2023 State of Origin - Game III Discussion

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Wonder how many who bought tickets for this game will actually turn up. I'm sure a good number will be loathe to travel out knowing full well we'll be lifting the shield at the end of the night.

Many will take one look at Freddy's latest picks and will be already making alternative plans. How pleasing to see we're only contributing one player albeit he's at least worth three be.cause of the effort he puts in.

Pleased Horse is getting a run and I think Luai's post after the game has stamped his card for good too. Bye Felecia!
Yeah, I don't expect this to sellout

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
Only last week I was questioning Bradman bests suitability for NRL. He is possibly the dumbest player I have seen. Maybe might be trumped by Jamayne Isaako. Really Freddy? It's like the TPJ choice, Best will be selected, fail and never be spoken about at origin level again.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
NSW side is hilarious.

I'm not actually sure what the worst pick is.

JayPee

JayPee

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2017
Bradman Best scored a length of the field try in the U16s or 18s I think it was to win the game when fittler was the coach. He has a soft spot for him. Problem is people actually watch the games week to week and see that he isnt any good. He should be donating 30k to the Bulldogs charity. He is one of the worst defensive players in the game. Knights fans have wanted him gone.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Buzz and Brandy's interaction on 360 tonight was interesting...
I was very disappointed Buzz didn’t answer with “obviously yes” to brandy when he asked Buzz if he thought Nicho deserved to be picked. Of course you pick Hynes you muppet.

I can’t believe they didn’t pick Tago, for some reason I thought he was a kiwi but he’s actually a blue and they went with Best instead, LOL.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Last time we had a chance to whitewash a series was 2016. I wonder if this game will have an ending as crazy as the one in 2016.

Woods with the massive dive and miss in the celebration, Klemmer taking on one of the smallest blokes, Maloney pushing Parker and running away and then Bird come flying in to put a shot on Parker as well and then runs into the players celebrating and gets put on his ass.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
At the very least, it's an interesting team from NSW. If ever you were going to make a stack of changes, a dead rubber at home would be the place to do it.

The Dylan Edwards omission is an interesting case study. Is it a matter of being behind arguably the greatest NSW fullback of all-time and the captain or is this an admission from the selectors that they only see Edwards as a club player? I could only justify the Edwards selection if I was confident he'd be the difference, and I don't think that would have been the case.

It may also shine a light into the NSW psyche. They're more fragmented than the Maroons and it leads to a lot of politics and self-interest. If you play into it and make the Blues into a Penrith side-show it can get ugly in a hurry. It's not like the Maroons were immune to that, you just have to look at 1996.

It's disappointing that they didn't use this game to extend an olive branch to Nicho Hynes. Maybe they thought the situation was still too raw and they'd be doing him a disservice. Still, I'd like to think each debut is well thought out and deserved. The Koloamatangi selection for instance is spot on and it's just a shame he missed the start of the series with injury.

However, you've got the reigning Dally M medalist who was the form player of the competition heading into the series. You'd think this would be the type of game that would do him justice and get the fans behind the team.

It's especially puzzling because he's being overlooked for Cody Walker who was unceremoniously hooked on debut and played a role in the Blues losing the unlosable series in 2020. No doubt Walker's form would have put him in the frame, but that's when the series was alive. Now that it's over is he really that much better than Hynes?

That's one reason I don't mind the Best selection. They've clearly been looking for any excuse to pick him. Burton has had a taste, he should be in the team for a long time, but he's struggling at the moment and deserves to come in with a clean slate. If you think Best is a rep quality player, you may as well give him his shot.

I'm perplexed by Saifiti are they really that short on front row forwards? Was a couple of weeks really the difference for RCG being available for a do-or-die game behind enemy lines and a dead rubber? And what about Utoikamanu? You bring him in with an eye to the future in a do or die game and then proceed to drop him when he'll have the crowd behind him?

You'd just like to think there is some plan they're working towards. Whether they're picking players who they believe are of rep calibre or players who just deserve an opportunity. It honestly just seems like Freddy has some recency bias or he'll desperately go back to what worked for him.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
It has been one of those series for NSW.

If you had asked me at the start of the season what a full-strength NSW side would look like, the first 15 names I'd give you would look like...

1. James Tedesco
2. Brian To'o
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Tom Trbojevic
5. Joseph Suaalii
6. Jarome Luai
7. Nathan Cleary
8. Payne Haas
9. Damien Cook
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Angus Crichton
12. Liam Martin
13. Isaah Yeo

14. Junior Paulo
15. Cameron Murray

With 16 and 17 coming down to form. If I had to pick two players it would have been Reagan Campbell-Gillard and Jack Wighton, but those positions would be wide open.

Then you just go through the list - Tedesco has had had a bad slump, Latrell got injured on the eve of Origin I and has missed the entire series. Tom never had enough confidence to go all out and eventually picks up a pec injury when he does try to over-extend.

Suaalii signs with Rugby and it just seems like he's regressed. Cleary tears his hamstring after Game I, out for the series. Jake injures his hamstring and misses the opening two games. Angus is slowly but surely getting himself right after some mental health problems, and needs time away from the pressure cooker.

Even a player like Murray has had injury issues and hasn't been as involved as seasons gone by.

Then you look at the potential players who could come in like Campbell Graham, Keaon Koloamatangi, Shaun Lane etc. and they've all had injury setbacks. Then there's players like Jack de Belin who should be involved in the system, but you can't pick him because of the way he destroyed his career.

Some of the selections have been quite comical and the Blues braintrust has really panicked under the slightest hint of adversity. It really did seem like they based a lot of selections around how the players performed the weekend of selections - which was about as useful as judging players based on City vs. Country. Especially as that went on and the real contest was trying to get yourself ruled out of playing.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
This should be the easiest prep in origin history for Qld.

I've not seen many NSW'men overly happy with the team and a lot of selections are being questioned.

Qld just need to sit back and be completely quiet... the quietest origin build-up in history. Give the media nothing to talk about or latch onto, and they will shift their attention to the NSW squad and just rip it to shreds for the next 10 days.

That will eventually filter down to the players who will start to second guess their inclusion in the squad, and with the way NSW selections have been they could be thinking it's their one and only shot before being scapegoated and never seen again.

OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008
I don't get this NSW side.

I would have thought the best thing for NSW to do at this stage (given they haven't exactly set the world on fire over the last 4-5 years) would be to start looking to the future. Picking players like Tedesco and Walker (over players like Edwards or Hynes), isn't doing that.

Although when the NSW coach isn't contracted beyond this series, I can understand why his priority might just be trying to win this game. looking out for his own future rather than the states.

But then you a selection like Bradman Best. Where does something like that fit in? Doesn't seem to be the best selection to try and win the game (surely Burton is better, or a handful of other centres), and with the number of young-ish centre options NSW has, it doesn't even seem like the best decision for the future.

Fittler has gone a long way to losing this series in the selection room.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
I honestly think NSW have got themselves so confused over the loyalty v form issue they just can't see the forest for the trees anymore.
Their forward pack at least held it's own and dominated in patches so far. No need to change too much except for injury. It's converting opportunity to points that's been the issue.
Tedesco is the perfect example of loyalty v form. The guy is done at this level but they won't admit it, not an easy decision but one that needed to be made.
Now they go for 35yr old Cody who's had his chance, isn't the future and all his so form is within the Souffs structures whixh he won't get here. Meanwhile while they overlook Nico again. No loyalty.
There are other current examples, the messaging is mixed and a cluster, you just would not know what to think.
Then in the background you have "experts " like Gus and Matty John's chiming in along with every journo throwing their 2 cents.
The entire plan was built around Panthers which fell apart once Nathan was injured and they had no plan B.
My predictions for next week. Cody to shit the bed, Best to play his only origin, Teddy to retire.

Active Now

• Brotherdu
  • Bucking Beads
  • Culhwch
  • Galah
  • broncos4life
  • Ronald
  • Wolfie
  • Mr Fourex
  • Scdeac
  • Lostboy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fatboy
  • Socnorb
  • OXY-351
  • john1420
  • johnyE
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.