2019 Broncos Line-up

God I hope we don’t lose TPJ and Lodge now.

Doubtful that we'll lose them for 2019, but if we lose them straight after, the whole "super forward pack" hype could fall apart before it even really gets off the ground.

With all this coaching distractions and now players leaving before pre season, I can see us falling apart in 2019. There’ll be a player disconnect from the floggings and guys like tpj will definitely walk at seasons end. It’ll be interesting to see how Bennett conducts himself when the team isn’t going well.

Doubtful that we'll lose them for 2019, but if we lose them straight after, the whole "super forward pack" hype could fall apart before it even really gets off the ground.

We dont even have them for 2019 as it stands.

Serious question, can anyone find a betting market for us to MISS the top 8? I can't find it anywhere. We are like second or third favourite on most sites to make the top 8. We have no depth in the forwards now and have two players coming back from long layoffs. I think there could be good value in us not making it.

I think we will have a brilliant pack ... in 2/3 years time. These kids are going to be up and down in the mean time. Anyone expecting miracles next season is probably mistaken.

I think we will have a brilliant pack ... in 2/3 years time. These kids are going to be up and down in the mean time. Anyone expecting miracles next season is probably mistaken.
I just hope we have older, respected players around them to lead them in the right direction. Otherwise we might end up with 6 Jarryd Haynes with shitty attitudes, dreaming about playing for every club.

Broncos lose Korbin, Thaiday, Moose possibly Glenn.

Broncos sign former Melbourne Storm assistant coach, Anthony Seibold

Cameron Smith suddenly unhappy at Melbourne Storm.

Broncos sign Cameron Smith

Would never happen but I'm curious about your opinions. Would it be worth offering Slater and/or Thurston contracts for 2019? Slater still has it in him and Thurston could take a back seat, kick and whinge about Broncos conspiracies all day. After last year Thurston would be worth 300k at the most

Last edited:
https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2018/11/02/broncos-2019-nrl-squad-release/

181102-team-page-1.jpg
So, if McGuire is gone and Glenn is tipped to go, who comes into the squad? Sam Tagatese's deal makes sense now but who would fill the other position?

Would never happen but I'm curious about your opinions. Would it be worth offering Slater and/or Thurston contracts for 2019? Slater still has it in him and Thurston could take a back seat, kick and whinge about Broncos conspiracies all day. After last year Thurston would be worth 300k at the most

Glenn and McGuire out = JT and slater in?

Last edited:
Glenn and McGuire out = JT and slater in?
It's about time we start flaunting these advantages we apparently have. Let's lose Kodi and sign JT and Segeyaro, lose Boyd and sign Slater, lose McCullough and sign Smith, Gillett for Frizell and buy Taupau to fill McGuire's spot
1 Slater
2 Oates
3 Roberts
4 Bird
5 Isaako
6 Milford
7 Johnson
8 Ofahengaue
9 Smith
10 Lodge
11 TPJ
12 Frizell
13 Taupau
14 Segeyaro
15 Haas
16 Carrigan
17 Fifita

Last edited:
Slater easily. Thurston, no, too much of a liability.

Hatred of losing fires Haas' stunning training feats

Author
Joel GouldNRL.com Reporter via Email
The athletic abilities and endurance of Broncos behemoth Payne Haas are well known but assistant coach Jason Demetriou reckons the key to the teenager's blitzkrieg on the training paddock is his competitive spirit and hatred of losing.
The 120kg giant was the talk of Broncos pre-season training last year and he's backed that up again by blowing his teammates off the park in the early stages of training after making a full recovery from a shoulder injury that cut short his 2018 season.
The first day back at training last Thursday also saw Haas on fire from the get-go and he has continued that form this week as he targets a regular spot in the top 17 in 2019.
Earlier this year NRL.com reported how Haas would win 800m and 1200m races at Keebra Park High, and even blitz the backs, due to his massive cardiovascular system and the regular running training he would do up a hill on the family property on the Gold Coast.
Demetriou said there was another key factor at play in the 18 year-old's stunning training feats asides from his noted physical attributes.
haasp-training2009-146a9214-002.jpg

Jack Bird and Payne Haas at pre-season Broncos training.©broncos.com.au
"Payne just hates losing," Demetriou told NRL.com.
"We had a 1.2km run on the first day of training and young Herbie Farnworth, who is a winger, got him in the end. From the time that race finished you could see that Payne wasn't happy.
"The next test we did was the 1.2km shuttle run and you could see he had a mission in his head. He flogged them all, easily. That is just how he is. He is naturally competitive and he wants to be the best. The boys get stuck in to him about it but it is a quality he definitely doesn't want to lose because it will take him a long way."
NRL.com watched Haas closely at training on Wednesday morning and one feature of his performance was how the big prop glided across the ground with apparent ease as he led his teammates in laps around Purtell Park.
"[Conditioner] Andrew Croll was saying that he doesn't have a high knee lift when he runs so when he drills his leg back he's more like a long distance runner than a sprinter and for a 120 kilo bloke it is very impressive that his technique is so good," Demetriou said.
While Haas wants to be the best in everything he does, Demetriou conceded it was up to the club to manage expectations that will continue to surround him.
"He is going to be playing NRL and there are going to be times where he wants to be his best but he's not going to be, because it's hard," Demetriou said.
"Payne will be playing against the best players in the world so it is important he doesn't ride the highs too high and the lows too low, and that we keep him grounded. As long as he keeps that competitive spirit he is going to keep improving every year."

The Broncos played Haas in the Intrust Super Cup with Wynnum-Manly this year before debuting him against South Sydney in round nine where his cameo off the bench was a factor in Brisbane's comeback win. A season-ending injury against the Bulldogs a fortnight later brought down the curtain on his season but Demetriou said Haas was ready to take the next step in his development and play regular NRL footy.
"Last year was all about him having a full pre-season and blooding him through the Queensland Cup and now it is about him getting a spot in the 17, and I am sure he knows that and that Wayne will have a chat to him about that when he gets back," Demetriou said.
"He's definitely ready to go and it is good that he'll be able to do all the trials knowing that he is definitely pushing for a spot. If he goes anywhere near as good as he did last season we'll find it hard not to pick him."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/15/hatred-of-losing-fires-payne-haas-stunning-training-feats/

How long till we read the headline. Mass exodus follow Bennett out of the Broncos?

Shaun Johnson we can afford now...

This is the most ridiculous, ill-conceived statement I have ever read on BHQ! Why the hell would we go out and sign an actual halfback to steer us around the footy field. I mean, a real life, actual halfback who is actually very good and is unwanted by his own club. It's a good thing Wayne is our coach and not you, that's all I can say!

Please, next time think before you post.

Active Now

• BroncoFan94
  • Morkel
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Mick_Hancock
  • The Don
  • Johnny92
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Jazza
  • Dash
  • Bucking Beads
  • Gympie devil
  • Brocko
  • ChewThePhatt
  • cento
  • Lurker
  • Foordy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Financeguy
  • Santa
  • MrMoore
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.