2018 NRL Side

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
people have this real obsession with size... when it isn't everything ...

take a look at how arguably the 3 biggest packs in the NRL went this year ... all missed the finals
Yeah I think this is a good point. Matt Scott arguably the best front rower in the game is 185cm and 109kg, which is hardly "big" when talking about props. Paul Gallen is 180cm and 103kg but basically plays prop and pumps out big meters. Big show for us isn't the biggest but he has great work rate and is mobile.

A prop can be just about anyone as long as they are affective in the role with the key requirements being work rate, meters and effective defence anything on top of that is a bonus.

Having big boppers may help in the meters department but if their mobility is limited they are an absolute liability in defence.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
people have this real obsession with size... when it isn't everything ...

take a look at how arguably the 3 biggest packs in the NRL went this year ... all missed the finals

giphy.gif

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
This kid has some toe.

I wouldn't mind blooding him and a couple of the other youngsters next year. Give them a few games to give them some experience.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
This kid has some toe.

I wouldn't mind blooding him and a couple of the other youngsters next year. Give them a few games to give them some experience.

While 'it's only 20s', I feel stuff like this is the biggest deficiency in Boyd's game. Dude is slow af and can't make something out of nothing unless it comes from a pass, which yes he is perfect at 99/100, but you've got Slater who is still quick at his age, then you've got Tedesco, Gutho/French, even RTS are also fast guys. We return kicks ultra-conservatively, which on face value isn't a bad thing, but Boyd's lucky we have Oates to cart the ball back because there's no chance he provides any quality kick returns

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
This kid has some toe.

Allen does seem to have a few to many deficiencies in his game.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Allan started the season awesomely. Loved watching him play but I think he got injured and because I'm overseas I've been unable to watch NYC games but I've heard he hadn't been playing as well. He's a big kid and stands out against the smaller Broncos backs. He runs hard, can take bombs, defends alright (For an u20s player, its hard to really tell). I think he has a future and I'm hoping it's with us.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Allen does seem to have a few to many deficiencies in his game.

That's pretty much the case for all reserve graders. That's why they are still in reserve grade.

Give him some time off the bench and give him a taste for the NRL. If his attitude is good, he'll be as hungry as ever to get back in the NRL and work harder on improving as a player.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Everything I've seen of Allan, he does well, the problem is that he struggles to get into the game. I've lost count the amount of times where Corey would be completely invisible then all of a sudden he'd make a line-break and just completely bust the game wide open. He's got tremendous agility, I'm just not sure on his speed and whether he's the type of fullback that could handle the physicality of the wing which is where he'd have to play if he played first grade.

I'd still like to see him in the mix and I'm sure the Broncos will continue his development next year.

Aside from Lodge, the other Dolphins player I'm looking forward to seeing is Tom Opacic. 2017 was a complete wash for Tom, two shoulder recos was a bridge too far and to Moga's credit I think he found his place in the first grade side. However with a fresh pre-season in-front of him, I could see Tom nailing that left hand side which is great because he's a footy player through and through and really tighten that side of the field for us.

I still think we'll see around half a dozen signings between now and November. Not all of them will be genuine first graders, but certainly talent that could be in the mix.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
Aside from Lodge, the other Dolphins player I'm looking forward to seeing is Tom Opacic. 2017 was a complete wash for Tom, two shoulder recos was a bridge too far and to Moga's credit I think he found his place in the first grade side. However with a fresh pre-season in-front of him, I could see Tom nailing that left hand side which is great because he's a footy player through and through and really tighten that side of the field for us.

I love Tommy O. Hope next season is his year.

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
How is Tom going for Redcliffe? Hated Moga at the start, but going to miss him.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Tom was beginning to find his best form before he was moved out onto the wing for the sake of Mogg's gameplan. Mogg wanted to go with two physical centres in Pangai and Teteh to help the Dolphins' exit sets. The problem is their selections stifled the Dolphins attack and a lot of their mistakes were usually a result of frustration more than anything else.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Tom was beginning to find his best form before he was moved out onto the wing for the sake of Mogg's gameplan. Mogg wanted to go with two physical centres in Pangai and Teteh to help the Dolphins' exit sets. The problem is their selections stifled the Dolphins attack and a lot of their mistakes were usually a result of frustration more than anything else.

From what im hearing, none of our boys want to go back to Redcliffe, and i'd be surprised if Wayne allowed them to anyway.

Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe

QCup Player
Dec 11, 2013
From what im hearing, none of our boys want to go back to Redcliffe, and i'd be surprised if Wayne allowed them to anyway.

I don't think Redcliffe will even be a choice for them next season

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
Opacic is too slow from what I remember and would get done for speed on the outside.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Opacic is too slow from what I remember and would get done for speed on the outside.

Aside from the Cowboys game when his shoulders were totally stuffed anyway, he didnt really get caught out in defence in 2016. He even outplayed Chambers in one of his games. Moga is faster than him yet he is a terrible defender. Being quick doesnt mean you wont get caught out.

Unread

Active Now

• Spooky1013
  • Fatboy
  • bert_lifts
  • Justwin
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Harry Sack
  • Organix
  • Wolfie
  • Alec
  • Dexter
  • Bucking Beads
  • Skathen
  • Mustafur
  • winslow_wong
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Gaz
  • Strop
  • vertigo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • FACTHUNT
... and 41 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.