2020 Round 1 Line up

He has scored tries, he has try assists, he has kicked winning field goals, he has come from the best system in the nrl, he has more games experience, he has got repeat sets from kicks, he has been around the best hooker and halfback in the game in Smith and Cronk and he was halfback in a games clear minor premiership side.

It is a lot more than a kid with five games and almost a try assist. I mean it isn’t that hard to see this side of the argument more than ‘lol no’.

That's all great, except that's not the argument and none of that answers my question.

All of that stuff is good, but it doesn't really matter. What matters is his progress in making the necessary improvements in his game to become that halfback we need and after watching him closely, I just don't see any. There is a reason he can't keep that spot at the Storm.

I'd rank Staggs and Isaako higher than Milford and Boyd in terms of leadership on the field.

What does that say about the make up of our spine? Surely both could make it and do alright.

1. Isaako
6. Staggs
7. Dearden
9. Turpin

No point really talking about it though is there? Seems like something that will never happen.

We would need Turpin and Dearden to really stand up and lead the team around the park.

Last edited:
That's all great, except that's not the argument and none of that answers my question.

All of that stuff is good, but it doesn't really matter. What matters is his progress in making the necessary improvements in his game to become that halfback we need and after watching him closely, I just don't see any. There is a reason he can't keep that spot at the Storm.
All that stuff doesn't matter?

Lol ok

There is a reason he can't keep that spot at the Storm.

I reckon it's cause Smith doesn't really like him and still wants to run the team. I distinctly remember a game early this or last (think it was last, first without cronk) season wherein Croft overruled Smith on a play - they lost, and then Croft was gone for weeks, with the likes of Jacks getting a nod over him.

The fact they went away from him at the end of the season, despite him being a big contributor and not playing badly, smells like club politics to me.

[QUOTE="Renegade, post: 3090444, member: 1928"
The fact they went away from him at the end of the season, despite him being a big contributor and not playing badly, smells like club politics to me.
[/QUOTE]

True, Smith's ego got in the way of team selections.
Hughes was a disappointing experiment at half back, he looked clueless out there. Croft plays they beat Canberra. I'm surprised the great Bellamy went along with this **** up of dropping Croft when he was clearly a top shelf half to take them to the GF.

He was not dropped for his ability, other coaches would be fools to take Bellamy's word for it.
$400k is not a bad price, releasing Shibasaki or Kennar would help to get Croft across the line.

$400k is not a bad price

I feel like this is the crucial point quite a few posters are forgetting. $400k for a semi-proven half with massive upside is a steal compared to what would need to be paid for a fully proven half at the peak of their powers (and there aren't many of those around anyway).

To get a Green, Sezer (who isn't that good anyway and really got found out in finals), DCE, Pearce, Moses, Brooks, etc you are likely looking at $700k+.

True, Smith's ego got in the way of team selections.
Hughes was a disappointing experiment at half back, he looked clueless out there. Croft plays they beat Canberra. I'm surprised the great Bellamy went along with this **** up of dropping Croft when he was clearly a top shelf half to take them to the GF.
I suspect that Bellamy would have a blind spot with Smith, given his service and their careers essentially being in parallel. Smith gets what he wants, everyone else facilitates it.

All that stuff doesn't matter?

Lol ok

We have halves that can do all of that and we have a half that has learnt from one of the best in the business and we have halves that are around one of the best halfbacks of all time. We've always had that. What we haven't had is a half that can manage a side, and that's not something Croft can do. We'll be paying for something we've already got.

I feel like this is the crucial point quite a few posters are forgetting. $400k for a semi-proven half with massive upside is a steal compared to what would need to be paid for a fully proven half at the peak of their powers (and there aren't many of those around anyway).

Sets up plays in advance, has varied kicks that dictates the tempo the way his side likes it. Has a great understanding with his back rower (Kaufusi), while pulling off deft kicks for his wingman Vunivalu. Takes the pressure field goals as well and would be a great acquisition for our club in the game managing aspect of things. Is that not what all the acclaimed experts have been screaming at us to do?
He's literally a Cronk clone and only 22 years old, what the **** are Lockyer and his recruitment duds waiting on their asses on...why wait on Melbourne to chip in, fork out an extra 100-150k and get him to Brisbane.

We have halves that can do all of that and we have a half that has learnt from one of the best in the business. We always had halves that can do all of that. Unless Croft knows how to manage a side, which he doesn't, then we'll be paying for what we've already got.

Bulldust, you are joking right :rofl

Sets up plays in advance, has varied kicks that dictates the tempo the way his side likes it. Has a great understanding with his back rower (Kaufusi), while pulling off deft kicks for his wingman Vunivalu. Takes the pressure field goals as well and would be a great acquisition for our club in the game managing aspect of things. Is that not what all the acclaimed experts have been screaming at us to do?
He's literally a Cronk clone and only 22 years old, what the **** are Lockyer and his recruitment duds waiting on their asses on...why wait on Melbourne to chip in, fork out an extra 100-150k and get him to Brisbane.

Bulldust, you are joking right :rofl

Croft is hugely overrated.

To get a Green, Sezer (who isn't that good anyway and really got found out in finals), DCE, Pearce, Moses, Brooks, etc you are likely looking at $700k+.

Or, and just bear with me here because I know it sounds crazy, we could just stick with the halves we have that have a lot of upside and cost a lot less and use that leftover money to give to someone like, let's say Fifita. Who is going to be more important to our future than Croft.

Or, and just bear with me here because I know it sounds crazy, we could just stick with the halves we have that have a lot of upside and cost a lot less and use that leftover money to give to someone like, let's say Fifita. Who is going to be more important to our future than Croft.

Yeah because the current halves are doing so well.

Yeah because the current halves are doing so well.

When those halves were given a chance they actually did very well and we started looking like a better side, we were starting to build and as a result Milford was starting to get his form back. Anyone that watched those games and paid attention to the halves would have seen there was quite a bit of upside with how we were looking when they were playing.

The fact that I need to explain that is a bit worrying...

When those halves were given a chance they actually did very well and we started looking like a better side, we were starting to build and as a result Milford was starting to get his form back.

The fact that I need to explain that is a bit worrying...

The fact you need Croft's appeal explained to you...repeatedly...is far more worrying (though what this kind of silly argument is supposed to achieve is pretty petty). What is the harm in having competition for spots? Or would you prefer to just keep having players feel super comfortable and at no risk for their spots?

If Dearden is good enough, he will force his way in and I (like everyone else) absolutely hope he is and can also see his appeal. I (like most others) also really liked what I saw in Dearden. So this is no criticism of him.

The fact remains he is a kid and is coming back from a decent enough injury. So having another quality half on the books (for $400k!) is a no brainer, particularly if you are idiotic enough to mess up a contract for an unneeded has been to $400k at the same time.

Wow, if we weren't stuck with Boyd, Bird, Kahu and Maccas ridiculous money-sucking contracts, we could have realistically bought Croft, definitely keep on Fifita AND also bought Latrell as well to play fullback.

The current administration, and previous coach, really did set us back for years.

Could save a further 300k and just sign someone like Jamal Fogarty on bottom dollar.

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2019/09/28/petero-civoniceva-medallist-jamal-fogarty/

I reckon it's cause Smith doesn't really like him and still wants to run the team. I distinctly remember a game early this or last (think it was last, first without cronk) season wherein Croft overruled Smith on a play - they lost, and then Croft was gone for weeks, with the likes of Jacks getting a nod over him.

Absolutely. Especially since they were minor premiers by a fair while, and still LOST in a gf without him....

I'd be inclined to feel pretty aggrieved

Exactly.. especially when your next best option is a 9, or a 19yo rookie.

People around here have lost their damn minds if they still think Croft isn't a good bet

Active Now

• Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.