2019 Broncos Line-up

Discussion in 'Brisbane Broncos Talk' started by Fitzy, Sep 11, 2018.

1. winslow_wong

winslow_wong State of Origin Captain

bris
    It’s season kick off tonight guys. No fighting until next week

soup and Harry Sack like this.
  2. upthebroncs

upthebroncs QCup Player

I hope it's Jamil Hopoate, he would add something different to our squad.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  3. Alec

Alec International Rep

What's different about him?

4. upthebroncs

upthebroncs QCup Player

He's not as big as our current forwards but he packs a punch. Has some good creativity too.

I'd say he's a cross between Taumalolo and Tyrone Peachey

5. Alec

Alec International Rep

I dunno, a cross between those 2 players would be pretty much the best forward in the NRL lol. :p
    Of course I wouldn't be against it if he actually did end up being a cross between those two (and kept out of trouble as well).

6. broncos4life

broncos4life International Rep

Oh, so a Liger.

7. Tom

Tom NRL Captain

Johns and Fittler spend the 1st 9 minutes wanking over us. We must be in for a big year.

8. https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...093e02c0315ee980-1552627242&memtype=anonymous

Gillett won’t be going anywhere

MARCH 15, 2019

Broncos veteran Matt Gillett has not given up hope of a return to the second-row despite Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold insisting he has no immediate plan to abort his lock experiment with the Origin star.

Gillett admits he felt like a “headless chook” during his first appearance at lock in almost five years in Brisbane’s season-opening 22-12 loss to Melbourne at AAMI Park on Thursday night.

Playing his first NRL game in 11 months following a fractured neck and shoulder surgery, Gillett was gasping for air after 15 minutes under attack from Melbourne midfield giants Jesse Bromwich and Nelson Asofa-Solomona.

Prior to his neck ordeal, Gillett had carved out a reputation as the NRL’s finest right-edge back-rower.

The 30-year-old still craves a return to the No.12 jumper, but accepts he may have to make a short-term positional sacrifice for the betterment of a youthful Broncos forward pack.

“The way the team is at the moment, it might be a bit of time before I go back out to the edge,” Gillett said.

“Payne (Haas, prop) is out for a few weeks and Tevita (Pangai Jr) has missed a bit of the pre-season with his hamstrings, so we need a bit of experience in the middle at the moment with the young group we’ve got.

“For the time being, I’m happy to do my role in the middle. We need 17 guys doing the job so whatever role I get, I will do my best for the team.”

The numerical shift from No.12 to No.13 may seem subtle, but on the park, it was a shock for Gillett.

Stationed smack bang in the heart of the high-octane ruck attrition battle, the Maroons ace felt rushed and unable to be as selective as he is on the fringes.

It was a tribute to Gillett’s toughness and competitive instincts that he finished the Storm showdown with a game-high 50 tackles.

“It felt like I made that many tackles,” he said with a laugh. “It’s something I’m not used to ... I felt like I was in a washing-machine cycle.

“I was gone after about 15 minutes, but I just had to hang in there and get the job done.

“I was running around like a chook with my head chopped off.

“I didn’t think there would be too much difference but it definitely is – you have to be on the ball the whole time and filling in spaces in defence.

“On the edge you get to watch the game unfold, but in the middle you are constantly going. I have to get used to that.”

With Haas not due to return from suspension until round five, Seibold said is keen to retain Gillett in the midfield.

“For the foreseeable future, I see ‘Gillo’ getting better and better in the middle,” he said.

“It was a pretty fair stint. It was his first game back since round five last year.

“He had a pretty good shift against the Storm forwards ... he worked his backside off.”

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 3:24 PM
  9. upthebroncs

upthebroncs QCup Player

1. Jamayne Isaako
    2. Corey Oates
    3. Darius Boyd
    4. Kotoni Staggs
    5. James Roberts
    6. Anthony Milford
    7. Sean O'Sullivan
    8. Matthew Lodge
    9. Alex Glenn
    10. Joe Ofahengaue
    11. Jaydn Su'a
    12. Matt Gillett
    13. Jack Bird
    17. Tevita Pangai Junior

I'd prefer this line up.

There's nothing in that line up that's more ridiculous than Gillett at lock.

Horseheadsup likes this.
  10. Fernando

Fernando QCup Player

Bris
    Has Carrigan played lock before?

11. upthebroncs

upthebroncs QCup Player

Yes

Lock will probably end up being his best position in the NRL

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 4:46 PM
  12. Oh I think Bird at lock and Glenn at hooker tops that.

What makes you think they could handle such roles?

Cult3 likes this.
  13. upthebroncs

upthebroncs QCup Player

They'd be more useful in those positions than they are in the ones they're in now.

Glenn is composed and has the skill and footy brain to handle playing hooker. He used to play halves and hooker in the under 20's for us.

It's been widely publicised that Bird wants to play lock, so give it to him.. If he can't do that then drop him.

14. Alec

Alec International Rep

Glenn has always been like a 3 out of 10 at hooker at best. He'd make Macca almost look like Cam Smith.

15. Lockysillegitimatechild

Lockysillegitimatechild NRL Player

Watching the game last night I actually thought "I can see why bird at lock might work". His upper body strength is hodges-like at times, he throws of the first tackler every run, it's takes a couple to get him down, he has quick feet just before the line, can make 100+ metres, and he can hit hard in tackles. Keep in mind as well that nearly every run he had was him cutting inside running at storms middle 3rd players..

Would it work, not sure. But it could work, and last nights performance made me a little more open to the idea actually

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 6:57 PM
    Dee likes this.
  16. pagey

pagey NRL Captain

Yeah there is " jack bird " , he would've been ran over last night. We need a big body at 13 not stick man , as good as gillo is he got walked over.

17. soup

soup State of Origin Rep

That’s a really strange cross tbh. Kinda like saying a cross between a shitzu and a Great Dane.

Aldo and upthebroncs like this.
  18. soup

soup State of Origin Rep

He is naturally a lock, isn’t he? @Wolfie@Wolfie

19. upthebroncs

upthebroncs QCup Player

Yeah and where are all the people that say Jake Friend is essentially the same player as Andrew McCullough?

If you say that, you have no clue

20. Sproj

Sproj

Completely disagree.

Swap Macca and Friend and there would be little difference. Friend’s benefit is he is passing to Cronk, Keary and Tedesco, not KNik, Milf and Boyd. That gulf in class is the difference right there.