2019 Ashes discussion

Ponga01

QCup Player
You're not going to get much life out of your bat if you're oiling it on game day. Not only would it make the wood soft and risk damage to the bat it would also get onto the ball and make it easier for the fielding team to shine the ball.

Sanding the bat might happen on a more regular basis. I know during games I like to keep my 'cheries' on the bat as some sort of mindf**k to the opposition (even if most of them were on the edge of the bat). But, I don't often see cheries on professional players' bats so they must sand them down quite reguarly.
Sanding gets rid of surface cracks. Pro players usually have one bat that they like/scored runs with so they might sand off the cracks, say at lunch so they don’t have to change bats during the game (that might get on their mind)

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
So...England couldn't get Smith out, so they knocked him out.

He basically got hit almost in the identical position on the neck that killed Hughes. Extremely scary. Archer might also have broken Smith's arm.

Either way, Smith must be in doubt for the next test and the series and if so, Australia's chances are gone with him.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
So he almost gets killed literally, possibly has a broken arm literally and walks back out and smashes the second ball for four. Goodness, what an inspiration.
- Merged

And the third ball!

Last edited:

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
If Smith is fit, I'd go:

1. Warner (on final chance)
2. Khawaja
3. Labamba (That was a gun innings and very unlucky to get out, he has turned a corner, that was a Smith-like innings)
4. Smith (if ruled out, go with five bowlers)
5. Head
6. Wade
7. Carey
8. Cummins (c)
9. Pattinson
10. Starc
11. Lyon

That give a far longer batting line up and Hazlewood was pretty average in the second innings. Harsh on Siddle, could swap him with Starc I supposed.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
27.4° S, 153.0° E
Paine mentioned Marcus Harris a number of times in the post-game press conference, so you can almost be assured that he'll be there. I think there's a decent chance Smith is missing as well. Pattinson in for Siddle seems the obvious change in the bowling department, we need to fight fire with fire.

1. Warner
2. Harris
3. Khawaja
4. Labuschagne
5. Head
6. Wade
7. Paine (c)
8. Cummins
9. Pattinson
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

This opens us up for an easier transition post-Warner in game 4 if he fails again as well, shift Khawaja up to opener, Labuschagne up to 3, Smith back in at 4.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Paine mentioned Marcus Harris a number of times in the post-game press conference, so you can almost be assured that he'll be there. I think there's a decent chance Smith is missing as well. Pattinson in for Siddle seems the obvious change in the bowling department, we need to fight fire with fire.

1. Warner
2. Harris
3. Khawaja
4. Labuschagne
5. Head
6. Wade
7. Paine (c)
8. Cummins
9. Pattinson
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

This opens us up for an easier transition post-Warner in game 4 if he fails again as well, shift Khawaja up to opener, Labuschagne up to 3, Smith back in at 4.
I don't mind this side at all but I don't know, just think Hazlewood doing two tests back to back is a risk.

Last edited:

Battler

NRL Captain
North Brisbane
If Smith is fit, I'd go:

1. Warner (on final chance)
2. Khawaja
3. Labamba (That was a gun innings and very unlucky to get out, he has turned a corner, that was a Smith-like innings)
4. Smith (if ruled out, go with five bowlers)
5. Head
6. Wade
7. Carey
8. Cummins (c)
9. Pattinson
10. Starc
11. Lyon

That give a far longer batting line up and Hazlewood was pretty average in the second innings. Harsh on Siddle, could swap him with Starc I supposed.
I like that bowling attack; it also gives us an insanely long tail. Hopefully the English buy into the Archer hype big time and try to put some life in the pitches for the express quicks only for Starc and Cummins to roll through England's wafer thin batting.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter