give Uate a run for his money?

Reed for mine is our 2nd best centre and that is where he should be for 2014 - we have enough proven back rowers to start a garage sale

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
The way I see the halves playing is much like towards the end of this year. Prince was taking the ball one off the ruck and distributing to Hunt who then created from there. He's better off getting the ball one wider where he can use his speed and passing game. Additionally, Prince acted as a good foil to Hunt, who is still a bit rough 'round the edges and needs that more solid, less risk taking partner, IMO.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
The way I see the halves playing is much like towards the end of this year. Prince was taking the ball one off the ruck and distributing to Hunt who then created from there. He's better off getting the ball one wider where he can use his speed and passing game. Additionally, Prince acted as a good foil to Hunt, who is still a bit rough 'round the edges and needs that more solid, less risk taking partner, IMO.

I think Hunt is very much "undiscovered country" and we need to give him every opportunity to show his skills and the positioning best suited to his play after a number of games.

He popped up on the left a a few times and did some very good things, and I will admit I am really really keen to see how Taylor performs.

After watching Strasser play in QCup, I will admit my view of him has cooled a bit, and I haven't seen Taylor play at all, just read about him. Yes, he is only 19, but then, so is Milford and I believe we need to take a few risks with our young talent.

NB: I am NOT comparing Taylor to Milford at this stage, just saying it is good practice to develop our juniors in the pre-season

Last edited:

Active Now

• Strop
  • Xzei
  • Bucking Beads
  • GCBRONCO
  • Manofoneway
  • Cavalo
  • Jazza
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Morkel
  • Lostboy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Waynesaurus
  • RodF
  • bazza
  • Galco
  • Scorchie
  • Foordy
  • broncos4life
  • Allo
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.