2018 NRL Side

Why can’t Sims be run on Prop he did for a good part of the year

He might, but I feel he will fall back in the pecking order to be honest. Bennett likes him and usually likes 2 props on the bench so it seems to me it will come down to Sims / Offa / Lodge fighting it out for one starting position and two bench positions because I am positive McGuire will have a starting prop position.

Thaiday will have another bench spot along with TPJ unless some gun utility is identified. But I am liking the forwards depth we have now managed to acquire.

When you look at our likely top 17 you don’t see much room for Savelio, Mago, Su’A etc, unless they train the house down and force their way in.

For sua, I think he will slowly work his way in. He's got time still on his side and a season or two yet before he needs to put up or be put out.

MAROONS coach Kevin Walters is back at Brisbane as the Broncos unveiled a British powerhouse likened in physical make-up to former NRL star Sonny Bill Williams.
Warrington recruit Andre Savelio was among the new faces as the Broncos officially launched their pre-season for the 2018 premiership today with a short and sharp session at the University of Queensland.
ec8e47c4314b5af2efd8a9a4d6591482

Andre Savelio at Broncos training. Pic Annette Dew
But the Broncos have also gone back to the future, with Queensland Origin mentor Walters presiding over the training run in his return as an assistant coach to Wayne Bennett.
With Bennett away on World Cup duty as England coach, Walters took charge of the group, which featured the club’s younger brigade and new recruits headlined by Savelio and controversial prop Matt Lodge.
While the hulking 116kg Lodge struggled in a 1.2km time trial, Savelio powered through the run, looking fit and hungry in his bid to emulate Super League stars Sam Burgess and James Graham by starring in the NRL.
5058a0ae899e5a15ba00b69b03426a58

Matt Lodge return for pre-season training. Pic Annette Dew
Savelio arrives in Brisbane with high expectations. At 188cm and 110kg, the strapping 22-year-old has been compared physically to All Blacks sensation Sonny Bill, who tips the scales at 108kg.
And while Savelio doesn’t claim to be the next SBW in a playing sense, the pair share Kiwi blood, with the Broncos import born in New Zealand before moving to England with his parents as a one-year-old.
The second-rower or prop has already played 78 games in Super League following his debut in 2014 for St Helens and believes he can break into Brisbane’s top 17 in 2018.
b9d6e92bba8346e246afdfdd6a2a05c2

Kevin Walters at Broncos return for pre-season training. Pic Annette Dew
“Definitely, it’s been a dream since I was younger to play NRL,” Savelio said. “I am looking forward to getting to stuck in and training and hopefully I get a chance to play.
“I wouldn’t have come here if I didn’t think I could play NRL. That’s the plan, to train hard and hopefully Wayne (Bennett) can see that and give me a chance.
“I want to come over here and be as successful as guys like Sam Burgess and James Graham. If you look at the English forwards that have come over here, they have done quite well so that’s the aim.
1eafb93d51cc07a7ac9439de323368f2

Broncos return for pre-season training at St Lucia Athletic track. Pic Annette Dew
“This is the best comp in the world. Super League is trying to catch up but the aim for a lot of guys (in England) is to have a crack over here.
“I went all right in the testing. I haven’t seen the scores but it’s good to start training.”
Savelio also predicted big things for Lodge, revealing the pair squared off as rivals in junior representative teams.
“I’ve played against Lodge growing up when I was in academies and we toured Australia,” he said.
57d588dc09eb451b33c518c7d89c0889

Broncos return for pre-season training at St Lucia Athletic track. Pic Annette Dew
“He is a big aggressive player so I’m looking forward to playing next to him. The first time I met him, he was 16 and he’s a huge fella.
“Everything I have heard about Lodge, he has turned the corner and is on a good path now.
“He has a kid on the way and is looking to rekindle his career.”
4a8e626a039cb8b6634498eb850721df
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/9fbd487d8ee513837beb9a3419cdf122

English SBW, this doesn’t seem good being likened to a star.

Let me guess your old and think the southern cross on your forearm is a good tattoo

Not that age matters (have you seen how many 50yo+ people have tatts?), but I’m 27. Not a fan of them in general but I can appreciate the good ones and call out the bad ones. Getting your own name falls into that category

Does anybody know how Moses Pangai (TPJ) brother travelled for Redcliffe last year? He is a big solid boy. Is he an option for left centre next year? Throw him a bone like Moga

I’m starting to feel pretty optimistic about 2018. Just a shame about Milford and Bird’s shoulder surgeries but whatever.

I know the new season is a long long way off but seeing the article today about the first session and all the new guys plus the return of Kevie gave me a few shivers and made me stupidly excited.

Also, 116 kgs is nothing short of pretty bloody big. The kind of big that won’t meet a defensive line on our 20 meter line and be forced back to the 10 meters putting us on the back foot to start every game!

Active Now

• BruiserMk1
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Bucking Beads
  • Sproj
  • Skathen
  • GCBRONCO
  • Santa
  • Xzei
  • Griffo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Dash
  • Financeguy
  • Broncorob
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Brocko
  • Dazza 92
  • Foordy
  • Porthoz
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.