2021 Rule Changes

Why are the so erect by no stoppages and game speed?

The NFL and NBA are two of the biggest sports in the world and they are slower than a Stanley Kubrick movie.

NFL and NBA: Thousands of stoppages.
Cricket: Like 30 seconds between every single delivery, a minute between every over.
Tennis: 10-15 seconds between every point, 30 seconds between every game, couple of minutes between every time players change sides.
Soccer:

NRL: GOTTA GO FAST

Getting rid of the scrum is so dumb.

here’s an idea, how about you half the time the defensive side has to pack the scrum so the attacking side can get the show on the road.
I genuinely hate this V’landys guy, slime ball.

This whole trying to reinvent the wheel is stupid, how about you just get the refs to actually call the game the way the rules stipulate and tell John’s and Gus to shut the **** up about all of the penalties, players and coaches will learn to stop bending the rules.

Annesley defending the new rules after they have been heavily criticised:

The quality of the football has been excellent considering they’ve all only played one trial,” said NRL head of football Graham Annesley.

“The fears of the game being massively faster than last year haven’t eventuated. We have seen less ball-in-play and it’s been no faster or more continuous than it was last year at this stage.

“We’re not seeing more play-the-balls than we did last year. It’s not like they’re squeezing a lot more football into the same amount of time.

“Stats need to be monitored over a period of time, not a couple of games. No one has played themselves into match fitness yet and it is hot.

“There is a perception things are different based on the rule changes but we’re not seeing that statistically.”

Not seeing it statistically but every fucking game looks and feels exactly the same. Out of gas, mistake, six again, try.

The 6 again rule is deadset the worst thing to happen to this sport in god knows how long (oh wait, the 7 tackle set is another bludger). It has made every game so predictable. A typically defence dominated grind in the first half, followed by a tsunami of points by the side with less fatigue/better conditioning in the 2nd. It feels like every single game follows this exact pattern now.

And I fear the damage it might do in the long term when it comes to player burnout as well. There is just no chance the majority of players are going to be able to maintain this absurd game speed without their bodies breaking down. V'landys is a pig headed deadshit rolling in the nice fresh mud that the Rugby League media lay out for him every week.

Yeah its sad, I can see that the game is gradually be whittled away before my eyes and honestly I feel a bit powerless to stop it.

We are quickly heading towards a cheap, gimmicky, fake version of what we used to call Rugby League. The tradition and history of the game built over the last 100+ years is being destroyed (very quickly) with all the continual rules changes.

Vlandy's is like a cheap corner 'beauty therapist' spruiking lip fillers, botox injections, fake eyelashes and hair extensions. He is changing something that may not have been perfect but was still damn fine looking into something that is fake and plastic, right now we've reached the point regardless of what you change the uglier it gets.

Last edited:
Wonder how many games the Panthers, Rabbits, Storm, Raiders and Roosters will lose to teams outside of that 5. I can't see many upsets, these sides have a good 15 minute period and it's game over.

Last edited:
I usually watch every game of round 1 due to heightened fantasy footy interest. I couldn't get through them all this year, first time.

Moving forward I'm probably only gonna be watching the prime time games + Broncos. Definitely won't be giving up my Saturday and Sunday day times for this rubbish.

I usually watch every game of round 1 due to heightened fantasy footy interest. I couldn't get through them all this year, first time.

Moving forward I'm probably only gonna be watching the prime time games + Broncos. Definitely won't be giving up my Saturday and Sunday day times for this rubbish.

Yeah I set the goal to watch all the games on the weekend and I got there (apart from the Raiders - Tigers second half) and I was quite bored. Blow outs just aren't fun and particularly when officiating is so one-sided that sometimes exacerbates the problem. It is in danger of becoming a sport that just is not rugby league anymore. Meanwhile the bloke responsible for it all continues to be praised like he is the chosen one.

Yeah I set the goal to watch all the games on the weekend and I got there (apart from the Raiders - Tigers second half) and I was quite bored. Blow outs just aren't fun and particularly when officiating is so one-sided that sometimes exacerbates the problem. It is in danger of becoming a sport that just is not rugby league anymore. Meanwhile the bloke responsible for it all continues to be praised like he is the chosen one.
Meanwhile Foxsports frothing over PVL's interview with Matty Johns has me cringeing. Can't handle it.

It's just hard to know if I've turned into a cranky old boomer pining for the old days, if it's because the Broncos suck, or if the game has genuinely gone to pot.

Meanwhile Foxsports frothing over PVL's interview with Matty Johns has me cringeing. Can't handle it.

It's just hard to know if I've turned into a cranky old boomer pining for the old days, if it's because the Broncos suck, or if the game has genuinely gone to pot.
I'd say it's probably a mix of all three.....and I totally understand.

Last edited:
I barely watch anymore, something happened it 2015 that broke me.

The fact it’s so scripted with the officiating. The origin series where Qld pulled game 2 out of the fire with a broken JT highlighted this as every 50/50 call went QLDs way. No way the NRL wants a dead rubber.

The lack of professionalism from all levels and the refereeing that is somehow untouchable unless it affects Roosters or Storm is one of the main issues for me.
I used to watch it for fun. Now I barely watch a game. Guess I’m a cranky old **** at 40

I think the game is definitely going to pot. It’s just that it’s being done slowly but surely so that you barely notice until one day, it’ll slap you in the face.

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncoFan94
  • bert_lifts
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Sproj
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Battler
  • Johnny92
  • Xzei
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.