2019 Broncos Line-up

I know he didn't train yesterday but he was there, and I'm fairly sure he isn't injured.
Read somewhere he didn't train but stood on the sideline watching?? Sort of suggests he hasn't signed yet.

TPJ in Broncos colours today at the club. James Roberts posted a story on Instagram of the guys in change rooms. Would indicate he has signed.

I'd expect an announcement sometime this week or next of Lodge, TPJ and Oates.

Oatsey has just signed a 1 year deal confirmed..can't post the article though..someone please?

Bennett on Broncos exit: 'I was happy to be sacked'
BRONCOS
Corey Oates signs one-year deal with Brisbane Broncos
Peter Badel, The Courier-Mailan hour ago
Subscriber only
Corey Oates has sacrificed a staggering $1.5 million to remain in Brisbane after the Queensland ace inked a new deal in a major retention coup for the Broncos.
The Courier-Mail can reveal Oates’ protracted 12-month contract saga is finally over with the hulking winger officially signing a one-year deal to remain at Red Hill in 2019.
The short-term contract will trigger fears Oates could join Wayne Bennett at Souths in 2020, with the Maroons flyer saying two months ago he would consider quitting the Broncos if the super coach was moved on.
But Bennett’s power will not be enough to poach Oates, who has shown remarkable loyalty in his ambition to emulate Darren Lockyer, Sam Thaiday and Corey Parker by becoming a Bronco for life.
b3bad26a38cd8018c3e3c58c40c9d971

It’s good news for Brisbane after a testing off-season. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)
The Broncos were in danger of losing Oates after he fielded massive offers from Sydney-based NRL rivals, who tabled three-year, $2.1 million packages worth $700,000 a season.
But Oates has accepted a cut-price, $500,000 deal to stay at the Broncos with a view to eventually signing a longer-term mega deal that leverages his marketability in Brisbane as a Queensland Origin star.
The 24-year-old was keen to sign a multi-year deal immediately, but salary-cap pressures forced the Broncos to broker an abbreviated term.
3d5cb0219055997ee895e8f4a6b5efab

A one-year contract isn’t exactly long-term though … (AAP Image/Darren England)
Oates’ re-signing was complicated by a personal dispute with his former management team, leaving the winger unable to begin negotiations until the final weeks of the 2018 NRL season.
His retention will come as a major relief for the Broncos, who were at loggerheads with Oates in February when the tryscoring machine revealed his desire to shift from the wing to the back row.
Former coach Bennett shot down that plan, telling Oates he had no desire to move him into the forwards and warned he could dump him to the Intrust Super Cup unless he remained on the wing.
It is understood Brisbane’s Queensland rivals the Cowboys also expressed preliminary interest in Oates, but ultimately opted against tabling a formal offer.
Play Video
Play
0:00
/
3:55
Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
Fullscreen
9ec1aa5d14743f37701976a8c10ccf7e

7e4686891482f6a04abbddb6c2551af4

Bennett's first Rabbitohs session
Oates confirmed the deal and made it clear he wants a long-term future at the Broncos _ scuppering the prospect of playing under Bennett at Souths in 2020.
“I’m looking forward to continuing on with the Broncos,” he said.
“It seems like yesterday I arrived but I’m now about to kick off my seventh NRL season.
“I’m happy to back myself for the next 12 months and secure a long-term Broncos contract.
“I wish Wayne all the best at Souths, but at the same time I am really excited for a fresh start with Anthony Seibold at the helm.”
Oates has played 120 games for the Broncos and had a sensational 2018 campaign, scoring 18 tries from 23 matches and fighting his way back into the Queensland Origin team.

I get the feeling the Broncos have a week of signings planned. Sunday was Seibold. Today Oates. Look for Lodge and TPJ deals to be announced this week too.

Lodge and TPJ will probably be announced together somyhe TPJ hype burries Lodge a little bit. Losing Moose I think we'll pick up Hopoate for depth.

The 24-year-old was keen to sign a multi-year deal immediately, but salary-cap pressures forced the Broncos to broker an abbreviated term

This is what I found concerning, certainly hope it’s a case of

A/ we’re not prepared to pay a winger more than 500k on the books with 3rd parties to be added

B/ we’ve got money but we’re using our funds to retain the likes of TPJ etc
I believe someone has previously stated that Boyd's 4 year deal was a 2 year deal with a 2 year option in the club's favour. I wouldn't be shocked, especially based on last years performance if this is Boyd's final year. This would free up a lot of money, allowing an increase to Oates contract. I also think Oates would attract a similar type of third party to Boyd as they are both athletic backline players.

For me, seibold leaving Boyd as captain, something he clearly hasn't excelled at is another indicator that he has limited game time left in him.

I believe someone has previously stated that Boyd's 4 year deal was a 2 year deal with a 2 year option in the club's favour. I wouldn't be shocked, especially based on last years performance if this is Boyd's final year. This would free up a lot of money, allowing an increase to Oates contract. I also think Oates would attract a similar type of third party to Boyd as they are both athletic backline players.

For me, seibold leaving Boyd as captain, something he clearly hasn't excelled at is another indicator that he has limited game time left in him.

Wow, that’s great business if somehow we’ve managed to add an option in our favour. Are there any links to Boyd’s contract being optional in our favour anywhere. I tried googling it with no luck

Wow, that’s great business if somehow we’ve managed to add an option in our favour. Are there any links to Boyd’s contract being optional in our favour anywhere. I tried googling it with no luck
No, it's something I think someone may have said in this forum or on Reddit or something. I don't know how factual it was but I feel like I definitely saw it or heard it somewhere. I believe it was because Bennett was signed until 2019 so Boyd had 18 and 19 and then two years as an option. Don't hold me to it though.

Last edited:

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • ezpz
  • davidp
  • Brocko
  • broncsgoat
  • Harry Sack
  • Wolfie
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • Midean
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Jazza
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • BruiserMk1
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.