2016 Strongest Line-Up

Test half headed back to the bench - NRL.com

He may have returned to Broncos training as an incumbent Test halfback but utility Kodi Nikorima knows he is headed back to the bench in preparation for the 2016 season.

With Shaun Johnson and Kieran Foran both unavailable for the Kiwis' tour of England last November New Zealand coach Stephen Kearney entrusted the No.7 jersey to brilliant Warriors youngster Tuimoala Lolohea for the first Test before handing the responsibility to Nikorima for the final two Tests of the series.

No player of a tier one nation played more Tests at halfback than Nikorima did in 2015 but given the superb displays of Brisbane halves Ben Hunt and Anthony Milford last year Nikorima knows that for the meantime his best hope of cracking the Broncos 17 is a spot on Wayne Bennett's bench.

With the ability to play hooker, halfback or fullback, the 21-year-old shapes as a key weapon for Brisbane in the new era of eight interchanges and says he has no grand designs on unseating either Hunt or Milford... yet.

"I don't see myself as a Shaun Johnson or a Kieran Foran as yet but hopefully work my way up there in the future," Nikorima told NRL.com.

"I guess I got lucky in a way with no Shaun Johnson and Kieran Foran not being there. 'Mooksy' (Kearney) had to look elsewhere and I didn't get the nod at the start but he gave me an opportunity in the last two games and I'm thankful for that.

"Our halves did a fantastic job last year and it was their first time together so I know they can go to another level and I'm hoping they do this year."

Apart from a couple of short stints at hooker coming through the junior ranks, Nikorima's debut season in the NRL last year was also the first time he had been used extensively out of dummy-half.

With a history of playing predominantly in the halves and at fullback Nikorima's blistering speed made him a dangerous proposition in the final quarter of games, coming up with 14 tackle-breaks, five line breaks and two try assists despite limited minutes.

He came up with a crucial play 15 minutes from full-time that took the Broncos a long way towards victory in their Week One finals clash with the Cowboys but says there is still much to the hooking role that he has to develop further to remain an NRL regular.

"I'll approach it the same like I did last year. Every position is up for grabs so I'm hoping to grab a bench spot again and just go from there," he said.

"It's a lot different to the halves and fullback role. There's a lot of fitness involved, you're always on the ball and you've got to talk more and talk to your forwards.

"Having forwards like 'Blairy' (Adam Blair), 'Cozza' (Corey Parker) and Sammy [Thaiday] that talk to you, it just makes your job easier.

"I'm still doing extras on my hooking, my passing and practising my kicking, the same as last year but hoping to take it to another level this year."

Our boys all have stronger swimmers apparently.

20th January - Jack Reed and wife have child
22nd January - Alex Glenn and fiancee have child
25th January - Corey Parker and wife have child

Yea I think nikorima is such a valuable asset to our team. He's quite good defensively considering his size and we all know his quickness and footwork

Our boys all have stronger swimmers apparently.

20th January - Jack Reed and wife have child
22nd January - Alex Glenn and fiancee have child
25th January - Corey Parker and wife have child

We just need to figure out what happened around mid to late April last year that got them all hot under the collar. Is that when we hit the top of the table?

Looks like we have a really bright future. First, with our youngsters like opacic, grienke, arrow, molo, Boyce, ofahengaue, timu. Then our two forwards we signed Salesi Funaki - a juniot Kangaroo and Herman Ese'ese. Now we signed promising centre Marion Seve - a former Australian Schoolboys player and a Peter Sterling Medalist! And this is after signing Tevita Pengai Jr - Australian merit u15s, NSW 16s and 18s, Junior Kangaroos.

Glenn played his 150th and Reed his 100th in rnd 7 - 17th April

Yea I think nikorima is such a valuable asset to our team. He's quite good defensively considering his size and we all know his quickness and footwork
One of the most dangerous 9's players getting about. I have seen some videos of the kid play. No doubt he has a serious footballing brain and the talent to go along with it. My only doubt on the kid is his size & what position he plays. Hooker i feel could be his best position.

Would be quite the replacement for your #9 Macca, who i feel is a bit of a passenger in your side - especially considering the value of a quality #9 in your side.

One of the most dangerous 9's players getting about. I have seen some videos of the kid play. No doubt he has a serious footballing brain and the talent to go along with it. My only doubt on the kid is his size & what position he plays. Hooker i feel could be his best position.

Would be quite the replacement for your #9 Macca, who i feel is a bit of a passenger in your side - especially considering the value of a quality #9 in your side.
Nikorima is a quality player in the making but to describe Macca as a passenger is just rubbish. He needs to improve his attack and I am sure he knows that and will make it happen but I think a lot of people are blowing his short comings out of proportion. A couple of years ago he was starting to get the hang of when to run and then Hodges started pushing in too often. This is his year.

i had a good look at the roster tonight as i hadnt paid much attention previously. i can see now why wayne has been agressive in recruitment well in advance.
seeing the likes of rockley, barr, berrell, boyce, murphy, nicholls, eden and greinke in our top squad is of massive concern. its hard to see any of these guys going on or being a threat to any of the regulars.

i had a good look at the roster tonight as i hadnt paid much attention previously. i can see now why wayne has been agressive in recruitment well in advance.
seeing the likes of rockley, barr, berrell, boyce, murphy, nicholls, eden and greinke in our top squad is of massive concern. its hard to see any of these guys going on or being a threat to any of the regulars.

Can you see anyone making their debut for the club this year Talanoa? Any bolters..

barring a horrible run of injuries, i doubt we will see a serious number.
alick is high on the list and early fave for the vacant wing spot. ese'ese is killing it on the training paddock so i reckon he will be there round 1, the likes of arrow and some oher fringe guys may get a stint during the year and depending on the origin period we may see scarlett. i had a look at the 20's also and su'a is potentially a big smokey, wayne may use him like he did with tapine at the knights and blood him off the bench during some stage of the year.
funaki is a tricky one, he coud easily play grade but he can be lazy. if wayne gets him right he could jump out of the ground and be real good

I find it hard to believe Ese'ese will be there in round 1.. Who's he going to replace on the bench? Thaiday? Wallace? Ofahengaue? Not likely.

Does anyone know if Marion Seve is a good player since we have just recruited him? And also how is Alick going with his development considering he was touted as being like Inglis when he was younger?

Active Now

• Shane Tronc
  • Fitzy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Scorchie
  • broncsgoat
  • broncotville
  • porouian
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Wild Horse
  • GCBRONCO
  • MrRobot
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • BruiserMk1
  • Sproj
  • Tim K
  • Scdeac
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Rough and Ready
  • Gaz
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.