2021 Rule Changes

It's a good change that fixes one of the biggest flaws of the NRL squad system. Before you were basically locked into that 32 Man (29 players + 3 development players) squad with very little flexibility. So if you had a huge injury toll or players that were struggling for one reason or another there was very little you could do even though there were better options in the Queensland Cup or NSW Cup. Not only does this help the NRL players but it gives players in the QCup and NSW Cup added incentive to stick around and play good consistent football so they can take advantage of that window of opportunity.

Sometimes all it takes is one good performance to open up many doors.

The only loophole I could see is if you had a player like Karmichael Hunt stick around at Souths, brain it and instead of being paid what he's worth, the Broncos sit on it until Round 11 and then get him at a much cheaper rate. Or if you have a player seek a release and instead of signing with an NRL club right away, they sign with Redcliffe for 2021 but the Warriors for 2022. I'm sure they'll have measures put in place but that's a potential flaw that sticks out.

or for Cam Smith and Storm to be dodgy about him playing this season.

Smith at Tigers for 11 weeks would be great.
He wouldn’t technically have to play though right? And could still cameo during storms season on a train and trial deal

He wouldn’t technically have to play though right? And could still cameo during storms season on a train and trial deal

The Broncos did it with Darren Smith, Ben Ikin and Benji but they also played ISC. Not playing and sitting around for half way through the year so you can play a few games- what would be in that for Smith or even the Storm?

I can only see disruption and problems for very little return- what does the Storm get out of it? Smith for 12 games on less than 100k a year? A hooker who hasn't played since October the previous year?

It may even incentivise experienced players to sign with an affiliate and give back to the game so to speak, knowing they can receive a call-up.

I'm not sure how it will play out if the NRL decides to bring back a national U/21s and Reserve Grade but it wouldn't hurt the QCup competition to have a player of Cam Smith's calibre lining up. I'd imagine the players would love the opportunity to play alongside or against him and it would receive some media coverage. Whatever benefit an NRL team would receive is minimal and it could keep these players involved longer and help ease their transitions into retirement.

If they're still good enough like Benji to chase an NRL contract, more power to them but to have that option available could only strengthen the game.

The Broncos did it with Darren Smith, Ben Ikin and Benji but they also played ISC. Not playing and sitting around for half way through the year so you can play a few games- what would be in that for Smith or even the Storm?

I can only see disruption and problems for very little return- what does the Storm get out of it? Smith for 12 games on less than 100k a year? A hooker who hasn't played since October the previous year?
Smith apparently only trains for 2 weeks per of season the last few years as it is. He’s Cameron Smith, he’d come back from half a season of golf and be the best player in the world - 40 years old and feeling fresh from a long break. What an easy way to extend your career. I even wonder if he could get a media job or coaching advisor role to make the money he’s more accustomed to while sparring the storm the cap space...and that’s not even getting into the darker conspiracies that the club and player in question have a history of.

NRL willing to again tweak new rules after trial run: Annesley​

Brad Walter
NRL.com Senior Reporter
Fri 26 Feb 2021, 12:23 PM

As teams prepare for their first matches under new rules, NRL head of football Graham Annesley has declared further tweaks would be considered if needed to ensure increases to the speed of the game and time that the ball is in play.

The ARL Commission has introduced eight rule changes for the 2021 season aimed at minimising stoppages, increasing fatigue and creating unpredictably.

However, there have been suggestions that replacing scrums with a play-the-ball when the ball or ball carrier go into touch could actually slow the game down.

St George Illawarra captain Ben Hunt and former Melbourne and Sydney Roosters premiership-winning halfback Cooper Cronk have spoken out about the potential impact of the rule but Annesley said steps would be taken to ensure play restarts quickly.

"If we have a scrum, you have to wait for all the players to get there, the referee has to pack the scrum, and the ball has to be fed and come back out, so having a handover either 10 metres in [from the sideline], 20 metres in or in the centre of the field, in theory, should be quicker," Annesley said.

"If we have to look at the process to make that faster then we will do that. If it is slowing down for any particular reason, like defensive lines getting set, then there are some levers we can pull to make that a bit quicker."

A number of other rule changes are intended to reduce stoppage time for penalties and scrums or ensure that when scrums are required they provide genuine attacking opportunities, including:
  • Six-again to be called for 10-metre infringements instead of a penalty;
  • A handover to be ordered when a player does not make a genuine attempt to play the ball correctly with their foot, and
  • A penalty to be awarded if a player leaves the scrum before the referee calls "break".
“Everything we have done over the last few years has really been about minimising stoppages, increasing the amount of time the ball is in play, increasing the fatigue factor, trying to open up some spaces on the field and making the game more exciting and entertaining to watch,” Annesley said.

Tactical trainer stoppages a target​

One of the most significant rule changes is the requirement of injured players to leave the field for two minutes if a trainer stops play.

"We’ve made it very clear that this was brought about because we felt it was too loose the other way," Annesley said.

"It had been taken advantage of in some cases and the objective is that the play shouldn’t stop unless there is a serious injury.

"We’ve got into this habit in recent years of every time a player is injured we stop the game. That is another stoppage and it can’t be used tactically.

"A team that is under pressure in defence can’t decide to stop the game for an injury unless the referee deems that the player is in the way or the referee deems that there is a serious injury."

Under the new rule, the injured player must be taken from the field for two minutes unless his team uses an interchange to replace him.

"Unless it is a head injury, if the trainer calls for the game to be stopped and the referee stops the game, that player will have to go off the field for at least two minutes before they can rejoin play," Annesley said.

"If it is a HIA, they can be assessed on the field and they can resume but if it is for any other injury, then they can be interchanged or if they are continuing to play then the player has to go off for two minutes.

"He has to go around from wherever he comes off to the bench area and the interchange official will supervise him back onto the field after two minutes."

Two-point long-range field goals​

The two-point field goal isn't expected to feature in most games but the Indigenous team were being urged to consider a 40-metre attempt when trailing 10-8 with minutes remaining in last Saturday night's All Stars match.

Instead, they ended up getting a penalty and kicking a penalty goal and the game finished in a 10-10 draw with the Maori All Stars as there was no extra time.

"I'm sure there will players practising it," Annesley said.

"I have spoken to a couple of coaches who said to me that if it is winding down towards half-time and they are in the right position on the field and they are probably not going to score a try just before the siren sounds they might give it a crack.

"Of course, the other time it is most likely to be used is if a team is two points down or one point down with full-time approaching.

"It just adds another element of surprise in the game.

"At the moment, if you are two points behind there is nothing you can do except hope you either get a penalty kick or score a try but now there is another option.

"To kick a field goal from 40 metres out is not easy, it is a skill and very few players could actually do it – particularly under the pressure of defence.

"But it just opens up another option, and what we are trying to do with the rules is make the game less predictable."

Good time to adapt​

With the six-again rule and return to one referee introduced when the Telstra Premiership resumed last May after being suspended for 10 weeks due to the COVID-19 pandemic, coaches and players had little time to adapt to the changes.

However, they have now had an off-season to review the impact of the six-again call and the new rules announced last December.

Former Kangaroos forward and long-serving assistant coach David Fairleigh will help new NRL referees' boss Jared Maxwell to combat teams trying to take advantage of the rule changes.

Fairleigh, who played 246 matches for North Sydney, Newcastle and St Helens and made 15 Test appearances for Australia before turning to coaching, will provide an insight into the way coaches and players may seek to exploit the new rules.

He has been on the coaching staff of North Sydney, Parramatta, Newcastle, the Warriors, Penrith and North Queensland before taking up a role with the NRL match officials last year.

"People who have come out of clubland as coaches are able to give a view about how clubs might interpret things and how they might try to utilise the rules," Annesley said

"There is nothing wrong with utilising the rules to your own advantage as long as you aren’t flouting the rules but certainly having those sort of people involved will help referees get a better feel for what is going to happen."

Why are the so erect by no stoppages and game speed?

The NFL and NBA are two of the biggest sports in the world and they are slower than a Stanley Kubrick movie.

The NRL board meeting with these idiots talking about making things faster:

Going at break neck speed sure worked for the sequel trilogy as well didn't it, universally loved it isn't.

Why are the so erect by no stoppages and game speed?

The NFL and NBA are two of the biggest sports in the world and they are slower than a Stanley Kubrick movie.
Because someone at news corp told them fast games sell more.

Honestly has anyone ever heard someone complain about the speed of the game?

I actually think completely the opposite, for mine the NRL was the worst it's ever been last year because it was too fast. There's no tension when it's basically arcade pinball

I actually think completely the opposite, for mine the NRL was the worst it's ever been last year because it was too fast. There's no tension when it's basically arcade pinball

That's a really good way to put it.

The language they use troubles me - increasing fatigue. That is supposed to happen naturally as well as being a consequence of the reduced interchange. You don't need to artificially increase fatigue, all that will do is produce more injuries, not a better game.

Lack of quality leadership isn't limited to the Broncos at the moment.

Literally only Gus Gould complains about it, but he complains about everything.

That's a really good way to put it.

The language they use troubles me - increasing fatigue. That is supposed to happen naturally as well as being a consequence of the reduced interchange. You don't need to artificially increase fatigue, all that will do is produce more injuries, not a better game.

Lack of quality leadership isn't limited to the Broncos at the moment.
I don't have stats on me but last year seemed particularly bad for injuries.

This is spot on. Rugby League used to be perfectly paced. I never heard anyone complain about the speed of the game other than the wrestle, but go back and watch some older games and the referees used to be pretty lenient with how long you could lie on a bloke for so I think even that is overstated.

There's value in stoppages in sport, but now the NRL just seems way too frantic and is not as enjoyable to watch. I want to be able to take a piss or grab a drink and not miss 3 sets of six (with 4 restarts and a 7-tackle set just for good measure)

The NRL's own article about the rule changes is a joke.

2-point field goal - "To encourage more unstructured play and increase the chances of a result changing in the final moments of a game."

How does a 2-point field goal encourage more unstructured play? Are they saying that a 40m+ field goal is an unstructured play and therefore it will be encouraged because it's worth 2 points? Fucking geniuses.

Then they go on to talk about how important scrums are, then immediately follow it by saying they are removing scrums when the ball goes out of touch!

Capture1

Capture

I'm going to lose it when I hear that stupid horn 3 times over in one set of six (or anytime the idiot forgets to disable it after a scrum/drop-out and we all just pretend like this isn't the most amateurly run sport in the country). You watch this sport with someone new and they ask what the horn means after a scrum or a dropout and you have to tell them that the guy forgot to turn off the shot-clock horn.

I could go on and on about all this but the reality is that the rule changes aren't for our benefit. Quicker games equals more tries which is when they get to run ads. The rest of the game gets condensed so they can fit the match into the allocated timeslot easily.

I just wish they'd step back from 6 again, and look at making null tackles or tackles that don't count towards. the tackle count for certain infringements

This will allow referees to remain consistant through the game without feeling like they're handing the game to a team.

Last edited:
"At the moment, if you are two points behind there is nothing you can do except hope you either get a penalty kick or score a try but now there is another option.
I mean this justification for the 2pt field goal is just ridiculous.

Instead of wanting the team behind to look for a try they want them to look for a 40m field goal... I guess there must be a silent majority that fucking loves a field goal shootout, because why the **** else would you be encouraging more of them.

It wasn't that long ago idiot media were asking for golden try to stop the back and forth trash shots at field goal, yet the NRL want to encourage it even more

Last edited:
I guess there must be a silent majority that fucking loves a field goal shootout, because why the **** else would you be encouraging more field goals.
I think it's the riveting 4 forward hit ups (maybe a dummy half run as well) to set up for the field goal that really gets the crowd going!

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • phoenix
  • Jazza
  • Shane Tronc
  • Tim K
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Allo
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • BroncosAlways
  • FACTHUNT
  • Manifesto
  • GCBRONCO
  • azza.79
  • westy316
  • TimWhatley
  • davidp
  • Maroon4life
  • Kev_Guz
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.