2018 NRL Side

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
In many ways we can compare our team to parramatta. The smaller agile pack, a mixed and potent backline and a star half. But they didn't kick on until they found their halfback, a proper halfback. I really believe that's the missing piece

1.boyd.
2. Oates
3. <opacic or go to the market I read somewhere that nene McDonald is on the outer>
4.roberts
5.kahu
6.milford
7. <the million dollar question. Scarlett, Murphy, Nona, Taylor, t Roberts, Nicholls, who knows>
8.sims
9.macca
10.moose
11.glenn
12.gillett
13.bird

14.tpj
15.offa
16.thaiday
17.nikorima/lodge

Your million dollar question was answered about 3 months ago

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
1.Boyd
2.Oates
3. Roberts
4. Bird
5. kahu
6. Milford
7. Nikorima
8. McGuire
9. Macca
10.Lodge
11. Glenn
12. Gillet
13. ?

McGuire just cant offload and we need a lock who can. that is my 1 - 13 for next season a lot will say bird is to expensive to use at centre.
T
P
J

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I think our side will change a lot more then people are predicting next year. Opacic in for moga will make a massive difference. Moga has been good against weaker opposition bringing it out of our end but opacic will give us 1 less error + 1 less penalty + 1 less try against + 1 more try not blown per game average. I'm surprised Bennett stuck with him tbh because it's normally the opposite of what he wants. TPJ simply has to start and finish the game in 2 stints, he's become our most dynamic forward. Bird will stop us from kissing our rivals asses (he loves to get into the queenland "gods"). McGuire will go back to doing what he does best. Ofa will continue to grow and blair won't be there to be putting in a good game once a month max. Wouldn't have minded keeping ese ese for the bench (this game was his best since early in the year, he hasn't been outstanding this year like I thought he would after 4-5 rounds) but outside of that the rest can go and never come back..

I stand by what I've said before.... we have the team to win, we just respect the opposition too much. It's got nothing to do with our size of the pack or our kicking game that we lost that game and all our other big games. You can see it in their body language when they play the storm or the cowboys these days, and who has knocked us out the last 3 years?!

I love origin and what Queensland has done the last 11 years, but..... it's destroyed this club....

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Missing some props and a halfback.

Shouldn't be too hard to find? :ihatethosestormplayers:

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Could we be looking at something like this for next year? I can't seem to fit Thaiday in if Oates moves to the 2nd row. I also don't think a halves pairing of Niko and Milf will be good at all, for attack or defense.
1 Jack Bird
2 Jordan Kahu
3 Darius Boyd
4 James Roberts
5 David Mead
6 Anthony Milford
7 Kodi Nikorima
8 Josh McGuire
9 Andrew McCullough
10 Matt Lodge
11 Matt Gillett
12 Alex Glenn
13 Tevita Pangai Jr.
14 Tyrone Roberts
15 Korbin Sims
16 Joe Ofahengaue
17 Corey Oates

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Oates did all he could, not sure what he did wrong...

All those dropped balls, the worst kick of all time, bombed tries.

Things of that nature tend to be considered ‘wrong’ in the game of rugby league for some reason...

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I feel like this is our Tiger Woods moment (no not THAT moment) where he was world number one but changed his swing to become better.

We are not the best but in 2015 we were...comfortably if not for a brain explosion of a second half...but we have been surpassed. What do we do now? Do we keep sticking with good/very good or do we take a punt on going for greatness? I feel we need to re-invent somewhat now.

This means that the only 'safe' positions should be as follows:

3. Bird
5. Kahu
7. KNik
8. McGuire

Now don't get me wrong, guys like Roberts, Oates, Gillett, Milford, etc are not punted, they are all in the side but for me, the question mark is where. I think there needs to really be a lot of thought as to where and when these guys go on and in.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
I feel like this is our Tiger Woods moment (no not THAT moment) where he was world number one but changed his swing to become better.

We are not the best but in 2015 we were...comfortably if not for a brain explosion of a second half...but we have been surpassed. What do we do now? Do we keep sticking with good/very good or do we take a punt on going for greatness? I feel we need to re-invent somewhat now.

This means that the only 'safe' positions should be as follows:

3. Bird
5. Kahu
7. KNik
8. McGuire

Now don't get me wrong, guys like Roberts, Oates, Gillett, Milford, etc are not punted, they are all in the side but for me, the question mark is where. I think there needs to really be a lot of thought as to where and when these guys go on and in.

Do we switch Glenn + Gillett? I remember Gillett playing left 2RF a few years ago (I wanna say '13) and was awesome in attack. Not that we've really had issues going left, but it might stop him starving Roberts of ball which has come around again recently. Like most passing right to left is much easier but I feel his defence may not be as strong so I'm not sure if you change them. Glenn has come good again too so moving him may not be ideal. Alternative is putting Oates in there and have him run lines like a mofo but that means benching one of the others or Gillo to Lock.

Also, I'm not sure at all if Bird plays centre, so that spot may still be up for grabs. With no Milf at 6, does that mean you're leaning towards moving him back to 1 and punting Boyd? Or putting Jimmy back at 1? The prop forwards kind of pick themselves, with the only option of TPJ at lock, so it's just the rotation that may need changing. We have no hooker to challenge Macca, nor is there one available apart from maybe Lichaa, but Macca is here for a few more years yet (right?)

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Also, I'm not sure at all if Bird plays centre, so that spot may still be up for grabs. With no Milf at 6, does that mean you're leaning towards moving him back to 1 and punting Boyd? Or putting Jimmy back at 1? The forwards kind of pick themselves, with the only option of TPJ at lock, so it's just the rotation that may need changing. We have no hooker to challenge Macca, nor is there one available apart from maybe Lichaa, but Macca is here for a few more years yet (right?)

Yeah I actually agree about Bird, he will probably be lock and that is ok but the Roberts and Milf positions are the head scratchers because you've got to get it right. Should Milf go back to 1? Probably but it won't happen, too much is invested in him m, so for mine it should be Roberts with Allan given some shots throughout the season.

I think Roberts could be electric from the back with kick returns and he has a fantastic pass on him as well. Could he handle it defensively? I'm going to go against the grain and say he wouldn't be any worse than Boyd has been this season. Plus we just aren't using Roberts for some reason. At least these will negate that problem.

In the forwards, I think there are question marks. Joffa should start and TPJ may do so later in the season. McGuire needs to return to prop, he offers nothing as a lock that he doesn't do at prop. Su'a needs to be in there as well, plus Haas and Fifita will get shots throughout the year, maybe round one with a good preseason. Taueli, Lodge and probably Mago / Savelio (or whatever) might put their hands up.

I don't think Thaiday is safe anymore even though he was ok tonight. Losing Blair is fine but Arrow and Ese2 are losses. Fai may also force his way in with a good preseason. Where do you play Glenn and Gillett? Does Oates go to second row? A lot of important questions need to be answered in the preseason, probably the most crucial preseason in years.

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
I have absolutely no empirical evidence to back this up, but I feel like we've invested too much in our mid-range players. It's almost liked we've assembled a team of 7/10 players, on matching salaries. The trick we've seemed to miss, and it's possibly due to Bennett's reluctance to trust rookies, is finding 6/10 players who we can pay minimum wage, so we can replace our 7/10 players with 9/10 players.

I hate using the Storm as a benchmark, but they've had success by holding onto their guns while moving on any of their bit-part players as soon as they start to ask for more money. Addo-Carr and Vunivalu are the cheapest wing pair in the comp, but have managed 40 tries between them. Our wingers have done a terrific job, but are probably on 3 times the money. If they aren't scoring 3 times the tries, are we paying them too much?

Our squad as a whole compares favourably to any other, but compare our best 3 players to Cronk, Smith, Slater or Thurston, Scott, Morgan and we fall well short. When it comes to winning the big games, it's those players who make the difference.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Instead of building on 2015, we've gone backwards.

It shows that the problems are much deeper than the roster and a few signings isn't going to fix a thing.

We've got the fucking squad, we've had it for 3 years but we keep shitting the bed due to being weak mentally and a lack of hunger.

Maybe Bennett is past it and should step down, maybe his style of coaching just doesn't work anymore, maybe Bennett isn't the problem. But we're in for some more pain before things get better.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Instead of building on 2015, we've gone backwards.

It shows that the problems are much deeper than the roster and a few signings isn't going to fix a thing.

We've got the fucking squad, we've had it for 3 years but we keep shitting the bed due to being weak mentally and a lack of hunger.

Maybe Bennett is past it and should step down, maybe his style of coaching just doesn't work anymore, maybe Bennett isn't the problem. But we're in for some more pain before things get better.

This. There is a ‘give up’ attitude amongst this squad that has reared it’s head over and over since 2015, with innumerable instances of us dropping our heads, points getting piled on us and we do nothing. They have plenty of talent and have the potential to be be amazing, but the minute something isn’t working, it’s just about game over for us. A never say die attitude is what is needed but we simply don’t have it.

They can throw money at all the sports psychologists in the world, but not every problem can be fixed. Sometimes the problem just needs to be cut out and discarded.

Fortunately some of the main reasons offenders in this as I see them are leaving but some are still here. Some accountability needs to come back into this team for it’s performance and dropping one high profile player for one match to Q-Cup isn’t enough, in my book.

P

Pushkin

QCup Player
May 27, 2016
These are the players Broncos have to select for next year forward pack.
Front row
1 Josh Maguire.
2 Korbin Sims.
3 Matt lodge. ( he is good player but can he perform week to week)
4 Sam Thaiday. ( he should start from bench next year)
5 Joe Ofahengaue.
6 George Fai.
7 Sam Lavea.
8 Tevita Pantai Jnr.
9 Payne Haas.
10 Patrick Carrigan.
11 Patrick Mago.

Second row
1 Matt Gillett.
2 Alex Glenn.
3 Jack Bird.
4 Corey Oates.
5 Jaydn Su'A.
6 Andre Savelio.

Mitchell_Broncos

Mitchell_Broncos

NRL Player
Jun 21, 2016
If he finishes High School he's welcome back in to the 17. I'm sick of watching dumb players make dumb plays. I'd rather just sign 15 Fijian's who can jump and run, call it a lucky dip, maybe we get lucky a find the next Vunivalu, Addo-Carr or Koroibete. (How the **** have the Storm managed to land 3 incredible Fijian wingers in a row is beyond me)

Easy, go over the cap.

Mitchell_Broncos

Mitchell_Broncos

NRL Player
Jun 21, 2016
Re-watch the last month of footy, he has rocks in his head, nothing more. He pulls off incredible plays quite regularly, then finds a way to bomb 4 easy tries and come up with 8 errors in the space of 4 weeks.

I don't know what needs to change for him to become reliable, but he's about as far from reliable as can be in terms of wingers, I'd be more comfortable just moving him in-field so I don't have to worry about him diving at the corner with 1 hand on the ball (And the wrong hand for a dive in to the left corner, mind you.) for no reason every time.

Get a centre who can pass the ball to him and he will be scoring more. (reed) passed the ball to him all the time and he was the top try scorer, moga comes and he scores **** all

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
I have absolutely no empirical evidence to back this up, but I feel like we've invested too much in our mid-range players. It's almost liked we've assembled a team of 7/10 players, on matching salaries. The trick we've seemed to miss, and it's possibly due to Bennett's reluctance to trust rookies, is finding 6/10 players who we can pay minimum wage, so we can replace our 7/10 players with 9/10 players.

I hate using the Storm as a benchmark, but they've had success by holding onto their guns while moving on any of their bit-part players as soon as they start to ask for more money. Addo-Carr and Vunivalu are the cheapest wing pair in the comp, but have managed 40 tries between them. Our wingers have done a terrific job, but are probably on 3 times the money. If they aren't scoring 3 times the tries, are we paying them too much?

Our squad as a whole compares favourably to any other, but compare our best 3 players to Cronk, Smith, Slater or Thurston, Scott, Morgan and we fall well short. When it comes to winning the big games, it's those players who make the difference.

We almost had smith signed on big bucks, but Bellamy had a “chat” to him and he changed his mind. I do agree that we need an nrl favourite to have a chance, hopefully that’s Milford after the three tumours are removed from Melbourne and Jt retires from the cows.

Mitchell_Broncos

Mitchell_Broncos

NRL Player
Jun 21, 2016
All those dropped balls, the worst kick of all time, bombed tries.

Things of that nature tend to be considered ‘wrong’ in the game of rugby league for some reason...

Well thats the halves problem you shouldnt have you wingers kicking on last and he bombed 1 try and moga when he passes its a shit pass or forward.

Active Now

• Cavalo
  • Rambstien
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Old Mate
  • winslow_wong
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosAlways
  • Midean
  • Strop
  • Dash
  • Bucking Beads
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.