2016 Strongest Line-Up

lets put Oates in the centres, further minimizing copleys chances muahahaha

Wingers are basically pseudo forwards nowadays anyway. Having Oates at the back to take crucial, barnstorming hit ups when our forwards were struggling to get back was invaluable last year. Don't fix what ain't broke.

You make a profound point!

Thing is, oates has an issue with fitness and developmental issues with his body. He might not be able to take the constant hard hits as his body didn't develop to absorb it, therfore he'd be constantly injured.

Why i stop listening a lot of the time when people talk about how he'll be one of the best back rowers in the game. . I feel none of them have read up on his fitness issues

I'm totally on the fence at this stage about where he'll end up. I can understand and have heard the comments made regarding his fitness, but just wondering what you mean by the latter comment?

He seems like a strapping, bone dense, monster of a guy. Where have the concerns of him not being able to take impact come from? Isn't he 106 odd kg's?

Not questioning you, just comes as news to me.

I'm totally on the fence at this stage about where he'll end up. I can understand and have heard the comments made regarding his fitness, but just wondering what you mean by the latter comment?

He seems like a strapping, bone dense, monster of a guy. Where have the concerns of him not being able to take impact come from? Isn't he 106 odd kg's?

Not questioning you, just comes as news to me.

I was trying to find the article cause i was expecting to be q'd on it. . Struggling to find it.. Only finding articles related to his aerobic fitness issues.

It was the one where they said his body was at the point of someone mid career rather than a 20yo

There was a time in the not too distant past when Corey Oates would laugh when teammates at Brisbane likened him to Benjamin Button.

“They used to give me a fair bit of stick about the fact I was the youngest bloke in the squad with the oldest body,” Oates told The Australian.

“Until this year I probably took it as a bit of a joke and laughed along, but when I sat down with the coach and conditioning staff at the start of this year they gave me a bit of a reality check.

“I hadn’t taken my physical preparation seriously prior to that — and that is just being honest. It wasn’t something I put a lot of thought into, not before then anyway.”

While careful not to disclose too many details, Oates admitted his initial conversations with returning head coach Wayne Bennett and his right-hand man Jeremy Hickmans were “pretty frank and direct”.

At just 20, Oates, considered by many good judges to be among the best backrow talents in the NRL, was a late starter at pre-season training for the third straight season.

As had been the case in his first two years in the Broncos system, Oates had been forced to undergo off-season surgery — a cleanout on his shoulder and knee taking his number of operations since graduating from high school to seven.
Oates said he had already undergone surgery on both wrists, both shoulders, both knees and his back. It is the sort of list one might expect to be associated with a veteran of 10 years at the top level.

“I think I just realised I was really putting myself at risk of having my NRL career finished by the time I turned 25 if I didn’t start taking this area of my football more seriously,” Oates said. “I spoke to some of the older guys here — Corey Parker and Justin Hodges have been really good. Hodgo has been really into me about ticking every box and getting the little areas right, not cutting corners.

“Cozza sets a great example. He is just the most professional guy I have ever seen, so it has been a case of just following their lead and making sure I am doing the things I have to do to ensure I can get out on the park and do the things I know I am capable of doing to help the team.”

At 107kg, Oates cuts an imposing frame and while earmarked as a future representative forward, insists he is more than happy easing his way into the middle of the park via stints on the wing and coming off the interchange.

There was a time in the not too distant past when Corey Oates would laugh when teammates at Brisbane likened him to Benjamin Button.

“They used to give me a fair bit of stick about the fact I was the youngest bloke in the squad with the oldest body,” Oates told The Australian.

“Until this year I probably took it as a bit of a joke and laughed along, but when I sat down with the coach and conditioning staff at the start of this year they gave me a bit of a reality check.

“I hadn’t taken my physical preparation seriously prior to that — and that is just being honest. It wasn’t something I put a lot of thought into, not before then anyway.”

While careful not to disclose too many details, Oates admitted his initial conversations with returning head coach Wayne Bennett and his right-hand man Jeremy Hickmans were “pretty frank and direct”.

At just 20, Oates, considered by many good judges to be among the best backrow talents in the NRL, was a late starter at pre-season training for the third straight season.

As had been the case in his first two years in the Broncos system, Oates had been forced to undergo off-season surgery — a cleanout on his shoulder and knee taking his number of operations since graduating from high school to seven.
Oates said he had already undergone surgery on both wrists, both shoulders, both knees and his back. It is the sort of list one might expect to be associated with a veteran of 10 years at the top level.

“I think I just realised I was really putting myself at risk of having my NRL career finished by the time I turned 25 if I didn’t start taking this area of my football more seriously,” Oates said. “I spoke to some of the older guys here — Corey Parker and Justin Hodges have been really good. Hodgo has been really into me about ticking every box and getting the little areas right, not cutting corners.

“Cozza sets a great example. He is just the most professional guy I have ever seen, so it has been a case of just following their lead and making sure I am doing the things I have to do to ensure I can get out on the park and do the things I know I am capable of doing to help the team.”

At 107kg, Oates cuts an imposing frame and while earmarked as a future representative forward, insists he is more than happy easing his way into the middle of the park via stints on the wing and coming off the interchange.

So it sounds pretty serious. . And to the fact bennett sees him as a winger now makes it look like a future in the forwards is at risk. Which would be a shame

I'm happy as long as Oates is playing for us.

This thread will explode when Jr announces where he signed.

Boyd
Oates
Inglis
Roberts
Maranta
Milford
Hunt
McGuire
McCullough
Blair
Glenn
Gillett
Parker

Nikorima
Thaiday
Teo
Wallace

Boyd
Oates
Inglis
Roberts
Maranta
Milford
Hunt
McGuire
McCullough
Blair
Glenn
Gillett
Parker

Nikorima
Thaiday
Teo
Wallace

Have you taken a head knock recently .... Because Maranta over Kahu, i mean seriously.

Boyd
Roberts
Reed
Copley
Kahu
Milford
Hunt
McGuire
McCullough
Blair
Glenn
Gillett
Parker

Nikorima
Wallace
Thaiday
Ofahengue

Oates to play 2nd row Q cup and build up stamina

Last edited:
Round 1:

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Kahu
4. Roberts
5. Anderson
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Nikorima
15. Thaiday
16. Wallace
17. Ofahengaue

:)

Round 1:

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Kahu
4. Roberts
5. Anderson
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Nikorima
15. Thaiday
16. Wallace
17. Ofahengaue

:)

What about Copley?

It's been confirmed we signed Roberts so im guessing copleys on the move to reportedly Parramatta

Active Now

• porouian
  • Pablo
  • TimWhatley
  • Sproj
  • Morkel
  • whykickamoocow
  • winslow_wong
  • ezpz
  • theshed
  • Waynesaurus
  • Justwin
  • Wolfie
  • heartly87
  • Broncosgirl
  • Manifesto
  • Totally Unr3al
  • bb_gun
  • Mr Fourex
  • Old Mate
  • Big Del
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.