NRL Captain
Aus 5d-266, Head 109*, Khawaja 57, everyone else 13-33

Worcestershire 3-31 at stumps

2 ducks, Hazelwood 2 wickets, Starc 1

Last edited:

Fernando

NRL Player
Bris
Even if Hazlewood and Starc clean up I don’t think I’d change the attack. The only reason would be if the data was showing Pattinson or Cummins in the “red zone” with their workload, and given their injury history i’d get it.

But otherwise, I can’t see either of Starc/Hazlewood being more effective than the two that played the 1st test and I think Siddle is a lock given how tight he keeps things. Outside of Root and Stokes I can’t see any Eng batsmen batting for long periods of time regularly (Burns won’t have that sort of luck again). Just keep it tight and they’ll get out sooner than later, no need to try blast them out with Starc.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
27.4° S, 153.0° E
Pattinson wasn't great in the first test, he had comfortably the worst economy of the 3 quicks in both innings and had the fewest wickets. I'd have no issue with Hazlewood coming in for him. Harris is 70 odd not out at stumps as well, another failure for Bancroft. Reasonable argument to bring him in, but I can't see it happening. Bancroft will be in the team for the whole series because of the left/right hand combination, and because of his short-leg fielding. Oh, and because Langer is in love with him.

1. Bancroft
2. Warner
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Wade
7. Paine (c)
8. Cummins
9. Siddle
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Why was Marsh batting at 3? Are they looking at him there??? Why on earth wouldn’t you give Marnus the shot?

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
27.4° S, 153.0° E
Why was Marsh batting at 3? Are they looking at him there??? Why on earth wouldn’t you give Marnus the shot?
Because it's raining tomorrow apparently, seems like they were pretty confident in Head & Khawaja after they both made runs in the first innings, they probably would've bat M.Marsh at 3 and Marnus at 4 to get them some time in the middle, hopefully there's some play tomorrow so Marnus can have a crack.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Because it's raining tomorrow apparently, seems like they were pretty confident in Head & Khawaja after they both made runs in the first innings, they probably would've bat M.Marsh at 3 and Marnus at 4 to get them some time in the middle, hopefully there's some play tomorrow so Marnus can have a crack.
Ahh ok, that kind of makes a little more sense but hat would imply Marsh is close to being picked, that isn't good.

Allo

NRL Captain
We know, check the last few posts lol

Hoping they get some overs in today so Marnus can have a dig
Only saw the bit about Harris. Just posting it for convenience sake? Unless people have posted that I don’t see ...

State of Origin Rep
I would go Starc at Lord's. He uses the slope well and it's a hard thing to master. He bowled beautifully there at the WC the game against NZ and England were a masterclass in Lord's bowling. Although four years ago he didn't bowl too well there in the Ashes but he's improved since then.

We have lost there once since 1934 so it's pretty much our home ground, need to use the skills we have there.

Mister Wright

NRL Player
One or the other, CA I'm pretty sure banned all 3 players from being available for leadership roles until March 2021.
Warner has been banned from ever having a leadership role again. Smith had a one year playing ban and two year leadership ban. Not sure on Bancroft though.

Mister Wright

NRL Player
My dad and I had this exact discussion tonight. Dad said that the blight of sandpaper-gate will drop him below Bradman but that fucking kills me. He was in no way personally responsible for that IMHO.

It sucks that team members can **** your career so badly, but I suspect we’ve all experienced this to some degree.
He saw something going on and said something along the lines of, "I don't want to know." That's poor leadership and a mistake he will live with forever. So, in a way he was personally responsible. He could have stopped it from happening.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Obviously pre-planned. There is no reason whatsoever for sandpaper to be in a cricket locker room. Then when "coming clean" he was still lying about it, saying it was sticky tape.

Last edited:

Bucking Beads

International Captain
The Lounge
Obviously pre-planned. There is no reason whatsoever for sandpaper to be in a cricket locker room. Then when "coming clean" he was still lying about it, saying it was sticky tape.
Sandpaper is used as a tool for cricket bat maintenance. I wouldn’t be surprised if most of the players have some in their kit bag.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Sandpaper is used as a tool for cricket bat maintenance. I wouldn’t be surprised if most of the players have some in their kit bag.
Yeah I know it is but surely they aren't sanding and oiling their bats on gameday in the locker room. I'm almost certain the maintenance takes place somewhere else.

soup

State of Origin Rep
He saw something going on and said something along the lines of, "I don't want to know." That's poor leadership and a mistake he will live with forever. So, in a way he was personally responsible. He could have stopped it from happening.
Didn’t know that... he does have a part in it then, sadly.

Mister Wright

NRL Player
Yeah I know it is but surely they aren't sanding and oiling their bats on gameday in the locker room. I'm almost certain the maintenance takes place somewhere else.
You're not going to get much life out of your bat if you're oiling it on game day. Not only would it make the wood soft and risk damage to the bat it would also get onto the ball and make it easier for the fielding team to shine the ball.

Sanding the bat might happen on a more regular basis. I know during games I like to keep my 'cheries' on the bat as some sort of mindf**k to the opposition (even if most of them were on the edge of the bat). But, I don't often see cheries on professional players' bats so they must sand them down quite reguarly.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
27.4° S, 153.0° E
Australia XII for second Ashes Test:

David Warner, Cameron Bancroft, Usman Khawaja, Steve Smith, Travis Head, Matthew Wade, Tim Paine (c, wk), Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Peter Siddle, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood

Notes: Starc & Hazlewood in, Pattinson out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter