2019 Ashes discussion

England still don’t have a decent opener. If I were them, id do something like this:

1. Burns
2. Denly
3. Pope
4. Root
5. Stokes
6. Bairstow
7. Foakes
8. Woakes
9. Leach
10. Archer
11. Broad

That’s if Anderson isn’t fit.

Can't wait to watch it, that was one of the test matches we'll never forget. Something about English conditions always produces top notch cricket to watch. Unlike Melbourne lifeless roads which are a 5-day snooze fest.

Combination of drop-in pitches and what one assumes is ‘gentle encouragement’ from Nein to produce 5 day pitches to maximise ad revenue

Last edited:
Burns is essentially unavailable according to @1910, so you can cross him out, and Carey is barely good enough to make his shield team, he's not even close to consideration for a test spot at the moment.
Shame about burns. Alex Carey averaged 62.5 during the World Cup just behind Davey.

Shame about burns. Alex Carey averaged 62.5 during the World Cup just behind Davey.

And look how well Davey isn't going. Very different formats. Not everyone can be a Stokes and just be a gun in every format.

How exactly does a pitch improve towards the end of a test anyway? I'm not suggesting cheating but once the game starts the groundskeepers aren't allowed to touch it. I've never heard of a pitch improving in the last innings.
The pitch had something in it in day one. That’s why England bowled first. Overhead conditions helped also. Everyone was saying it was a good batting pitch it just needed some time in the sun.

The Gabba has often been a better batting pitch in the 2nd innings. There are plenty of occasions a pitch has got better throughout the match. It may have actually been a blessing for England that they got bowled out so quickly in the first innings, it meant Australia’s 2nd innings was beginning when something was still in the pitch.

I am on the ditch Paine bandwagon now. He's officially proven that he isn't leadership material and some of his decisions cost us that test. Sure, he is a very good keeper but his batting isn't even first class standard and he can't live off his "culture change" credit forever.

He would be mentally shot and who knows what effect its having on the squad. I would prefer we moved him on now while the series is still up for grabs then try and carry him through the remaining tests and lose.

Personally, my next test XI would be:
Warner
Khawaja (opening because he's had starts so far and has experience - no other option)
Labuchagne
Smith
Head
Wade
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

I'd be okay if Bancroft came back in at the top of the order and took the gloves but I don't see our middle order changing and I'm not sure Bancroft's keeping is up to scratch (or that he deserves re-selection on merit anyway).
Khawaja is also running out of chances but he hasn't looked shocking, he's getting starts and has experience opening. Also his test record is still better than most of the English blokes anyway.

Surely it has come time to unleash Starc and put this series to bed. As good as Siddle and Pattinson have been they don't offer the same threat as a left-arm genuine quick.

Roll the dice, if we play it conservatively and pick the same team with the same captain I think the Ashes are gone.

Last edited:
For anyone who is interested, here is a link to the practice match live stream :

Last edited:
Neser not doing his chances any harm, 3/20 off 7.0 at lunch, only Australian player to get a wicket.

Rumours have it, guess who is back, back again? And in place of a keeper, just not the one who should he dropped.

Lol, unreal. Sounds like this will be the team -

1. Khawaja
2. Warner
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Head
6. M.Marsh
7. Paine (c)
8. Cummins
9. Pattinson / Siddle / Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

Yeah it’ll be Starc. There seems to be a fair bit of unconfirmed but basically confirmed teams going around and basically Wade, Harris and Patto out, Smith, Marsh and Starc in.

More lives than a cat. We need to move on from the Marsh family ffs

One day there needs to be a Royal Commission into the continual selection of the Marsh boys for Australia.

It's beyond a disgrace the amount of chances they have been afforded over the years. There's something sinister going on that we are all unaware of.

If Starc is playing you want him bowling short spells so I think we need an extra bowler, but yeah I’m sick of the Marshes like everybody else. Could’ve been Neser or just brought in Starc for Wade, it’s not like Marsh will do much more with the bat.

If Starc is playing you want him bowling short spells so I think we need an extra bowler, but yeah I’m sick of the Marshes like everybody else. Could’ve been Neser or just brought in Starc for Wade, it’s not like Marsh will do much more with the bat.
Yes I agree I think Neser is a much better allrounder than marsh. Politics in cricket selection strikes again. The team needs more Queenslanders Trevor.

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • ChewThePhatt
  • I bleed Maroon
  • peter09
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • theshed
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • Financeguy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Allo
  • Bish
  • Broncosgirl
  • Wolfie
  • Morkel
  • Santa
  • Xzei
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.