2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
If he wants to stay and fight for his position, I like it.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Same. While I accept that this squad isn't the same as the 2015/16 squad, 2016 has me approaching 2024 a lot more cautiously.

I also expect a lot of teams to be better next season.
As long as Walsh continues to kick along we should be right. Losing a prop and centre within the side isn't a very big loss like a leader or spine player. I have confidence in someone like Mariner and Jensen taking on the positions to run with them. They might not be as talented as the players we lost in Flegler and Herbie but we don't need them to win us games either.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
As long as Walsh continues to kick along we should be right. Losing a prop and centre within the side isn't a very big loss like a leader or spine player. I have confidence in someone like Mariner and Jensen taking on the positions to run with them. They might not be as talented as the players we lost in Flegler and Herbie but we don't need them to win us games either.
I think too, if you look at 2015/2016 we had a lot of veterans running on fumes or essentially having an indian summer - Parker, Hodges, Boyd, Blair - all of them massive influences on the team.

This time around it's just Reynolds - which is obviously hugely important but if any half gets injured their team is probably in the shit. Avoid a long term injury to him (and/or an important cog like Walsh) and I think we'll be fine.

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
Vlando's off to the white house........................,just imagine if Trump was still president.......................Trump, Albo and Vlando sitting around 'solving' the worlds problems..........Trump admiring the female white house staff, Albo looking clueless and Vlando comparing everything to horse racing..................the world is truly farked.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Vlando's off to the white house........................,just imagine if Trump was still president.......................Trump, Albo and Vlando sitting around 'solving' the worlds problems..........Trump admiring the female white house staff, Albo looking clueless and Vlando comparing everything to horse racing..................the world is truly farked.

He'll make a beeline straight for Hunter and score some hookers and blow.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
Confused Biden GIF by Luis Ricardo

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
In case you didn't notice: Cobbo and Haas have been dropped/rested from the Australian team to face the Kiwis. Amazing that Flegler and Staggs are Kangaroos now, given their fringe Origin status to date, not to mention the criticism they've faced from Broncos fans.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
In case you didn't notice: Cobbo and Haas have been dropped/rested from the Australian team to face the Kiwis. Amazing that Flegler and Staggs are Kangaroos now, given their fringe Origin status to date, not to mention the criticism they've faced from Broncos fans.

With so many players choosing to play for other countries now, both middles and centres are actually pretty light on for Australia compared to previous years. There are also some injuries to players who would otherwise be there in the centres.

Look at the list of players who would likely be ahead of Staggs if not for injury / discipline / retirement / too old: TTurbo, Mitchell, Holmes, Wighton, Gagai, Crichton.

The only player Staggs beat out really was Best and let's be honest, despite Best's great origin, he isn't yet on the same level as Staggs week in, week out.

As for middles, look at origin, NSW don't really have any except Haas. Even Jurbo somehow managed to make this squad and he is so overrated. Given Flegler's end of season, him making the squad isn't really a surprise.

Soup

Soup

Formerly Soup
Contributor
Jun 25, 2022
With so many players choosing to play for other countries now, both middles and centres are actually pretty light on for Australia compared to previous years. There are also some injuries to players who would otherwise be there in the centres.

Look at the list of players who would likely be ahead of Staggs if not for injury / discipline / retirement / too old: TTurbo, Mitchell, Holmes, Wighton, Gagai, Crichton.

The only player Staggs beat out really was Best and let's be honest, despite Best's great origin, he isn't yet on the same level as Staggs week in, week out.

As for middles, look at origin, NSW don't really have any except Haas. Even Jurbo somehow managed to make this squad and he is so overrated. Given Flegler's end of season, him making the squad isn't really a surprise.
Jurbo over-rated..? I’m at the other end of that spectrum. He’s now almost criminally underrated.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Reece is with family in NZ. Reyno is in Fiji.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Mal Meninga says we're going to win the 2024 premiership, for sure:

“I think Brisbane will be mentally stronger for what happened, absolutely. Having guys like Patty Carrigan, Selwyn, Kotoni and Payne Haas in our Australian team … Brisbane have the nucleus of a premiership team there. You can’t buy that grand-final experience they had. You have to go through it and live it and I’m hoping that their time in this Australian team will help them learn some more and get them ready for the bigger games."​
“Penrith are one of the greatest sides I have ever seen, they are never beaten. The Broncos learnt some harsh lessons, they made a lot of errors in that first half and maybe fatigue got them at the back end. But the Panthers have such a belief in their system and each other that the game is never dead with them."​
“But the Broncos are an exciting developing footy team, they have some fantastic young players, some of whom are in our Australian team. I believe they won’t be scarred by the grand-final loss too much at all.”​

“I am hoping Payne will be a Kangaroo for the rest of his career. That’s the reason why I have selected him. It’s great to have Payne available for us. The Australian team is stronger for his presence. If you want a front-rower, Payne is the perfect model really, he can play big minutes and it’s all quality minutes. It’s inevitable we will lose more guys to the Pacific Nations, but it’s important we keep a talent like Payne in the green-and-gold jumper.”​

Patty concurs:

“I think this Test experience will help us. It’s given our guys like Selwyn and Kotoni another taste of playing big games. Being around the best players in the game will help us take some knowledge back to the Broncos with preparation and performing on the biggest stages. The big-game experience we are getting from these Tests will hold us in good stead at the Broncos next year.”​

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Donuts confirms the club intends to keep Reynolds until 2025, along with Reece and Ezra:

“There’s a genuine thirst to continue to get better — to not sit still and be content with where we are. It’s always a bitter pill to swallow. I’ve been part of six grand finals now – three wins and three on the other side, and I know which one is more fun. But I’ve got every confidence that this group – as disappointed as they were – will learn an incredible amount about themselves from the experience. We set ourselves a goal of making progress across the entire club and without doubt we did that. We’ll keep setting lofty goals. I’m really proud of everyone at the club and how closely connected, passionate and professional they are – and there’s still room to grow.”​
“I haven’t seen any early signs of a mental hangover. We all will learn lessons. When we reflect back on the season holistically, we made great strides as a club and as a team, and I have absolute confidence it will steel this group and motivate them to want to go one better next year. I’m optimistic it will drive everyone at the club."​
"The thing I’ll say ... I was super impressed with our football program’s review process – how honest they were and how positive they were despite the result. If you’re not winning, you’re learning and the guys would have learnt plenty from that experience. Plus, we’re still not sure what the ceiling of this group is. If they needed any more, they’ll have all the motivation required next season.”​
“Managing a cap is an ongoing juggle. I’ve seen a lot of commentary from outside our club about our cap situation and to be frank, they wouldn’t have a clue. We have a really clear plan with our roster."​
"From the moment he arrived, ‘Reyno’ has been an outstanding leader and member of our club, he has exceeded all of our expectations and he’s a professional in the way he manages his body. It’s no secret we’re talking to his management about 2025. Halfbacks of his quality are hard to come by, so we’ll be doing what we can to ensure he’s here. His leadership has been outstanding for our young guys – Reece and Ezra included – they have a really close-knit relationship and he’ll be playing a big role when the time is right in transitioning the stewardship of the team to them."​
"Ezra and Reece are key players for us and we will be doing everything we can to ensure that they are Broncos for a long time to come.”​
“We all know we operate in a salary-cap environment which is important for the game, but unfortunately at different times we’ll see players depart. The players leaving made wonderful contributions to our club, they leave as better players and better people I hope, but their departures allow others to grow and step up. We’re really confident in the depth of the players with have at the club and the culture that exists in football under Kev. There are many plates spinning with regards to the salary cap, but we’re confident in the squad we have for next year.”​
“The progress of the club is the result of the hard work of many, many people. In terms of aspirations, we want to be the undisputed leader in Australian sport on all fronts. We’ve seen huge growth this year, we almost reached 50,000 members for the first time, we saw records crowds at Suncorp. There’s a lot of excitement amongst our member and fan base which is great and we want that, but everyone at the club is focused on working really hard and continuing to improve on the really strong base that we now have.”​
“Kev’s done a wonderful job. He’s proven to be an outstanding NRL head coach. He has brought the football program together and instilled a sense of pride. He’s also encouraged the players to have fun and enjoy their football, which goes a long way in what can be a pretty serious industry that is professional rugby league. It’s no surprise they’re playing an exciting style of footy, Kev was a big part of the entertainers in his heyday and that’s exactly what this current team are about.”​
"Never mind the future, the Dolphins were just as much of a threat this year. We’ll respect them like we do with any of the other teams but I can assure you that the only thing we’re focused on is ourselves. We’re looking forward to more of our ‘Battles’ against them – the first two were incredible spectacles and I’m sure a taste of what’s to come in year two.”​
“No. We don't need another QLD club. Where do you put them?” I think the game is well positioned in Queensland now with four franchises at the top end. We should be looking at how we support the continued growth and health of our game at the grassroots level in this market.”​

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Skyblues87
  • Skathen
  • Xzei
  • MasterWright
  • Porthoz
  • Aldo
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.