2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

Yeah the second one is the Garrick incident last year that the ref stuffed up.

He was put in a dangerous position and I think he ended up with a fracture in his back.

There was talk last year that they might change the rule to have it as tackled in the air... even if the ball has bounced... but they dont need to because the rule is already there about putting a player in a dangerous position.
From what I can gather Annersley isn't talking about new rules, just having the officials give the trainers some guidance about what refs will be looking for this season. The more the officials can help out at training the better in my opinion.

The NRL is also ramping up its focus on concussion protocols. Clubs will have to film every contact training session to determine any potential concussion risks. Plus they'll need more medical staff and concussion spotters and to submit the time players spend doing physical contact and the length of sessions.

Annersley has met with coaches, and sent officials to training, to discuss the forthcoming season:

“Coaches have been pushing the envelope more and more so. So it’s best to reset the standards now in training rather than on the field during matches. These are not rule changes but rather shifts in emphasis. "​
“We are doing a reset, this is not a clamp down. The reason we are doing it now and the reason we have had a meeting with the coaches is we want them to fix these issues in training so that when we get to match day we don’t have to worry about it. There isn’t a blitz. If the coaches prepare their teams on this basis then they won’t have any concerns. It’s not our objective to start and stop the game and blowing penalties all over the field."​
“There has always been a downtown rule but we need to bring attention back to it. Now a player from the kicker’s team cannot advance until the point where the ball goes over their head. They have to stay at least level with the ruck until then. In recent years when they knew their team was going to kick the ball they would tear down the field.”​
The shift in focus includes:

* Removing ruck sleepers who keep the markers out of play​
* No driving your teammate forward like a rugby-maul​
* Relaxing restrictions on deliberate knock-ons​
* Protecting players who jump to retrieve a bouncing ball
* Putting players on notice who lift the leg of an attacker who is already being held up by defenders.​
* Greater emphasis on keeping the 10 metres and ruck compliance​

Good. Enforce the rules as they are written and don't back down from it. Teams will learn eventually and the teams who play by the rules will win by the sheer amount of possession they'll have.

Good. Enforce the rules as they are written and don't back down from it. Teams will learn eventually and the teams who play by the rules will win by the sheer amount of possession they'll have.

They should have persisted years ago with this instead of relenting, IMO. So I'm glad to see this back, but skeptical about how long it will go on for if teams ignore the directives.

They should have persisted years ago with this instead of relenting, IMO. So I'm glad to see this back, but skeptical about how long it will go on for if teams ignore the directives.

Like I said, good in theory but it won't last, none of these things ever do. The average fan will watch a Storm game like years ago where 85 penalties were blown and think YES! FINALLY! Then Phil Gould will have a typical whinge and that's it, back to what some talking idiot who talks over everyone else wants again.

I don’t have a problem with them actually enforcing the rules that already exist (should’ve kept it going years ago). But it won’t last.

In fact, I’m calling it now, there’ll be some controversy in the Vegas games around one of these “crack downs” and the rest of round 1 will be referee’d differently. Just hope it’s not us that gets screwed.

I see Haas has not joined the NSW preseason camp for ‘personal reasons’, any idea what’s going on there? Has he been visible much in preseason training photos?

I see Haas has not joined the NSW preseason camp for ‘personal reasons’, any idea what’s going on there? Has he been visible much in preseason training photos?
Maybe he hates Sydney, but isn't ready to come out of the closet about it.

Maybe he hates Sydney, but isn't ready to come out of the closet about it.
Could hate taking orders from non Adam Reynold named halfbacks. I’d crack the shits to if a bloke with a chin like Nathan was giving me orders.

I don’t have a problem with them actually enforcing the rules that already exist (should’ve kept it going years ago). But it won’t last.

In fact, I’m calling it now, there’ll be some controversy in the Vegas games around one of these “crack downs” and the rest of round 1 will be referee’d differently. Just hope it’s not us that gets screwed.
I’m tipping the Vegas games to be allowed to flow. The game will be confusing enough for the new viewers without any constant stop / start rule over enforcement. It will be as free flowing as possible as it should be.

I’m tipping the Vegas games to be allowed to flow. The game will be confusing enough for the new viewers without any constant stop / start rule over enforcement. It will be as free flowing as possible as it should be.
A few quarterback passes too?

Seen him in training photos but he wasn't in the Tom Brady group photo last week.

Annersley has met with coaches, and sent officials to training, to discuss the forthcoming season:

“Coaches have been pushing the envelope more and more so. So it’s best to reset the standards now in training rather than on the field during matches. These are not rule changes but rather shifts in emphasis. "​
“We are doing a reset, this is not a clamp down. The reason we are doing it now and the reason we have had a meeting with the coaches is we want them to fix these issues in training so that when we get to match day we don’t have to worry about it. There isn’t a blitz. If the coaches prepare their teams on this basis then they won’t have any concerns. It’s not our objective to start and stop the game and blowing penalties all over the field."​
“There has always been a downtown rule but we need to bring attention back to it. Now a player from the kicker’s team cannot advance until the point where the ball goes over their head. They have to stay at least level with the ruck until then. In recent years when they knew their team was going to kick the ball they would tear down the field.”​
The shift in focus includes:

* Removing ruck sleepers who keep the markers out of play​
* No driving your teammate forward like a rugby-maul​
* Relaxing restrictions on deliberate knock-ons​
* Protecting players who jump to retrieve a bouncing ball​
* Putting players on notice who lift the leg of an attacker who is already being held up by defenders.​
* Greater emphasis on keeping the 10 metres and ruck compliance​
I bet the Great Wall of Penrith will still block the markers out on the last tackle to give Nathan a pressure free kick.

Think he looks after his 2 youngest brothers?. See some pics on Insta that makes me think so anyway.

School just starting.

I bet the Great Wall of Penrith will still block the markers out on the last tackle to give Nathan a pressure free kick.

Yeah that's what bugs me. On the surface it looks like they are trying to improve consistency, but we know from experience they don't and haven't. So this is really just a stupid admission that they have been refereeing inconsistently. And, as (most of us) hardcore fans, we've seen those inconsistencies benefit certain teams, over and over again. So do we really believe that these consistent inconsistencies are just lapses that all the refs uniformly fell in to? And that this time they're not only going to enforce the rules, but do so with parity across all teams? I think everyone here knows my answer.

Active Now

• Gaz
  • Xzei
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Waynesaurus
  • Robboi_321
  • Harry Sack
  • Old Mate
  • ostin86
  • theshed
  • bert_lifts
  • LGH
  • Cavalo
  • broncoscope
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • broncsgoat
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncos4life
  • Jedhead
  • Tmac
  • Fitzy
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.