2016 Strongest Line-Up

T

Taylor1921

QCup Player
Apr 18, 2014
Re: Looking Ahead to 2016

Caleb Timu is back! I had high hopes for this kid! I really hope he gets a gig.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013

Ben Te’o’s NRL return with Broncos blocked by “Israel Folau rule”

Chris Garry The Courier-Mail

origin:video_integrator.A4ZHI2eDoR6vDQSeucr9sAvtXZcg9hHZ

THE “Israel Folau rule” will stop the Broncos from recruiting Ben Te’o.

The same rule that stopped Parramatta signing Folau would likely prevent any NRL club from buying Te’o back from rugby union.

The Broncos have not spoken to Te’o but like most clubs would consider him if he declared interest in resuming his NRL career.

However, the NRL’s notional value rules and the potential extension of Brisbane’s backrow crop means it is highly unlikely the hard-running backrower will end up at Red Hill.
South Sydney are actively trying to secure Te’o while the North Queensland Cowboys have also shown interest.
If Te’o decides to return to the NRL next season, an option he has told friends he is considering, he would only be available in late April.
v1

That means Te’o would be signing a six month contract for 2016, presenting a potential cap nightmare for the NRL and any club that signs him.

The NRL’s notional value rules cruelled the Eels’ attempts to sign Folau for the 2013 season. It was the first strike from the NRL in their attempts to stop cap manipulation through back ended contracts and third-party heavy deals.

The governing body is already on edge about Te’o’s return.

Te'o would be hot property if he decides to return to the NRL.Te’o, whose girlfriend now lives in Brisbane, is notionally a $400,000 a season signing but he is also not worth that much money for six months or in his first year back from playing for Irish rugby club Leinster.

This could present a dilemma for any NRL club trying to get a reduced deal approved by the NRL’s cap auditors.
The Cowboys were in talks to securing Te’o for the back half of this year but the NRL did not want to register a six month contract that would have allowed Te’o to return to Irish rugby.
The NRL once blocked Benji Marshall’s attempts to play Japanese rugby in the NRL off season because they don’t want their competition to be a halfway house.

The Broncos declined to comment on the Te’o situation but privately believe they are little chance of securing him.
Te’o played for Brisbane from 2009 to 2012 before signing with the South Sydney Rabbitohs and then starring in their premiership season of 2014.

Te’o is rugged defender and hard-line runner who possesses a deft off-load.
He has played well for Leinster but has told friends he is finding the lack of involvement in rugby union frustrating.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...srael-folau-rule/story-fnp0lyn6-1227569343229

Last edited:
I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013

So we're fucked because of the NRL's incompetence in dealing with players returning to the code?

Great.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013

So we're ****ed because of the NRL's incompetence in dealing with players returning to the code?

Great.

I don't this will be much of a problem, as I think Big Pete said Jaydn Su'A is a great Ben Te'o like prospect coming through and we also already have great second row depth.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Well that's disappointing.

It never ceases to amaze me just how incompetent the NRL. It floors me sometimes that we remain a professional game.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

Who cares that we have good depth in the second row?

None of them are better than Ben Te'o, at the moment.

You should always pursue the best players when you have the chance.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013

I just don't believe he is worth bending over backwards for, of course it would be nice to have him though.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013

What would the nrl do if Jarryd Hayne wants to play nrl for 6 months while the nfl is in hiatus? Hmm

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

Big call in regards to a player currently playing Irish rugby...

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013

Exactly. . Gillett Thaiday Glenn Parker Oates ..? ****, even Blair is a dual position player. .

Look, lets be real here, we don't need him. He would be superfluous to our needs. If you sign him for the money he'd be worth, we risk bottoming out on player retention. You'll start seeing us lose players like oates copley Nikorima and Offalongue.

Not worth it when we already have a full qld and international back row.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport.../story-fnp0lyn6-1227569335228?from=public_rss

THE Broncos have six frontline players off contract next season but are expected to only lose one, either Dale Copley or Lachlan Maranta.

The talented outside backs are off contract and fighting for one place in the starting 13 next season and whoever fails to secure it is understandably likely to want out.

Brisbane want to and are confident of retaining all their off-contract top-tier players but it is near certain either Copley or Maranta will look for a better opportunity than the Intrust Super Cup.

Both played their final games of the season for Norths Devils.

They are better players than that and the player that doesn’t make the Broncos backline early in the year could seek an early release.

Jordan Kahu is the first in line to replace Justin Hodges at right centre but the job is by no means guaranteed to be his and could be taken by Copley.

He will need to impress during trials and the Broncos World Club Series match against Wigan to secure it.

During NRL grand final week, Copley trained at right centre as a precaution for Hodges who was battling a back injury, with Kahu to remain on the right wing if their captain did go down.

Maranta was Brisbane’s leading tryscorer this year with 15 and has improved rapidly in the past 18 months.

Kahu and 20-year-old utility Corey Oates prevented him from making the team during the finals.

The remaining off-contract Broncos first graders are Matt Gillett, Jarrod Wallace, Kodi Nikorima and Corey Parker.

Parker is expected to retire but he is capable of continuing his NRL career, winning best player at the Broncos’ season awards.

Copley was considered a likely State of Origin player only 18 months ago.

In 2014, Hodges said Copley was the ideal replacement for the injured Brent Tate ahead of Origin III.

“With Tatey out, I think it is a good chance for Dale Copley to get a run — he would suit Origin,” Hodges said.

“We play together each week and I feel comfortable with him beside me. He wouldn’t let anyone down.”

The Maroons selectors ultimately went with Will Chambers.

A series of head knocks and niggling injuries to Copley early this year opened the door for Jack Reed to cement a centre position and the England Test player took it with both hands, relegating Copley to Norths.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

I read it the same way you did initially, but I think he means the depth options like S'ua, Arrow, Greinke, Cherrington etc.

Which is fine but you've got to consider that if the Broncos sign Te'o it may cost them a chance to re-sign a player coming off contract in 2016 or a player in a position the club may need to address.

Unbreakable's post highlights that dilemna somewhat. Depending on how much the NRL values Te'o (it could be something absurd like 500K) it would cut into the extensions you could offer those other players as you wouldn't get a lot of change out of Parker's likely retirement.

By the by, I defended the Reed > Copley selection for 2015 but really hope Dale is selected about Reed in 2016. A centre combo of Kahu/Copley could be really deadly.

Last edited:
Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013

The remaining off-contract Broncos first graders (For 2017) are Matt Gillett, Jarrod Wallace, Kodi Nikorima and Corey Parker.

I wonder which of them we'll retain, I assume Parker will retire, I wouldn't be that upset if we lost Wallace. Kodi will probably get an extension. Gillett is a very interesting one, I love him as a player and I'd be happy to re-sign him, but I can't help but think a lot of our positional problems would be solved if he wasn't around come 2017, the salary cap space could be useful in our pursuit of retaining all of our young guns as well.

8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Te'o

14. Nikorima
15. Ofahengaue
16. Gavet
17. Molo / Timu / Arrow / Fai / Hipgraves

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013

Election 2016: Broncos outside backs edition. Copley v Maranta.

If I were forced to choose between those two......*sigh* it is actually pretty difficult. Copley's position is Centre, without question, so retaining him pushes Kahu out to the Wing which is fine, he's good out there.

But that changes the debate to Kahu v Maranta, because Kahu's benefits on the edge are the same as Maranta's, he's good under the high ball. Maranta is probably better under the high ball, but Kahu is decent at that job while also being infinitely more talented than Maranta in general play.

So basically I reckon Maranta should go. He won't be a depth winger with the likes of Anderson on his tail. Some club that needs a safe pair of hands at the back will pick him up.

broncoboy

broncoboy

QCup Player
Oct 15, 2015
ive seen in many peoples team they have included james gavet is he a gun?

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013

You really don't need to ask in 4 different threads about James Gavet dude. We haven't seen much of him either, he played 1 game this season, but he looked good off the bench for the Tigers in 2014.

broncoboy

broncoboy

QCup Player
Oct 15, 2015

1. Boyd
2. Oats
3. Reed/Copley
4. Kahu
5. Anderson
6. Milf
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McC
10. Blair
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Nikorima
15. Joe O
16. Wallace
17. Gavet
Gillete is done in my books. Hope he leaves[/QUOTE]

are u dumb gillet is a beats and is only gonna get better with explosive balls running, good defensive and ball playing skills how could you keep him out of the team especially being a regular member of the Queensland side and scoring tries in origin

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013

Just a big, strong, explosive and aggressive forward that is perfect coming off the bench. He has a lot of potential, but as we saw in round 1 this year does have a tendency to try a stupid pass or offload or give away a penalty.

Active Now

• Big Del
  • broncoscope
  • Bish
  • Waynesaurus
  • leon.bott
  • Sproj
  • maddo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.