2019 Broncos Line-up

I think a lot of fans are idiots, which is why this current media situation continues to work. Some dodgy journos? There aren't many that aren't dodgy in our sport. I very rarely care about what happens off the field or training paddock, yet the media rarely give us anything related to that.

This is what I want and think is necessary for our sport
https://operations.nfl.com/updates/football-ops/2018-nfl-media-access-policy/

If there is anything related to crime, the police can release that and the pro-AFL media can run with it like they do. If it can be sorted out in-house without creating a bullshit "League players are the only sport that commit crimes" narrative then I'm all for it. I couldn't give a shit about a sex tape, who Buzz spotted this week, who Josh Massoud has threatened this week, or hear Jessica O'Halloran bring up Matt Lodge every six minutes while not responding to questions about the AFL giving victims hush money. And lastly I don't need to hear NSW/Gold Coast based media who have hated the Broncos since someone first said "What about a Brisbane team" shit on the team at every possible time.
I think your 'problems' would be simply rectified if you stopped reading the the media then. Nobody is forcing you to engage with their output.

While i don't think Gillo did a bad job at lock saturday night i do feel putting him in there for the regular season would be working against our strengths. Those strengths been two ball running halves who not only thrive but are genuinely dangerous behind a forward pack who can provide some good go forward. I think if we had a cam smith, cooper cronk, jt style player in our ranks who are genuine game organisers and could orchestrate attack even when a forward pack isn't so dominant then gillet would be a better lock option. However as it stands i think bigger bodies and more go forward (tpj) is our best option.

Also the outstanding performance of Glenn which is likely to give him a starting spot has thrown a spanner in the works for me. I had him penciled in to come off the bench and really hold our middle third together for the middle 60 minuntes of the game while our young guys find their feet. Our forward rotation will be very interesting come round 1.

The main reason they'd want Gillette at 13 is to get Fifi on the field as he has a lot more X factor than Gillette. It's just about fielding the best 13 and with TPJs hammies his best spot might be the bench.

I think your 'problems' would be simply rectified if you stopped reading the the media then. Nobody is forcing you to engage with their output.
I don’t remember the last time I opened an article from any of them. I read them when they’re posted on here but there’s no way I’m giving them a click that they haven’t earned

I hope Mago isn’t the forgotten man in our prop rotation. He was, at the very least, not a liability for us last season. Let him have the opening exchanges to whack some guys and then come off after 20.

Also, could Joe play some lock? He played there at times last year and was pretty good. Isn’t the lock style everyone wants to see, but can keep him out there a touch longer and split the rotation a little while not putting pressure on Pangai to do everything and ease him back for a couple of weeks at least.

8. Lodge
10. Mago
11. Glenn
12. Gillo
13. Joffa

15. TPJ
16. Fifita
17. Flegler/Carrigan

Su’A is unlucky, but I think he needs some match fitness at the Magpies

I think we should just cement Lodge and Ofahengaue in as our starting props. Keep them there for as long as they are at the club really.

Then we can work out who is best for us at lock. TPJ could play on the edge for us like Cows are doing with Lolo and Rabbits are doing with Surgess.

Payne Haas could turn out to be a great lock for us. Of course we also have Carrigan, he may be a year or two off from being a starter. Flegler looks great too.

Long term this starting pack could work for us

8. Lodge
10. Ofahengaue
11. Su'a
12. Pangai Junior
13. Haas

Last edited:
Did anyone else see how much better we did as a team against the Titans when Boyd and Macca got replaced by Isaako and Turpin?

From memory that's when we made our come back.

I think we may be behind this year because of our lack of punch through the middle from those two spine players.

Did anyone else see how much better we did as a team against the Titans when Boyd and Macca got replaced by Isaako and Turpin?

I think we may be behind this year because of our lack of punch through the middle from those two spine players.

Reading way to much into a trial .

Nope, McCullough worked on his passing from the ground and it looked far better. Also McCullough was playing hooker for three of our tries and the final one was an individual effort from Isaako. We started playing better as soon as we stopped giving away penalties and started taking the opposition seriously. Then Turpin came on and passed the ball a few times. I'm not sure when Boyd went off from the top of my head but if he was still at fullback when Niko and Glenn were running rampant then this is some bullshit

Nope, McCullough worked on his passing from the ground and it looked far better. Also McCullough was playing hooker for three of our tries and the final one was an individual effort from Isaako. We started playing better as soon as we stopped giving away penalties and started taking the opposition seriously. Then Turpin came on and passed the ball a few times. I'm not sure when Boyd went off from the top of my head but if he was still at fullback when Niko and Glenn were running rampant then this is some bullshit

I said from memory. I never said my memory is perfect.

I honestly do think that we could play the whole season without Boyd, Bird and Macca and still make the top 8.

Lodge is easily out best prop atm. He is also probably our best candidate for lock. He has the ball skills, the size, and footwork to dominate in that position. I wonder if TPJ or even Carrigan would be up to starting at prop besides Joe O in the season opener?

I doubt Seibold will try this but I reckon it could be pretty effective.

Last edited:
I said from memory. I never said my memory is perfect.

I honestly do think that we could play the whole season without Boyd, Bird and Macca and still make the top 8.
Well your memory was very wrong and has probably been twisted by others repeating the same lie. My reply is to those people as well. I think we could play half of our reserves and still make the 8 but if we take out the 2 people who do most of the talking on the field we won't get anywhere past round 1 of the finals. Teams need experienced players on the field

Coincidentally when the Broncos started holding on to the ball and build some field position and pressure. Apparently Boyd made a bad mistake, but the rest of it lies with the team as a whole, as I hear the first half was riddled with mistakes from multiple players.

Well your memory was very wrong and has probably been twisted by others repeating the same lie. My reply is to those people as well. I think we could play half of our reserves and still make the 8 but if we take out the 2 people who do most of the talking on the field we won't get anywhere past round 1 of the finals. Teams need experienced players on the field

I don't let other people's opinions persuade mine. I only form opinions from what I've seen myself.

I did watch the game while on medication after surgery so that may have something to do with the fog around my memory hahah.

I agree that Boyd and Macca are good for leadership and talk on the field. You just have to wonder who would step up in their absence and if maybe it would be a blessing in disguise if they weren't there.

I remember something being said last year when Boyd was moved to centres about how Nikorima and Milford would be able to talk more now that Boyd isn't in their ears from behind the line. It sounded like Boyd was making their job more difficult.

Man, Lodge was monstrous Sat night
He played since decent minutes and they were quality

Man, Lodge was monstrous Sat night
He played since decent minutes and they were quality

He was very good. I think if anyone is in for more minutes this year, it will be Lodge.

Upload 2019 3 4 11 23 28

I expect/hope 2019 to be up around 55 - 60 minutes.

Last edited:
I don't let other people's opinions persuade mine. I only form opinions from what I've seen myself.

I did watch the game while on medication after surgery so that may have something to do with the fog around my memory hahah.

I agree that Boyd and Macca are good for leadership and talk on the field. You just have to wonder who would step up in their absence and if maybe it would be a blessing in disguise if they weren't there.

I remember something being said last year when Boyd was moved to centres about how Nikorima and Milford would be able to talk more now that Boyd isn't in their ears from behind the line. It sounded like Boyd was making their job more difficult.

Too true mate.
Boyd is holding back Milford's brilliance. The relationship has got more toxic since the heartache of 2015. Somethings got to give...

Too true mate.
Boyd is holding back Milford's brilliance. The relationship has got more toxic since the heartache of 2015. Somethings got to give...

If we had just recruited the right 7 to play alongside Milford we would have never had any issues with how Milf plays. He was supposed to be a ball running 6 with bursts of flair.

It's just wrong that we haven't had the brains to go out and buy someone like a Nathan Cleary or Cooper Cronk.

Instead we bought Jack Bird. We bought Bird when we knew we needed a decent 7.

Active Now

• Dash
  • IceWorks
  • lynx000
  • Wolfie
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Justwin
  • Cavalo
  • Jazza
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  • Brocko
  • Harry Sack
  • Battler
  • Santa
  • Broncorob
  • Rookie Alan
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosgirl
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.