2019 Broncos Line-up

Not sure why you'd still be so bitter about Karmichael. Someone like Tesi Niu could turn out to be a much better player. Isaako is already close to being better than Hunt was.

Would love to sign Folau even though I don't agree with everything he says or believes.. Just keep him away from politics

I’m a huge fan of Isaako but to say he is close to a young Hunt is bordline mentally impaired.

What was this place like when we lost Karmichael? It still annoys me to this day that he left and wasted himself in AFL and rugby

Isaako looks like a beast. Hopefully its just those Polynesian genetics being used the right way unlike others we have seen recently using the Maccas card. Vito and milf being on the top of that list haha

What was this place like when we lost Karmichael? It still annoys me to this day that he left and wasted himself in AFL and rugby

Pretty much the usual. Some it was doom and gloom, some it was great, but the thing that pissed people off the most is that he dropped us in it at the last minute and fucked our recruitment around. Some of course blame the Broncos for that, so really, exactly the same as usual.

There was an ongoing thing for quite a while, as on his sporting resume website thing he had listed his school T-Ball as one of his sports.

Pretty much the same as when anyone else talented leaves, bitterness and thinking we're better off. I remember when Norman made his debut, there were like 50 "Karmichael Who?" posts.

Even the commentators were getting in on that and going on about how we're not going to miss Hunt..

Not miss Hunt.. He left a big hole in our side for years.

Even the commentators were getting in on that and going on about how we're not going to miss Hunt..

Not miss Hunt.. He left a big hole in our side for years.
I think part of me will always believe that he had potential of becoming not only one of the Broncos best ever, but one of the best NRL players ever. People forget he often kept Slater out of a spot in QLD and Australian teams. When Hayne left he had claimed he had done everything in the game, having never won a premiership. Karmichael Hunt had played and won with the Broncos, QLD and Australia all by the time he was like 21 or something? To this day I haven't seen a fullback with a short kicking game come anywhere close to his. The wrap around play with Lockyer, Hunt and Hodges was insane. All of them could interchange positions and the defence had no idea what to do. Whether it was short in ball close to the line, or if defence rushed up a nice little grubber behind the line. Was great to watch. I don't think we have had smooth attacking play like that since he left.

Looking back through those Hunt threads, I'm surprised how cordial most fans were. The majority of the posters in the Hunt to Rugby thread thought it was in his best interest to travel and held out hope that he'd return. There was a vocal minority that derided the move, but they weren't Hunt's biggest fan to begin with. Their animosity stemmed from the Billy Slater vs. Karmichael Hunt thread, aka a pissing contest to see who could embellish the other players flaws the most. The only other noteworthy thing from that thread was that it went down a weird tangent where the brainstrust at BHQ wanted to sign Anthony Minichiello as Hunt's replacement. In hindsight, the Count couldn't have been much worse than Hoffman, Norman or Barba but that's a fairly low bar.

The Round 1 2010 thread was also surprisingly reserved. The general sentiment seemed to be pleased with Norman's performance, but they weren't about to call him a superstar just yet. Of course there were a few fans who were sold on him from the get go and speculated that Norman would become a great of the game. Otherwise the majority of the thread was more concerned about Andrew Johns awarding Johnathan Thurston 2 points in the Dally M poll.

That's a different generation in fairness. A lot of the more vocal members have moved on and the posters that replaced them all have different takes on Hunt. These days I'd imagine the overall opinion of Hunt is more balanced.

Issako does look amazingly fit though and that’s great to see he’s 100% committed.

Hate to be a party popper, but as good as KHunt was, he played wing for weeks leading up to and in that 2006 Grand final. Hodgo (along with the future immortal) was the man in the 2nd half of that season.

As for Isaako, wow he looks jacked, here’s hoping he builds on 2018

To those who have been watching preseason training, are all the boys training hard, any injuries to key players worth reporting.

Hate to be a party popper, but as good as KHunt was, he played wing for weeks leading up to and in that 2006 Grand final. Hodgo (along with the future immortal) was the man in the 2nd half of that season.

To those who have been watching preseason training, are all the boys training hard, any injuries to key players worth reporting.

I think Hunt was coming back from injury and was underdone, and Hodges’ form was just too good. Hunt was crazy good at full fitness.

Your first paragraph are my thoughts exactly.

He burst onto the scene and I thought a year or so later when he was still getting better, wow, this kid could be anything.

But as time went on, teams figured him out more and he wasn’t as good. This lead to Hodgo playing the house down at fullback and displacing Hunt to the wing.

That’s not to say Hunt wasn’t a very good player with massive potential, because he was. But I just got the feeling he maybe peaked very early and left when he did because he may have thought the same himself.

Oh, and also because of the stupid money thrown at him, that probably helped too haha!

But as time went on, teams figured him out more and he wasn’t as good. This lead to Hodgo playing the house down at fullback and displacing Hunt to the wing.

I think you need to go watch some highlights from 2008, because no team could stop Hunt that year... led Broncos in try assists (from memory... may have even led the league) and if it weren't for a cheating storm and useless Sims we would've won it all that year.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Mustafur
  • sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.