2021 Rule Changes

But they seem to be more open to sin bins in this situation now as well (multiple 6 agains).
I dont think they have been really... I recall us being binned for repeat six agains early on (Arthars was binned against either Eels or Roosters late in the game), but I dont really recall any other binnings for repeat six agains except for some token ones in the final few seconds of close games when the slowing down was ridiculous.

There were even occurrences where players weren't binned after slowing down play after line breaks... these are stock standard professional fouls that they disregarded because of the six again being brought in.

The NRL need to come out and reiterate what will and what wont be a professional foul moving forward otherwise it will be a complete dog's breakfast of inconsistent calls.

If a player is blatantly offside at marker with the sole intent of tackling the man from an illegal position to prevent a try then it's a professional foul and send them to the bin.

The blatant penalties are becoming ridiculous all because the roosters realised it was easier to defend back to back sets on your goal line through illegal play and wait for an error then to try and remain legal and force them to get to last.

I just hope we're not the first game to act as Guinea pigs again!!

Last edited:
Vlandiddly did a great job getting the season back on, although by the end many of us wish he hadn’t, but he’s gotta stop fucking with the rules. They are fundamentally changing how the game is played. At least this time it’s not a mid-season one

2 point field goal rofl. What's next, honestly. Leave the fucking game alone!!!!!!!!!!
I am with you on the field goal change just leave at 1 point, as a side note some members on the site may remember back in 1969 in the BRL competition, the Norths Devils signed a guy named Barry Spring from the QAFL specifically to kick field goals as they were worth 2 points, in his first match against Valleys he kicked 5 field goals from 6 attempts, Norths went on to win the Grand Final in 1969 over Valleys by 14-2, Barry Spring only managed 1 field goal in the final. Not certain but I think it was at the completion of the 1970 season field goals were reduced to 1 point.

I dont think they have been really... I recall us being binned for repeat six agains early on (Arthars was binned against either Eels or Roosters late in the game), but I dont really recall any other binnings for repeat six agains except for some token ones in the final few seconds of close games when the slowing down was ridiculous.

There were even occurrences where players weren't binned after slowing down play after line breaks... these are stock standard professional fouls that they disregarded because of the six again being brought in.

The NRL need to come out and reiterate what will and what wont be a professional foul moving forward otherwise it will be a complete dog's breakfast of inconsistent calls.

If a player is blatantly offside at marker with the sole intent of tackling the man from an illegal position to prevent a try then it's a professional foul and send them to the bin.

The blatant penalties are becoming ridiculous all because the roosters realised it was easier to defend back to back sets on your goal line through illegal play and wait for an error then to try and remain legal and force them to get to last.

I just hope we're not the first game to act as Guinea pigs again!!
The mention it in the rule change. I guess we'll see how its actually enforced though.

"2. Six again for 10 metre infringements.

To reduce stoppages in the game, 10 metre infringement penalties will be replaced with a “Six Again” ruling. Referees maintain the ability to blow a penalty and sin bin a player if a side has made repeated 10m infringements or in the case of professional fouls. The “Six Again” rule provided a sufficient deterrent for teams who purposely sought a penalty to slow the game down during previous years. This rule was trialled in two games during round 20 of last season. This will result in a fast game, less stoppages and more free-flowing action for fans."

I hate the six again thing. Mostly because it gets blown and you rarely have any idea why. A Penalty at least they would show a replay of the incident but six again is confusing most of the time as to why. Six again is a benefit late in the tackle count but if there is an infringement on tackle 2 working it out from the 20m line it's never going to be as good as getting a penalty either.

The mention it in the rule change. I guess we'll see how its actually enforced though.

"2. Six again for 10 metre infringements.

To reduce stoppages in the game, 10 metre infringement penalties will be replaced with a “Six Again” ruling. Referees maintain the ability to blow a penalty and sin bin a player if a side has made repeated 10m infringements or in the case of professional fouls. The “Six Again” rule provided a sufficient deterrent for teams who purposely sought a penalty to slow the game down during previous years. This rule was trialled in two games during round 20 of last season. This will result in a fast game, less stoppages and more free-flowing action for fans."
Yeah they had the same directive when they introduced the six again last year... although I believe they fucked up when announcing it originally (ie. before a game had even been played under the rules).

People were concerned that teams would give away endless six agains knowing that a penalty wouldn't come, so the NRL clarified that a penalty could still be blown, but if it did that player would be sent to the bin (see linked article below)... this was a **** up and probably more of a lost in translation or misrepresentation of the rule during the presser than actual intent of the rule.

I believe the actual rule was a penalty can be awarded at the discretion of the referee... rather than a penalty can be awarded, but the offending player must be sin binned. (ie. If something is so blatant or repeated they can just blow it as a penalty, but not be required to bin the player as well)

Adding the sin bin as a direct quote either scared the officials into not wanting to enforce it (a penalty for repeat holding down, must be a sin binning... even though the rule didn't actually say that) or they risked copping it from the media for incorrect officiating "wait you said a player would be binned if a six again was escalated to a penalty"

This is why the NRL need to come out right now and clarify officiating of the six again. They need to state that a six again being blown as a penalty doesn't directly require the player to be binned.

If they did that last year they could've been penalising teams for situations like blatant holding down off quick 20m taps.... there was no advantage for a six again on tackle zero, so those blatant penalties could've been a kick for touch on zero rather than a six again for 1 extra tackle, but the way the idiots incorrectly quoted their own rule meant a blatant hold down off a 20m tap either had to be six again (for 1 extra tackle) or a penalty with the offending player sent to the bin (not sustainable in a world where Buzz has Twitter).

Last edited:
The only rules that should ever have been changed were to introduce concussion protocols and, even though I hated it at the time, end the shoulder charge. They just had to enforce the rules. Constantly speeding the game up turns it into a mickey mouse comp and the 2 point field goal is far and away the worst thing they've changed.

Who do these changes even appeal to? Not like the average fan is sitting watching a game thinking "mmm this is too slow" and I doubt 1 in 10 fans think 2 point field goals are a good idea. WTF.

I think the field goal rules suits us more then any other team, Isaako can kick them from past 50 meters where as most teams can't even do a field goal from 30 meters.

See this just is a further demonstration that the NRL have no farken idea of what they are doing, they think viewer numbers are dropping because the game is getting 'stale' when then real reason is that they've bastardised the game and officiating so badly that its no longer rugby league.

The field goal change will be dropped when Isaako nails a few instead of those pointless kicks we usually do straight to the fullback from 45m out. They won’t keep a change that helps us.

The 2-point 40m field goal seems like an attempt to manufacture more Golden Point games. Beforehand if a team was down by 2, they either had to win a penalty or score a try to draw or win the game. Now they'll be taking long range field goal attempts, riveting stuff...

See this just is a further demonstration that the NRL have no farken idea of what they are doing, they think viewer numbers are dropping because the game is getting 'stale' when then real reason is that they've bastardised the game and officiating so badly that its no longer rugby league.
Pretty much on the money, I watch with the sound low as I can't stand listening to Gus or Amphetamine Andrew, trying to follow the play is getting harder the last couple of seasons, all the talk is about speeding up the game, same as cricket has done with T20, well f*** it I am a 5 day test match sort of guy and I want to see some good slog in the forwards, the way they are making changes to speed up the game, you will never again see front rowers built like an Andrew Gee, Martin Bella or George Rose of years gone past.

The 2-point 40m field goal seems like an attempt to manufacture more Golden Point games. Beforehand if a team was down by 2, they either had to win a penalty or score a try to draw or win the game. Now they'll be taking long range field goal attempts, riveting stuff...

It could result in some very cynical football.

Does the NRL not realise that making the game much faster on 2020 with the BS 6-again rule was likely responsible for the record high injury toll league wide.

Now they want to make it faster still...

LEAVE THE FUCKING GAME ALONE ... if it ain't broke, don't fix it

Does the NRL not realise that making the game much faster on 2020 with the BS 6-again rule was likely responsible for the record high injury toll league wide.

Now they want to make it faster still...

LEAVE THE FUCKING GAME ALONE ... if it ain't broke, don't fix it
This. Yeah having half the games genuine superstars out injured in any given round is harming the game more than the idea it’s too slow.

Most people that don’t watch League have pretty strong opinions about it. Are they gonna forget all that because it’s 3% faster (when it’s not even an issue in the first place)? lmao

Last edited:

Active Now

• Manifesto
  • winslow_wong
  • Midean
  • Tmac
  • lynx000
  • broncoscope
  • Sproj
  • Jazza
  • sooticus
  • Waynesaurus
  • Mr Fourex
  • LGH
  • Morkel
  • GCBRONCO
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Big Del
  • Mister Wright
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosarethebest
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.