2021 Rule Changes

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The NRL announced several key rule changes ahead of the 2021 season, they are as follows

A field goal from 40m+ out is now worth 2 points.
Set restarts for 10m infringements
Teams can opt to repack a scrum if a team breaks early, a second infringement will result in a sin bin
A handover instead of a penalty for an incorrect play the ball
If a captain's challenge is deemed inconclusive, the captain will retain his challenge
Referees will call tries on the field and the bunker will review the decision in the background
If a trainer stops the game, the player must come off the field or spend two minutes on the sidelines being assessed
Play the ball restart when the ball goes into touch

Last edited:
I only really like if the trainer stopping play then the player must come off the field
The NRL announced several key rule changes ahead of the 2021 season, they are as follows

A field goal from 40m+ out is now worth 2 points.
Set restarts for 10m infringements
Teams can opt to repack a scrum if a team breaks early, a second infringement will result in a sin bin
A handover instead of a penalty for an incorrect play the ball
If a captain's challenge is deemed inconclusive, the captain will retain his challenge
Referees will call tries on the field and the bunker will review the decision in the background
If a trainer stops the game, the player must come off the field or spend two minutes on the sidelines being assessed

You can read the official announcement on the NRL website.

So on top of the changes they introduced in the Broncos/Cowboys and the Warriors/Sea Eagles game they've brought in the two point field goal and a safe-guard around 10m scrums where teams were opting to give away a penalty.

I thought if anything the game would resist making too many changes and would test the set restart under the weight of a proper off-season. That was a huge change for the game and it was difficult to understand how much of an impact it had on the quality of the competition and how much of it came down to Covid. Not only is it here to stay, they've doubled on it.

The two point field goal seems like an unnecessary change that's only going to incentivise field goal shoot outs in the final 10 minutes before matches, or reward teams during those dead plays right before half-time. I would think the game would want to see less field goals and more tries if anything.

Soooooo last year went the way of touch footy, next season will go the way of rugby union. I don’t see any point whatsoever in two point field goals. People want to see tries, otherwise they watch union...which no one does in Australia.

I'm not a fan of the field goal change, seems a bit of a change for the sake of it and causes a slippery slope to other point changes such as 5 points for a try started in your own half or adopting the 9's rule for extra point for under the posts.

I quite like the trainer rule and no more penalty for incorrect play the ball. There are some shocking play the balls in the game and i often felt the ref didn't blow them up as a penalty against the team was always a bit too severe.

The captains challenge one seems very abusable as well. I'd just be challenging absolutely every strip decision, because 90% of them are inconclusive if they're a strip or a loose carry. It's basically a free bite at the cherry and a free rest.

Damien cook has pointed out that Greg Inglis was 5 years ahead of the game🤣
Haha, it was the first thing I checked out after reading the rule. It still wouldn't have counted, his attempt was just over 30m out and he missed.

I forgot about the changes made to the ball going into touch.

That is the biggest change of the lot since teams usually only kick it into touch to manage the clock late in the game. Without the incentive, I can see teams just working it into corners and even dying with the ball like a lot of Hasler teams like to.

You can read the official announcement on the NRL website.

So on top of the changes they introduced in the Broncos/Cowboys and the Warriors/Sea Eagles game they've brought in the two point field goal and a safe-guard around 10m scrums where teams were opting to give away a penalty.

I thought if anything the game would resist making too many changes and would test the set restart under the weight of a proper off-season. That was a huge change for the game and it was difficult to understand how much of an impact it had on the quality of the competition and how much of it came down to Covid. Not only is it here to stay, they've doubled on it.

The two point field goal seems like an unnecessary change that's only going to incentivise field goal shoot outs in the final 10 minutes before matches, or reward teams during those dead plays right before half-time. I would think the game would want to see less field goals and more tries if anything.
I like that they're trying to lessen the impact of penalties, but as with last year they actually have to enforce it now.

The continual changing of penalties to six agains is an indication that an aspect of illegal play has become so prevalent that the ref is scared of continually penalising it... else Buzz and co will come out and abuse them.

At times last year teams were getting off their line so fast that it was likely they were never onside at any point in the game... changing offside to six again won't stop a quick line speed, in fact it may encourage it even more. "No worries boys just keep getting off our line as quick as possible... it no longer hurts us with a 40m kick down field and the ref cant six again us every tackle"

Teams were happy to give away six agains in order to slow the play down (after 20m taps, etc.)... now they can just tackle wherever they happen to be standing and give away a six again in order to stop an attacking play happening.

The referees and administration appear to have completely lost control of the game and cant really figure out a way to stop teams from blatantly cheating whilst keeping their NSWRL bed buddies happy.

This year the refs should be focussing on using the sin bin. The only way teams will stop illegal play every tackle is if repeat offences are penalised harshly

Last edited:
I forgot about the changes made to the ball going into touch.

That is the biggest change of the lot since teams usually only kick it into touch to manage the clock late in the game. Without the incentive, I can see teams just working it into corners and even dying with the ball like a lot of Hasler teams like to.
With these rule changes coming into effect the fitness of teams will need to be through the roof... how are the players actually going to get a break during games.

Are they at least making it that all players have to retreat behind the ball before the play the ball can resume or will it be like quick lineouts in union??

If not then that would be craziness... an excellent kick for touch could just result in a quick play the ball for the opposition and you cant even get your defensive line set or give your forwards a break.

Are they trying to take game managing halfbacks out of the game now as well??

Rick Stuart's dream of a team being fullbacks and second rowers is starting to become a reality!!

Love these changes! Will make an exciting 2021. We better be practising our field goals in the off season.

I like that they're trying to lessen the impact of penalties, but as with last year they actually have to enforce it now.

The continual changing of penalties to six agains is an indication that an aspect of illegal play has become so prevalent that the ref is scared of continually penalising it... else Buzz and co will come out and abuse them.

At times last year teams were getting off their line so fast that it was likely they were never onside at any point in the game... changing offside to six again won't stop a quick line speed, in fact it may encourage it even more. "No worries boys just keep getting off our line as quick as possible... it no longer hurts us with a 40m kick down field and the ref cant six again us every tackle"

Teams were happy to give away six agains in order to slow the play down (after 20m taps, etc.)... now they can just tackle wherever they happened to be standing and give away a six again in order to stop an attacking play happening.

The referees and administration appear to have completely lost control of the game and cant really figure out a way to stop teams from blatantly cheating whilst keeping their NSWRL bed buddies happy.

This year the refs should be focussing on using the sin bin. The only way teams will stop illegal play every tackle is if repeat offences are penalised harshly
But they seem to be more open to sin bins in this situation now as well (multiple 6 agains).

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Jazza
  • Brocko
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Lurker
  • Redux
  • FACTHUNT
  • Allo
  • Fozz
  • Lazza
  • Harry Sack
  • ChewThePhatt
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Aldo
  • broncsgoat
  • KateBroncos1812
  • winslow_wong
  • Battler
  • Strop
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.