2019 Broncos Line-up

When I first saw that I thought "wow, imagine taumololo running at halves for 80 minutes"... Then I looked at backline they had to finish off any of his work on the edges and bench middle forward rotation and I thought "why would you be so stupid"

I am so glad we didn't end up getting green as coach, massive blessing in disguise we missed out on him if we truly were going for him
Didn't he come up with some bullshit story about how a 3rd party was the one who approached him for secret negotiations, all just so he could drive his price up.

When I first saw that I thought "wow, imagine taumololo running at halves for 80 minutes"... Then I looked at backline they had to finish off any of his work on the edges and bench middle forward rotation and I thought "why would you be so stupid"

I am so glad we didn't end up getting green as coach, massive blessing in disguise we missed out on him if we truly were going for him

Hess and 'Lolo would be a nightmare to contain but I think they'd also concede plenty down those channels. Cooper surely will start over Hess.

Hess and 'Lolo would be a nightmare to contain but I think they'd also concede plenty down those channels. Cooper surely will start over Hess.
Lolo is amazingly agile for a man his size but he won't be compared to some of the outside backs running past him. Defending on an edge is more then just being agile anyway. It's decision making. Gillett is a genius at it, I can't see Lolo rushing up to stop plays or making the right call when a half has a runner on each shoulder. Teams will quickly figure out how to isolate Lolos inside and outside men

Ofahengaue targets new Broncos deal and Maroons debut
Wed 27 Feb 2019, 10:01 AM
Joe Ofahengaue insists he will let his football do the talking as he targets winning a contract extension with the Brisbane Broncos and a debut for the Queensland Maroons.
The off-contract Tongan international is set to be a regular starter this year for the Broncos and will run out alongside Matt Lodge in the trial clash with the Gold Coast Titans at CBUS Stadium on Saturday night.
The 23-year-old was on the cusp of making his Maroons debut in Game Three last year and in talks with coach Kevin Walters before an injury ruled him out of consideration.
The last time Ofahengaue was in talks with Brisbane about a contract extension in 2017 he was in and out of the side but said that now, as a top 17 regular, he was in a better position to secure his future.
"I have been in this position before. I’m talking to the club again and a couple of other clubs," Ofahengaue told NRL.com.
"Right now I'm just keen to get into round one and let my footy do the talking. Last time I was in this position I was playing Intrust Super Cup so I think this year I am in a better position than I was last time I was off-contract.
"If I can play consistent footy hopefully a good contract will come my way. I'll see what happens. I'm not rushing it."
Joe's father Josh is the brother of Wallabies legend Willie Ofahengaue and played first-grade league with Marist Saints in New Zealand and represented Tonga in the early 1990s.
Josh said he wanted his son to play for Queensland and stay at Brisbane.
"The future is clear now for Joe. He played for the Roosters at a young age but I know for a fact that the Broncos is the right place for him," Josh told NRL.com.
"I'd love to see him play for the Maroons this year. I have given him my blessing to switch from playing with Tonga."
Joe is of the same mind as his father.
"I missed out last year on Origin but I was in talks with Kevvie before I got injured so wasn't able to play Game Three," he said.
"That gave me a lot of confidence to go out this year and try and get a jersey. That is one of my main goals this year. Obviously to make the Broncos team for round one is another, but to cement a spot in that Queensland team would be awesome."
Ofahengaue's market value will only increase if he can play Origin and put his stamp on a starting Broncos role, a task he is up for.
"Towards the back end of last year I started in about eight games and I took on a role to lead from the front," Ofahengaue said.
"This year hopefully I can lay a good platform with Lodgey [Matt Lodge].
"I don't think there is any pressure on us if we go out and play our style of footy. This is our era to go out and do something. The older boys gave us a a good pathway to take on this responsibility but I feel no pressure. I know Lodgey and Tevita [Pangai jnr] feel the same. If we go out there and play our brand of footy hopefully we can come away with a few more wins than last year."
Joe's father Josh insists his son realises he needs to step up.
"I am sure he will take the responsibility on. Joe is only young but something we talk about is that although he is not an old guy he has still been here the last four or five years, and to me he is one of the old folk," Josh said.
"He is going to have to help carry the team and he wants to play his part. He has played 70 NRL games now and he knows he is up to the challenge, and he has a lot of competition with all the young blokes in the squad."

Source: NRL.com

8. Matthew Scott
10. Jordan McLean
11. Jason Taumalolo
12. Coen Hess
13. Josh McGuire

I don't know how anyone could question this forward pack.

Personally I think Green just wants to get the most out of his forward that costs him 1 mil a year to have in the side.

If Lolo plays edge backrow, he should only be there for the first 20 minutes of the game. After the first 20 take off either Scott or McLean, shift Lolo to the middle, put Cooper on the edge. Good tactic IMO

If you want Lolo to play 80 minutes long term then obviously you can't have him playing in the middle the whole game

Last edited:
https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...k=5b6de9b92d99d775093e02c0315ee980-1551408906

The Broncos have received a huge boost with star five-eighth Anthony Milford getting a medical clearance on a hamstring injury to start the NRL premiership.
Milford injured his hamstring a fortnight ago and was subsequently placed in cotton wool for Brisbane’s entire pre-season trial campaign – including tomorrow night’s final hitout against the Titans at Cbus Super Stadium.
But Brisbane’s $1 million man has been cleared for premiership take-off, with new Broncos coach Anthony Seibold to unleash Milford for their Round 1 blockbuster against the Storm on Thursday week.
In another fillip for Brisbane, rampaging forward Tevita Pangai Jr (hamstring) will also be fit to face the 2018 grand finalists as Milford and the Broncos prepare for a daunting trip to AAMI Park.
“Anthony Milford was available (for tomorrow’s game) but we have decided to rest him (for Round 1),” Seibold said.
“It’s only 13 days now until we play the Storm.
“Anthony was cleared for full training two days ago so we just think it’s best he has a good build-up.”
Milford, Brisbane’s reigning player of the year, was itching to have a crack at the Titans tomorrow night, but Seibold urged his classy pivot to save his magic for the premiership.
“Anthony could play (tonight),” he said. “But we wanted to give him a longer preparation into the Storm game, so we have no concerns with his hamstring and none with Tevita as well.
“Milf has had a disrupted pre-season with his shoulder reconstruction and for two-and-a-half weeks there where he was working on a slight hammy injury.
“But he is really confident. I had a good conversation with him, he was desperate to play this week, but I said let’s be smart about this and he understands that.”
The Broncos will field a near full-strength team at Robina with big guns Darius Boyd, Corey Oates, James Roberts, Andrew McCullough and Matt Gillett to blow out the cobwebs against the Titans.
Gillett, returning from a fractured neck, will play a foreign role in midfield in the No.13 jumper, with young gun David Fifita to start on the edges in the back row.
Seibold said he is keen to ease Gillett back into the NRL in his return from a career-threatening neck injury.
“Matt will play through the middle,” he said. “It’s a new position and a new role for ‘Gillo’ and one we want to have a look at this weekend.
“You use trial games to trial some things and we want to have a look at Gillo through the middle of the park.
“We know how well Matt plays on the edge but we want to simplify his role, it’s his first game for a long period of time.”

I think Seibold just wants to have a look at Gillo at lock more than moving him there right now. I'll still be amazed if he is there fulltime.

Last edited:
I think Seibold just wants to have a look at Gillo at lock more than moving him there right now. I'll still be amazed if he is there fulltime.

It's a bit strange to be having a look at him in a position that he won't play in..

I think maybe Seibold sees him as a Cameron Murray style of lock. Must be part of his game plan.

There's also the fact that Gillett is getting older and Fifita is good enough to start or at least develop in the starting side

Last edited:
Hats off to Siebs too for the near ten minute presser after the game. Not sure Benny ever gave them half that amount ever!

Hats off to Siebs too for the near ten minute presser after the game. Not sure Benny ever gave them half that amount ever!
We'll see how receptive he is to the media when things aren't going well or when some unfounded rumour is printed in the Courier Mail. He has the most high profile job in the sport and his patience with the press will be tested.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • BroncoFan94
  • Battler
  • Broncosgirl
  • bert_lifts
  • I bleed Maroon
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • broncoscope
  • NSW stables
  • Financeguy
  • Skathen
  • Santa
  • BroncosAlways
  • Hurrijo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.