2019 Ashes discussion

Horrific result for Australia last night. They’re stuffed for the rest of this series now. Mentally this loss will wreck them.

Seems like the standard of umpiring was its usual self [emoji2955]

Wow that happened. Credit to Stokes putting the pressure back on us

I'm not worried about the rest of the series. I think we have been overall the better side and Smith will obviously improve us a bit.
Stokes just had a day out helped by us and a bad call.
The only concern I have is how this bowling rotation could bite us in the arse. Starc probably gets a run next test but could be underdone which is not ideal for a must not lose.

I don't know about mentally wrecked, there are massive cracks in this England side which the Stokes innings has papered over. Not to mention that we had to bat on an atrocious pitch twice. they had a road for the 2nd innings. the addition of Labuschagne has certainly stiffened the Aus middle order and will give Steve Smith someone to form a partnership with.
Not all doom and gloom.

How exactly does a pitch improve towards the end of a test anyway? I'm not suggesting cheating but once the game starts the groundskeepers aren't allowed to touch it. I've never heard of a pitch improving in the last innings.

Remember the Gabba test where Siddle got a hatrick and then England batted for like 2 days

Was only day 4. It settle once it got a bit of sun. Would've been a handful day 5.

Ive had a whole day to think about this absolute rabble last night and have really only one person to blame - Tim Paine. For a bloke that is really only in the side because of his leadership, he failed miserably last night. Maybe its time to pick the best 11 and pick a leader in that lot. I guarantee under no other captain Australia has ever had do we lose that last night. The bowling and fielding tactics at the end was absolutely woeful to say the least.

Last edited:
Ive had a whole day to think about this absolute rabble last night and have really only one person to blame - Tim Paine. For a bloke that is really only in the side because of his leadership, he failed miserably last night. Maybe its time to pick the best 11 and pick a leader in that lot. I guarantee under no other captain Australia has ever had do we lose that last night. The bowling and fielding tactics at the end was absolutely woeful to say the least.

How long until Smith can be captain again? Probably doesn't matter, he'll keep Paine in line anyway.

CA fucked themselves on the captaincy.

I would drop Paine and give the gloves to Wade. Smith comes back in with Labamba moving to 5

I'm trying to name our best XI right now and I seriously can't come up with 2 openers. Bancroft, Harris, Warner, Khawaja - None of these guys deserve to be in the team right now based on form, the rest of the team picks itself.

1. x
2. x
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith (actually captain)
5. Head (c)
6. Pucovski / Patterson
7. Wade (wk)
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

I'm trying to name our best XI right now and I seriously can't come up with 2 openers. Bancroft, Harris, Warner, Khawaja - None of these guys deserve to be in the team right now based on form, the rest of the team picks itself.

1. x
2. x
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith (actually captain)
5. Head (c)
6. Pucovski / Patterson
7. Wade (wk)
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood
Maybe Alex Carey and Joe Burns as openers ?

Maybe Alex Carey and Joe Burns as openers ?

Burns is essentially unavailable according to @1910, so you can cross him out, and Carey is barely good enough to make his shield team, he's not even close to consideration for a test spot at the moment.

I don't know about mentally wrecked, there are massive cracks in this England side which the Stokes innings has papered over. Not to mention that we had to bat on an atrocious pitch twice. they had a road for the 2nd innings. the addition of Labuschagne has certainly stiffened the Aus middle order and will give Steve Smith someone to form a partnership with.
Not all doom and gloom.

Thing is, I reckon getting bowled out for 60-odd will force England to fix those leaks. They have a handful of good red ball cricketers from County who are in good form but have opted for one-day players instead. Unless they are really determined to lose, they will make changes (dump Roy, Butler for starters) and we'll have our hands full.

I think we'll win the series, but it's not going to be easy. Can't wait to watch it, that was one of the test matches we'll never forget. Something about English conditions always produces top notch cricket to watch. Unlike Melbourne lifeless roads which are a 5-day snooze fest.
[automerge]1566830564[/automerge]
CA fucked themselves on the captaincy.

I would drop Paine and give the gloves to Wade. Smith comes back in with Labamba moving to 5

I'd get Carey in there. He's exactly what we need, gun batsman who scores quickly, a better gloveman than Wade.

Last edited:

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Maroon4life
  • Johnny92
  • Battler
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Harry Sack
  • westy316
  • Xzei
  • Fitzy
  • FACTHUNT
  • Jedhead
  • broncsgoat
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.