2019 Ashes discussion

Yes I agree I think Neser is a much better allrounder than marsh. Politics in cricket selection strikes again. The team needs more Queenslanders Trevor.

I watched his presser after the tour match and yes Marsh scored 70-odd and got 3 wickets (Neser got 4, DNB), but it was obvious that Hohns was going to pick him based on how he talked about him. It was before the team got announced but it was just a formality at that point. He looked too happy when talking about MMarsh

I don’t think Neser even got a mention from him in the 10+ minutes he talked. He probably doesn’t even know who he is

Khawaja & Pattinson dropped, no Marsh.

1. Harris
2. Warner
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Wade
7. Paine (c)
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

Aside from Paine and maybe Harris I reckon its about the best team we could have picked. Hesitant to say it but well done to the selectors for leaving out MMarsh.

Legitimately surprised Marsh wasn’t picked, and at the same time that Wade was retained

So... a few articles you may find of interest on the Stokes lbw non-dismissal.

The mouth frothing and outrage on Twitter regarding the umpiring was the stuff of legend.
I didn't think he was that bad.

Greg Baum and Geoff Lemon (great writer on cricket) aren't so sure it was plum.

Fifty-fifty call.

Here is Baum:

But look again through those narrowing doors at the DRS image that "proves" Stokes was out. Inexplicably, it shows the ball straightening slightly after hitting Stokes' front pad. This is what it did in real life. But ball tracking is supposed to show the imaginary line the ball would have taken if it had not brushed Stokes' pad. It looks here as if the technology did not detect the first contact.

This inconsistency introduces the heretical possibility that the ball, which was delivered from wide on the return crease,
might have been going on with the arm. It might have been hitting, say, half of leg stump. It might have been umpire's call. It might have been missing.

Geoff Lemon thinks that the way the ball moves on the ball tracker isn't natural:

The contention that he made a blatant mistake is not fair. Replays suggest HawkEye was questionable, tracking a change of direction after the ball flicked the front pad.

The reconstructed ball straightens more sharply than is realistic and apparently smashes leg stump.

But watching live it looked more like it might be going down leg, and Stokes’s flurry of movement across the crease increased that impression. It may have been out, but it was at least closer than portrayed, and it would be undermining DRS if umpires tempered their decisions based on which team had challenges in hand.

Not that it matters much now but fascinating regardless.

Here are the articles:

I don’t buy it. But it shouldn’t have gotten to that stage anyway and I’ll be real surprised if Australia can bounce back.

Warner has to go. Complete liability at the moment.

Yep might be time to move on from him. No doubt he’ll look good at home over the summer but so would some other opening options, like Burns.

Yeah to be honest considering he was the main protagonist in the cheating saga I’d be dropping him. Why exactly is he still in the side? It’s not on form and it’s not for
Leadership....

Smith is now wearing the helmet attachment @Nashy :P

Hopefully it doesn't mess with his mojo.

Of course Smith couldn’t come in with some runs on the board, gotta do it all himself again.

I think we should get used to watching these 2 boys bat together. Should be our 3 & 4 combination for the next 5 years.

I like Head at 5 too, just got to get that top order sorted with Pucovski likely the eventual number 6 as well. The middle order is starting to look alright.

Can an Australian left hand batsman make more then 20 please?

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Big Del
  • Midean
  • HarryAllan7
  • johnny plath
  • Xzei
  • kiwi2
  • Harry Sack
  • theshed
  • Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • Cavalo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dash
  • Adammacca
  • BruiserMk1
  • Gaz
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.