POST GAME [2022 State of Origin - Game 3] QLD vs NSW

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
here is what Gagai said about his fight with Burton:

“That was just looking after your mate. I’d seen him run over the top of KP [Kalyn Ponga] and I wasn’t going to let it slide,” Gagai said.

He wasn’t going to let me try and bully him like that. It is footy. It is Origin. I have no hard feelings against him.

“I’ve had a few run-ins with him outside of footy and he seems like a good bloke. My dad has always taught me that anything that happens on the field stays on the field.

“If it goes the other way and one of their big boys bashed me then I wouldn’t have a sour feeling towards them, because they would just be sticking up for their mate.”

Was that thought going through Gagai’s mind? (given the punch is no longer tolerated):

“Nah. I probably just said,’ F*** it. It’s Origin’. It is standing up for your mate and for yourself. I ran in and gave him a bit if a shove after he ran over KP. He stood up for himself, like you should do. Then it was just on after that.”

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
I can't bag out Joey - he's reacted the same way most of us would, because he's passionate about it.

I'd probably hide it a little better if I was on the telly though haha.
Yeah, no hate here either...I just enjoy calling him a salty ****. He may have come across as a bit bitter and a sook but at least he didn't blame the referee, unlike the guy in my avatar.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah, no hate here either...I just enjoy calling him a salty ****. He may have come across as a bit bitter and a sook but at least he didn't blame the referee, unlike the guy in my avatar.

I just saw part of the Freddy press conference and just had to laugh.

whinging about Burton getting binned, after saying he didn't see how the fight started (only the end)

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I don't really care if John's was petulant because he simply showed us how much it still hurts, getting beaten by a qld team that just isn't really as high a quality a team as the opposition yet frustratingly keeps finding a way to win. It's theatre and adds to it all.

johnyE

johnyE

NYC Player
Aug 17, 2015
One of Gagai’s greatest origin plays in my opinion. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth and he would never have expected to cop it for being a grub in this day and age.
Pity he didn't
Patty oozes captaincy from every pore.
And to win the Walter Lewis Medal for an Origin series certainly just added to his resume . Outstanding .

something

something

QCup Player
Jun 6, 2015
Freddy deserved to lose this series. For bad team lists
- not picking proven NSWmen (e.g. Addo Carr, Jurbo game 1, Wighton game 3)
- pandering to the Panther squad (dropping RCG after a solid performance)
- picking too many Panthers (Crighton is not NSW best centre, Luai isn't the best 6)
- weird Talakai selection

Then whining and bitching about everything after game 1 (no accountability, not my fault mentality)

Lastly, and maybe most importantly, allowing so many selection dramas. If I had Tupou umm-ing and ahh-ing I'd have a proper sit down with him, assess where his head is at, and if he isn't commited - go to someone else. As QLD continually shows, Origin isn't about who the best player is. It's about who wants it more. Starry team beats a team of stars

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
This would be sweet ...if true. :rofl

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
I wonder if Freddy is going to cop any shit for leaving Wighton out of the side.

Burton was rubbish. At least Wighton would have been a threat, especially with our right side being in disarray early on.
Once they do away with that plodder Luai and move Burton to the Halves I think he’s going to be a far bigger threat.

NSW fans love Luai for his carry on but as a Queenslander I love him more because he’s a penalty and six again magnet, his defence is mud and best of all, he’s keeps their actual best 5/8 stuck playing in the Centres.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
Freddy deserved to lose this series. For bad team lists
- not picking proven NSWmen (e.g. Addo Carr, Jurbo game 1, Wighton game 3)
- pandering to the Panther squad (dropping RCG after a solid performance)
- picking too many Panthers (Crighton is not NSW best centre, Luai isn't the best 6)
- weird Talakai selection

Then whining and bitching about everything after game 1 (no accountability, not my fault mentality)

Lastly, and maybe most importantly, allowing so many selection dramas. If I had Tupou umm-ing and ahh-ing I'd have a proper sit down with him, assess where his head is at, and if he isn't commited - go to someone else. As QLD continually shows, Origin isn't about who the best player is. It's about who wants it more. Starry team beats a team of stars
I can’t remember which commentator actually said it but they were talking about the Ponga try and how he almost willed himself over the line just because he wanted it so much more than the NSW defender wanted to stop him, and he was dead right.

NSW have all the talent, they nearly always do. At times it’s embarrassingly lopsided just how big their advantage in terms of depth is, but Queensland always manage to make a fight out of it because regardless of who puts on the Marlon jersey, they just want it so much more.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

One of my favourite origin moments. Ever. Absolutely pathetic kick from Cleary with an even shitter effort in the chase, if he wasn't a media love child he'd be absolutely hammered for his rubbish performance. Highest paid player in the game, you'd expect more.

**** yes Hunt you champ.

Does anyone recognise who was yelling GO GO GO?

As much as people bag JT, he would have never given up the chase in a situation like that.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
I can't bag out Joey - he's reacted the same way most of us would, because he's passionate about it.

I'd probably hide it a little better if I was on the telly though haha.
Of course it hurts, it’s supposed to hurt. But when you’re working in the media and have the benefit of decades of media training as he’d no doubt have had, you’re expected to behave with a little more class and professionalism.

Not many Queenslanders feel the hurt worse than Fatty, but after all these years, even in our darkest days, I’ve never heard him carry on like Johns. Sulking is fine, we all do it, save it for the taxi ride home or the hotel room though, not national television. It only makes the victory even sweeter for your opposition in this case.

something

something

QCup Player
Jun 6, 2015
Once they do away with that plodder Luai and move Burton to the Halves I think he’s going to be a far bigger threat.

NSW fans love Luai for his carry on but as a Queenslander I love him more because he’s a penalty and six again magnet, his defence is mud and best of all, he’s keeps their actual best 5/8 stuck playing in the Centres.
Wighton & Burton are both better 6s than Luai. Luai is opportunistic but goes missing when it counts, and his D isnt origin standard.

He has the Milford thing going on, really good when the teams on top, but doesn't offer anything when they're behind

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
I wonder if the queenslanders On the panel we’re giving him a bit of stick just before they went to air for that particular segment.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Shows you how incredibly talented he must have been. Like, no one can become the best in their field AND be drug fucked, not over three decades as you claim. Right? I mean, sure drugs can help for a short period but being at the very top over a long period, nah, nobody does that on drugs.

If he succeeded IN SPITE of being drug addicted/fucked as you claim then he was a monumental talent.

Of course there's another possibility. Perhaps he was highly dedicated most of the time and just dabbled recreationally. That seems to explain how he could be at the top for so long. Mmm, maybe it was more just drug use than abusing the opportunity to use as much drugs as possible. Perhaps he only played around with it a bit but otherwise put in the hard yards because if not, **** me, he must have been good to overcome the obstacle that drug abuse creates.

I dont know how people can defend Johns drug taking. As much as it wasnt directly performance enhancing in a physical sense, he's openly admitted he took them to help him cope with the pressure. And what separates the good players from the great ones is the ability to perform under pressure. Plenty of talented footballers have never achieved what they could have if they could have handled the pressure, so i think its a more than fair argument to say Joey might easily have never reached the heights he did without the drugs.

After speaking to somebody i know who has worked with him in a football setting, he sounds like he is a decent bloke. Helps anyone out with their games and nothing was ever too much trouble for him. Problem is, like anyone who has been caught, or admitted to taking drugs while playing, there is always going to be a question mark over if they would have been the same player without them.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
after hearing Cam Smith riding home Hunt, whats the bet channel 9 replace him with another blue ... while still leaving Johns in place

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Mustafur
  • Allo
  • Fozz
  • Mr Fourex
  • Big Del
  • dirtyharry
  • thenry
  • TimWhatley
  • bb_gun
  • Aldo
  • Nerd
  • Mister Wright
  • winslow_wong
  • HarryAllan7
  • Strop
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.