2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

Roosters practising their dodgey wrestling techniques...

1 August 2014.

Lost 16-4.

Look at that backline.

1. Hoffman
2. Vidot
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Reed
6. Barba
7. Hunt
To be fair I don't recall many of us having an issue with it at the time. Hoffman was meant to be the next big thing, Vidot had some good touches and Barba was meant to be a star. Hunt was clearly coming good and Reed looked good.

Copley probably the only question mark at the time...

To be fair I don't recall many of us having an issue with it at the time. Hoffman was meant to be the next big thing, Vidot had some good touches and Barba was meant to be a star. Hunt was clearly coming good and Reed looked good.

Copley probably the only question mark at the time...

There weren't many people that were fans of Hoffman at that time. He wasn't wanted in the spine, mainly due to the fact that he was a one trick pony and there was a lot of dislike about Hook caving to his demands for a spine spot. We all wanted him on the wing where he proved to be a really good finisher.

The biggest issue with the backline was Jack Reed on the wing. Reed was not a popular figure on the forum and fans were not happy to see the compromise - they wanted young Kahu on the wing.

Interestingly, I don't remember too many members pushing for Oates on the wing. Huge was the most vocal member and time proved him right.

Copley was actually relatively popular at the time. He was in career best form and many thought he had found his position in the centres. I still recall making the point that a Copley highlights reel would look more impressive than a Reed, only for Freaky to blow my spot.

Yeah, fans were not happy about having Hoffman in the spine, especially when he started posing with Bulldogs players at the World Cup when he was still contracted with the club. In hindsight, fans should have been happy to let him go. Still, Hoffman didn't last long at fullback and they eventually relented to Hodges who in an ideal world, would have been the fullback post Hunt, but his body couldn't handle it.

Barba also sticks out. He really struggled at the Broncos and had it been anyone else he would have been public enemy #1. However, 2012 bought him a lot of patience and I think 2016 ultimately redeemed that patience, and called into question the Boyd vs. Barba argument that was prevalent at the time.

Ten years, it certainly flies by.

Ah, that might explain all the offloads in the Titans/Dolphins game yesterday.

Even Herbie attempted one which, of course, spilled onto the ground, like Onan's seed.
more biblical onanism talk from you this year please
hope everyone is well and looking fwd to this wknd
god bless us all
trill harrigan

Dobbo reporting Willison isn’t in the 17. That will piss me off big time. I will be so pissed if Kev picks Baker and Taupau over him. That’s a bog average selection decision if true. BOG AVERAGE.
Think Kevy has earned the right to pick whatever team he wants. Regardless of how they played in a trial.

Dobbo reporting Willison isn’t in the 17. That will piss me off big time. I will be so pissed if Kev picks Baker and Taupau over him. That’s a bog average selection decision if true. BOG AVERAGE.

Considering the occasion, Kevvie is probably favoring experience over youth. Taupau has done his job when selected.

Is Dobbo already in LA? Not sure if the media folks would travel this early at CH9 expense. If they allowed him to travel this early, boy, he must be coming up(spewing) with a lot of b.s they’re able to sell quickly.

Anyways, my team for Vegas is
Backs:
Walsh
Arthurs
Oates
Staggs

Middles:
Mam
Adam
Piakura
Riki
Walters
Jensen
Haas
Patty

Interchange:
Smoothy
Koby
Tapau
Willison

To me, I didn’t see anything in the trail that Baker played warrants a place on the bench. Willison & Tapau looked dangerous and so they deserve their spots in 17. Kev is the man to decide though.

Is Dobbo already in LA? Not sure if the media folks would travel this early at CH9 expense. If they allowed him to travel this early, boy, he must be coming up(spewing) with a lot of b.s they’re able to sell quickly.

Anyways, my team for Vegas is
Backs:
Walsh
Arthurs
Oates
Staggs

Middles:
Mam
Adam
Piakura
Riki
Walters
Jensen
Haas
Patty

Interchange:
Smoothy
Koby
Tapau
Willison

To me, I didn’t see anything in the trail that Baker played warrants a place on the bench. Willison & Tapau looked dangerous and so they deserve their spots in 17. Kev is the man to decide though.

You going in with 16 men is bold. I too think we handle the Roosters comfortably and like the fact you want to try to level the playing field somewhat.

That close up of the finger in the eye:
oh my god omg GIF

Active Now

• Santa
  • Fozz
  • barker
  • broncotville
  • NSW stables
  • winslow_wong
  • lynx000
  • Midean
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Painin the Haas
  • Waynesaurus
  • Manifesto
  • Foordy
  • Tim K
  • theshed
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.