Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
2. <Someone from Fiji>
We need to do what the Storm do -
1. find a Fijian winger
2. Pay them $80k for 2 years
3. Bugger them off when it comes time for a contract upgrade
4. Repeat

We actually need to do something similar for a few positions in order to free up some salary cap money.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013

If he finishes High School he's welcome back in to the 17. I'm sick of watching dumb players make dumb plays. I'd rather just sign 15 Fijian's who can jump and run, call it a lucky dip, maybe we get lucky a find the next Vunivalu, Addo-Carr or Koroibete. (How the **** have the Storm managed to land 3 incredible Fijian wingers in a row is beyond me)

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
If he finishes High School he's welcome back in to the 17. I'm sick of watching dumb players make dumb plays. I'd rather just sign 15 Fijian's who can jump and run, call it a lucky dip, maybe we get lucky a find the next Vunivalu, Addo-Carr or Koroibete. (How the **** have the Storm managed to land 3 incredible Fijian wingers in a row is beyond me)

Oates did all he could, not sure what he did wrong...

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Doesn't matter who plays where - have to be coached, drilled and bashed to offload at every opportunity, have support runners and get the ball to your game breakers.

I am sure Moose can offload if he was coached to do so and the whole side was structured to play that way. For mine, doesn't matter who plays where, unless the coaching changes, it will be yet more of the same next season

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Oates did all he could, not sure what he did wrong...

Re-watch the last month of footy, he has rocks in his head, nothing more. He pulls off incredible plays quite regularly, then finds a way to bomb 4 easy tries and come up with 8 errors in the space of 4 weeks.

I don't know what needs to change for him to become reliable, but he's about as far from reliable as can be in terms of wingers, I'd be more comfortable just moving him in-field so I don't have to worry about him diving at the corner with 1 hand on the ball (And the wrong hand for a dive in to the left corner, mind you.) for no reason every time.

Rellum

Rellum

BRL Player
Sep 30, 2016
this will be my first post here, been following the Broncs since year one but only found this forum this year, very slow of me :).

Next year is going to be a big shake up. Many faces gone, not much coming through. For me it would be a great time to re-invent the team and find a new playing style to shake up the NRL.

We need to find halves with a kicking game, Milf and Kodi don't have that as a pair. That is basically why Benji was getting a run at times. Hunt's kicking game was hot and cold but at least he had one, but moving him to hooker took all that away. Our attack lost most of our organisation once that halves pairing broke up. Kodi is great as a running half but we need a leader in there as well. Would Bird be that, I don't think so and I am on the side of that he needs to play at lock. There is just not much there at the moment, who is next, Sam Scarlett? That will be a tough decision for Benny.

Benny needs to sort out what our attack is going to be next year as well. This shifting styles can't continue. One out no risk stuff parts of the year, offloads and passing on other occasions. We need to pick on and work on it. I would rather the latter. Some of our young forwards look good for this coming through. Not sure about McGuire. He takes too much one out stuff with no offloads or variety.

We need a centre who can pass and play smart as well of course, I am not sure Opaic is that guy, maybe. I am a fan of Pearson and I hope he gets a go in the back line first up next year and maybe move Kahu to centre. He has no pace but he does have a football brain. The attack needs to find a why to get Roberts some ball with some room. i think some changes in direction close to the ruck with quick passing to drag defenders in before we swing it wide might work. This just going wide with set plays makes it too easy to get over and shut his space down. The great thing about Kevie and Renouf was that Kevie could give him that long ball on to his chest as Pearl accelerated to the outside of his man. This worked out for Roberts as well.

I can't see us doing much next year. I can see us playing a very forward dominated hit up game with Lodge in the team. Sammy is looking a bit past it as well.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
6. Shaun Nona
7. Kodi Nikorima
14. Anthony Milford

Milfords half breaks would be great coming off the bench in the last twenty. At least then they'll lead to something.

He was 4th for line breaks and first for line break assists for us this year

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
He was 4th for line breaks and first for line break assists for us this year

The only thing shocking about those stats is that there's been 4 people on our team who have made line-breaks this season

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
The only thing shocking about those stats is that there's been 4 people on our team who have made line-breaks this season

My point is (or was trying to be) is that his half breaks do lead to something

V

Viti

NRL Player
Feb 2, 2011
So I'm over the disappointment of this season already, looking forward to next year I'm hoping like all hell we end up signing Matt Lodge. I think he will make an enermous impact on the footy we play next year.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I've got some great news guys.

There's only 2 outside backs in the NRL this season with more than 15 games played who average 1.6 or more errors per game, and they're potentially going to be our left hand attack next season -

1.) Jack Bird - 1.7 errors per game
2.) Corey Oates - 1.6 errors per game

God help us all.

Painin the Haas

Painin the Haas

NRL Player
Nov 10, 2013
In many ways we can compare our team to parramatta. The smaller agile pack, a mixed and potent backline and a star half. But they didn't kick on until they found their halfback, a proper halfback. I really believe that's the missing piece

1.boyd.
2. Oates
3. <opacic or go to the market I read somewhere that nene McDonald is on the outer>
4.roberts
5.kahu
6.milford
7. <the million dollar question. Scarlett, Murphy, Nona, Taylor, t Roberts, Nicholls, who knows>
8.sims
9.macca
10.moose
11.glenn
12.gillett
13.bird

14.tpj
15.offa
16.thaiday
17.nikorima/lodge

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
I simply want to see us score 'easy' tries. Overlaps, hole-running forwards, outside-in plays, hell even 'simple' kick/grubber to wing tries. All simply constructed and executed tries. So often it seems we have to bust our arses trying or end up scoring despite ourselves.

on the side itself, I'd lose zero sleep if Boyd wasn't re-signed. He's one of the best defensive fullbacks in the game, but that's all you can say about him. I also still question his effort and you especially can't have that in a captain.

Team list because

1. Boyd/Isaako - purely because Boyd's future is undetermined, but for reasons above also
2. Pearson - so long as he gets a new pair of boots/Oates
3. Roberts
4. Opacic
5. Kahu
6. Milford
7. Niko - I like Kodi, but we really need a kicker. I'd be happy with Tyrone if it came to it.
8. Moose
9. Macca
10. Joffa
11. Glenn
12. Gillo
13. Bird - Would name TPJ but that puts Bird at centre and I want Oppa there
14. Niko/Nona/Murphy/Scarlett
15. TPJ
16. Lodge
17. Oates/Su'a/Thaiday (if he's lucky)

Another edit because I keep forgetting players: Sims, despite his tries, is Blair Lite and needs a serious rocket before making my team. 1%ers are a good thing, but I want metres. Game by game depending on opponents and thus bench makeup

Last edited:

Active Now

• Mick_Hancock
  • Shane Tronc
  • Organix
  • BroncosAlways
  • maddo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Painin the Haas
  • Dexter
  • Culhwch
  • Maroon4life
  • GCBRONCO
  • Strop
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.