2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I took an interest in Baker post Broncos’ signing and I saw some lazy habits. Against the Storm in finals Grant took advantage of him being slow out of the tackle and followed him to make ground and then the NSW Cup Grand Final thought his attack was very lacking- coming off the bench in a GF you need impact and he didn’t provide that.

I know he’s had lots of knee disruptions but he’s still played 35/46 Cup/NRL games after the disappointment of the Roosters exit he should have been frothing to play a GF.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I took an interest in Baker post Broncos’ signing and I saw some lazy habits. Against the Storm in finals Grant took advantage of him being slow out of the tackle and followed him to make ground and then the NSW Cup Grand Final thought his attack was very lacking- coming off the bench in a GF you need impact and he didn’t provide that.

I know he’s had lots of knee disruptions but he’s still played 35/46 Cup/NRL games after the disappointment of the Roosters exit he should have been frothing to play a GF.
You could look at it that way but imagine he did his knee in a reserve grade gf before starting at a new club on a short (2 year) deal where he is no guarantee to be top 17. More likely he held back with avoiding injury in the back of his mind.
He does seem to fatigue quickly but I reckon he is a great find by the broncos overall. He is one of those right place/right time players. Saved 4 or 5 tries throughout the year, great on the kick chase, and was involved in a couple "lucky bounces" from being up in support or chasing a kick. But, he does noticeably fatigue quickly.

I think Walters is going to go for a far bigger bench in 2024 with 2 middles playing 20-25 mins each. So his fatigue may not matter too much. With the 2 most in form of tapau/baker/willison/jensen (and te kura later in the year possibly) being able to keep momentum going when fresh for 20 mins. I think it's the right move. Also, (not in reply to you this next bit) who cares if carrigan is in 8 or 13 shirt, hethrington came back from injury this year but next year his defence for longer stints will be far more beneficial then his impact off the bench.

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
It's strange Baker is being talked up to come straight in and start. He should 100% be behind Jensen, who hasn't let us down in first grade, and always performs when dropped to cup.
I think Jensen comes straight in, hetherington is has a bench spot locked up and willison, baker and tapau (and then maybe later in the season te kura) are fighting for the remaining middle bench spot.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
I think Jensen comes straight in, hetherington is has a bench spot locked up and willison, baker and tapau (and then maybe later in the season te kura) are fighting for the remaining middle bench spot.
I think Tapau is done. He will be only used for origin time and injuries, and hopefully remains a good influence in the gym and training for the young guns.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
Kevvie doesn't seem like a coach who will hide from making the big calls. I would assume they go into 2024 with most positions up for grabs, and it goes to whoever proves themselves the most (preseason and trials).
Wonder how trails look like with our lads due to take a trip to USA for season opener? Perhaps play trails against Souffs & Manly in USA? 🤔

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
if they are serious about growing the game go over and have a bit of a hit out with the usarl clubs or atleast invite a club to come train for a week or something

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
It's strange Baker is being talked up to come straight in and start. He should 100% be behind Jensen, who hasn't let us down in first grade, and always performs when dropped to cup.
Imo from what I have seen he is behind Willison on the pecking order, and Te kura the real promising young talent behind him not sure how his game time will be next year, he has to establish himself early or he will be behind Ben and if that happens his game time will be very limited, Te kura outside unfortunate injuries will establish himself quick once he gets game time imo.

Jensen being the obvious starter for 24, he really shouldn't have been dropped for 23 but with Palasia finding another level entirely he had to be on the bench so he was competing against Kobe for a spot, with Flegs gone Jensen has to be a mainstay going forward, he is clearly well beyond Qcup level going by any game he had done there last year.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
How long before we see analysis of this level in the NRL?

I can see its application in the bunker, maybe.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
How long before we see analysis of this level in the NRL?

I can see its application in the bunker, maybe.

Sports scientists for clubs frothing at the mouth rn with this sort of tech.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Is anyone able to confirm whether Lee Briers is continuing with us next season??

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
Hope this stuff about singing the anthem doesn't affect Selwyn in anyway.
All the stuff in the media seems to be directed at him (his photo is always used).
He's probably going to get dropped for the next game for Holmes and if he doesn't get picked again this year not sure where his confidence will be at.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Is anyone able to confirm whether Lee Briers is continuing with us next season??
Of course he will be very few coach contracts are 12 months long and even more so very few coaches who pack up there entire families to move across the other side of the world will be coaches on 12 month contracts. Nobody is that fucken stupid for 12 months of assistant coach pay (even worse than cause originally was a development coach).

Active Now

• sooticus
  • Galah
  • Waynesaurus
  • Seibs
  • BroncosAlways
  • ivanhungryjak
  • RolledOates
  • ezpz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.