2014 Ladies and Gentlemen

rhino

rhino

NYC Player
Aug 27, 2013
your kidding yourself if you think Thaiday will start on the bench.

The rest is about right though, only change i would make is start Gillett from the bench, i think he would be better being used as an impact player

Gillett and Glenn are 80 min players, Thaiday isn't. I agree you will prob not see Thaiday start from the bench because we picked him as captain. Witch in its self has to be the dumbest choice ever. Over Thaiday's career the best performances are from him when he is playing 40min not 60min and used in the back end of halves on edges. (This is fact not fairytales) Gillett's form warrants 80mins, but Glenn atm doesn't so he is who I would take off and replace with Thaiday. We also have Oates for impact so I don't think Gillett needs to be super sub off the bench anymore. Oates to be used just like Thaiday, Late in the half running on edges. IMO

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
No doubt Thaiday should be on the bench at this point but he'll finish out his career as a starter playing long minutes, unfortunately. I'd agree that Glenn is the second rower that would give way on current form, so a backrow of Gillett, Thaiday and Parker seems most likely. I think I'd rather start McGuire, with either Kennedy or Hannant on the bench, although I can see an argument for bringing McGuire on at the twenty minute mark to play the remaining sixty. Still, I'd say he's our form prop, and the one with the most potential, and deserves a starting spot.

I'd like to see a bit more of Oates playing in the forwards before I was happy with him as a permanent bench backrower. He looks to me like he needs to develop a bit more to handle the workload of an NRL forward, even off the bench. I'd be happy to be wrong, but I'm hesitant to name him the next big thing just yet, on the back of some solid performances on the wing.

I am keen to see Granville or Baptiste on the bench permanently, though, to give us a spark when McCullough comes off.

rhino

rhino

NYC Player
Aug 27, 2013
No doubt Thaiday should be on the bench at this point but he'll finish out his career as a starter playing long minutes, unfortunately. I'd agree that Glenn is the second rower that would give way on current form, so a backrow of Gillett, Thaiday and Parker seems most likely. I think I'd rather start McGuire, with either Kennedy or Hannant on the bench, although I can see an argument for bringing McGuire on at the twenty minute mark to play the remaining sixty. Still, I'd say he's our form prop, and the one with the most potential, and deserves a starting spot.

I'd like to see a bit more of Oates playing in the forwards before I was happy with him as a permanent bench backrower. He looks to me like he needs to develop a bit more to handle the workload of an NRL forward, even off the bench. I'd be happy to be wrong, but I'm hesitant to name him the next big thing just yet, on the back of some solid performances on the wing.

I am keen to see Granville or Baptiste on the bench permanently, though, to give us a spark when McCullough comes off.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

Well, with Wallace gone, and with the obsession of playing 2 hookers, it will have to be either Granville or Baptiste won't it?

Oates? Bench back rower? Why? Who is going to play wing? Maranta?

Haven't we got enough back rowers?

Don't we need to blood a replacement centre/wing?

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I'd play Oates at fullback if it kept Maranta out.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Well, with Wallace gone, and with the obsession of playing 2 hookers, it will have to be either Granville or Baptiste won't it?

Oates? Bench back rower? Why? Who is going to play wing? Maranta?

Haven't we got enough back rowers?

Don't we need to blood a replacement centre/wing?
Baptiste and Granville have both been linked to other clubs, though not officially. I'd hate to lose both of them without giving either a decent shot at first grade.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Baptiste and Granville have both been linked to other clubs, though not officially. I'd hate to lose both of them without giving either a decent shot at first grade.

We have a few spots left in our 25 correct? I'd say we'll tie one of them up next.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I'd prefer Oates to be coming off the bench as an impact player but if he is the best option I am happy for him to play in the backs. He certainly isn't a natural winger but his performances there this year show how classy he is. Not sure who starts on the bench whether it be McGuire or Kennedy I don't think it matters. The tough one is Glenn or Gillett off the bench? I think Gillett starts he is just that good IMO.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
I think McGuire off the bench, Kennedy / Hannat starting - let the bigger boppers have the first 20 mins, then bring McGuire on to run riot.

I too would like to see Thaiday coming off the bench, Glenn + Gillette to start.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I was not looking forward to next season if we kept the same squad but signing Barba is a massive coup.

I have to say I'm excited for next year. Barba alone makes our entire attack and gameplan way more effective. We have a genuine game breaker with speed who can win matches and Kennedy is a great addition to our forward pack.

1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. JYY
:001_tt1:

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Why include Hodges and JYY though?? Especially Hodges who won't be back until after Origin. Be a bit more realistic please. Plus you've dropped Reed which is beyond ridiculous.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Why include Hodges and JYY though?? Especially Hodges who won't be back until after Origin. Be a bit more realistic please. Plus you've dropped Reed which is beyond ridiculous.
My mistake mate, I genuinely forgot about including Reed :laugh:

1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. JYY/Kahu/Oates

With Hodges to come.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Good news ppl, we re-signed Granville for another year.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Granville was never leaving IMO. With Wallace being moved on and Hunt being given the #7 he knows he has a real chance to cement a first grade spot.

Next year is looking so much better already, we'll have a genuine bench hooker, a really good prop on the verge of rep selection and a great fullback.

Barba signing will no doubt make it appealing for other players to sign with us as well, he's a player that others would want to play with. If we can get a good half from somewhere (reserves or otherwise) we'll be set to have a real shot at the premiership next year.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
As far as I know his played at fullback, not sure about 5/8th or halfback, McCullough played 5/8th in his junior and under 20's but I don't think he was rated too highly there, assuming we don't get Milford next season the club will need to find someone to fill in at 5/8th.

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Broncorob
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Jedhead
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  • Dash
  • Mister Wright
  • Behold
  • leon.bott
  • Skyblues87
  • I bleed Maroon
  • bb_gun
  • Waynesaurus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.