2017 Line-up

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
[FONT=&quot]http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2016/11/07/arrow_set_for_crucia.html

Most players spend the off-season having a break from the rigours of a long year, but that is not the case for Brisbane young gun Jai Arrow.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Arrow has spent his time away from Red Hill on the tools, working hard to try and finish his plumbing apprenticeship that is now in its third year.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It means early mornings and long hours for Arrow as he tries to stick with the same routine that has seen him rise rapidly through Brisbane's ranks.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It's this dedication and work ethic that has him in contention for a starting jersey in 2017 after having played 12 games for the Broncos in 2016.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The 21-year-old lock told NRL.com that this coming pre-season will be the biggest of his career to date, after the retirement of captain Corey Parker and the departure of Jarrod Wallace to the Gold Coast Titans.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"It's the most important pre-season of my rugby league career. There are a few spots up for grabs so I need to work hard," Arrow said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"There will be plenty of competition with a few new boys coming to the club.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"I'm just focused on enjoying myself and whatever comes with that is a bonus. I feel when I'm enjoying myself that I play my best football.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Pre-season is only a few weeks away now so I can't wait to get back into it and see all the boys."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Arrow didn't even expect to crack the top grade in 2016, but great form for Intrust Super Club side the Norths Devils gave Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett no option but to pick him.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He made his NRL debut in Round 10 against the Sea Eagles, putting in a solid performance that saw him earn comparisons to his idol Parker.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]His debut was followed by a great run of form that saw him rewarded later in the year, with Arrow not missing an NRL match between Round 19 and the Broncos' eventual Semi-Final loss to the Cowboys.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Despite his outstanding first year in the NRL, Arrow is staying grounded.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He said although he loves his football and is happy with how his NRL career is progressing, getting out on the worksite can be just as rewarding.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"I'm doing my plumbing over the off-season and I love it. I'm still only an apprentice. I'm in my third year now so I'm working hard to get it done," he said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"It's great having something to keep me occupied. The NRL season is very long so you need something to get you away from football for a bit.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"I'm not that great at plumbing so it has been good to get better at it and learn a few things."[/FONT]

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Probably the most realistic round 1 team:

1. Boyd (c)

2. Oates
3. Kahu
4. Roberts
5. Mead
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. Glenn

14. Nikorima
15. Ese'ese
16. Pangai Jr
17. Dodds

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Probably the most realistic round 1 team:

1. Boyd (c)

2. Oates
3. Kahu
4. Roberts
5. Mead
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. Glenn

14. Nikorima
15. Ese'ese
16. Pangai Jr
17. Dodds

Replace Nikorima with Marshall and I'd say you're spot on with it being the most likely 17.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Replace Nikorima with Marshall and I'd say you're spot on with it being the most likely 17.

I just can't see where Benji would play when he came on, you reckon like Nikorima just go to hooker?

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
I just can't see where Benji would play when he came on, you reckon like Nikorima just go to hooker?
I'm struggling to get my head around it as well. I do know one thing, Benji won't play a second of Q-Cup and Niko will be spending plenty of time down there. Benji will probably spend considerable time at dummy half and various other positions when the need arises.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013

Positions don't mean shit to be quite honest with you, he'll come on and just play as a roaming 3rd Half, kind of like what Morgan does for QLD in Origin, he'll probably defend in the centres with Kahu defending left wing and Oates moving slightly in-field, but it'll only be for ~20 minutes a game or something

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Positions don't mean shit to be quite honest with you, he'll come on and just play as a roaming 3rd Half, kind of like what Morgan does for QLD in Origin, he'll probably defend in the centres with Kahu defending left wing and Oates moving slightly in-field, but it'll only be for ~20 minutes a game or something

You are probably right.

Feel sorry for Nikorima though after signing a two year extension... Has been really good for us in the majority of his games for and will be interesting to see what happens to him.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
You are probably right.

Feel sorry for Nikorima though after signing a two year extension... Has been really good for us in the majority of his games for and will be interesting to see what happens to him.
He'll be there each week. Trust me

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Leeson was never at the Broncos. Isaak was in 2008-2009.

Pretty sure they were both in the system. Isaac was the only one to play NRL but I remember both of their profiles being on the Broncos website.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
I cant see Nikorima being displaced by Benji as our utility. Benji will see time in Q Cup I reckon. Bennett wouldn't have re-signed Nikorima if he wasn't in our plans. Benji's signing is more focused on putting pressure on the halves.

J

jamesqld

NYC Player
Jun 6, 2013
I can see them rotating between ISC and the bench. It will give them both an opportunity wvery now and then to play longer minutes to keep match fitness. And giving Nickorima a run in ISC will give him a chance to potentially gain more skills in other positions like the halves, or give him a run as a starting hooker incase Macca goes down again.

You can't have a player playing 20mins a game off the bench for the entire season. It would limit their skills so much.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Will the Broncos break through for their seventh premiership in 2017?

Predicted team for Round 1, 2017

1. Darius Boyd 2. Corey Oates 3. Jordan Kahu 4. James Roberts 5. David Mead 6. Anthony Milford 7. Ben Hunt 8. Josh McGuire 9. Andrew McCullough 10. Adam Blair 11. Sam Thaiday 12. Matt Gillett 13. Jai Arrow 14. Alex Glenn 15. Kodi Nikorima 16. Tevita Pangai Junior 17. Jo Ofahengaue

Brisbane have great continuity among their squad with only a couple of minor question surrounding the makeup of their best team. Jordan Kahu could slide to the right wing if Bennett chooses to go with the impressive Tom Opacic at left centre while Arrow will have to overcome the challenge of Pangai Junior in order to secure a starting spot at lock. Ofahengaue may be pushed for the final spot on the bench by the returning Mitchell Dodds, who was a favourite of Bennett’s in 2015.

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

Last edited:
upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
I hope you're not all forgetting that the Broncos had a choice years ago between keeping Milford or Nikorima and they chose Nikorima. They rate him way too highly there for him to not be in the 17.

The only reason he should be in QLD cup is if he is going there to play halfback for a year and lead a team around so he has the experience unlike how Hunt was handled.

Glenn has come out and said Benji will be left centre. He must have a reason for believing that and relaying it to the media..

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I hope you're not all forgetting that the Broncos had a choice years ago between keeping Milford or Nikorima and they chose Nikorima. They rate him way too highly there for him to not be in the 17.

The only reason he should be in QLD cup is if he is going there to play halfback for a year and lead a team around so he has the experience unlike how Hunt was handled.

Glenn has come out and said Benji will be left centre. He must have a reason for believing that and relaying it to the media..
He didn't say that Marshall would definately be left center.

He said that Marshall would do a good job in the centers.

There is a difference. He was likely answering a question from the media designed to get the answer he gave, that way they could run the headline of "Marshall to play center for the Broncos"

The question was probably something along the lines of "how would Benji go if he plays centers next year?

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
I think it would be a great idea to put Pangai jr at lock he would be perfect fit with his impact and offload.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dexter
  • Harry Sack
  • sooticus
  • Manofoneway
  • BroncosAlways
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Shane Tronc
  • Aldo
  • Browny
  • Dash
  • kiwi2
  • Lostboy
  • maddo
  • Kev_Guz
  • Horseheadsup
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.