2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

Is it? Whilst I do really want Cobbo to play left centre I have serious reservations about meterage out of our own half. I wouldn’t say it’s better balance at all personally but I do think there is a lot of potential in this backline for a lot cheaper than what we were spending last year.
The best setup for meterage last year would've been Herbie on the wing doing kick returns. I say it's more balanced this year because we've got two skillful centres who can both run and pass. Herbie, although great at centre, always seemed like his best position would've been on the wing.

Tell you what, wasn’t happy about the “it’s a shortened preseason” and “we are a bit restricted” comments from Kev today

If it was such a problem maybe we don’t need to sign up for an international holiday?!

Ever since news about Kurt moving to Warriors broke out, I’m of the belief that our left side with
Oates(?),
Cobbo(?),
Mam &
Piakura would be the go to side for opposing teams. Defensively, we would be vulnerable on that side initially but given time (perhaps post Origin), we would be firm that side too. Hopefully, we control the damage.

I see our 1-22 primed come finals time & we’ll claim our premiership that has been long due.

Ever since news about Kurt moving to Warriors broke out, I’m of the belief that our left side with
Oates(?),
Cobbo(?),
Mam &
Piakura would be the go to side for opposing teams. Defensively, we would be vulnerable on that side initially but given time (perhaps post Origin), we would be firm that side too. Hopefully, we control the damage.

I see our 1-22 primed come finals time & we’ll claim our premiership that has been long due.
I think both oates and mam are great defensively. Piakura needs to be better in dicipline but is a great tackler otherwise. Oates might be caught out in speed but was fine last year before injury. Mam though doesnt have a lot wrong, other than maybe size at the line but thats every half nowadays. If mariner comes in he might be lacking in defense like you say and cobbo might be prone to errors (in mariners case inexperience and in cobbo's case trying too hsrd to "make things happen").
For mine both cobbo and staggs are pretty much identical in their attributes as centres, though of course staggs has been playing there a while now.
Its a shame hodges is working with the dolphins. He could of helped both of them out.
Meninga having a few sessions with cobbo would be nice too, just to unleash his potential there.
Anyway im not complaining. However you look at it, its still a hell of a backline.

Tell you what, wasn’t happy about the “it’s a shortened preseason” and “we are a bit restricted” comments from Kev today

If it was such a problem maybe we don’t need to sign up for an international holiday?!

It's not that end that shortened it it's the other end, they made the Grand Final, they had Kangaroo commitments, and you have to have six weeks off from your last game.

23 season went a month longer for the Broncos.

Oates(?),
Cobbo(?),
Mam &

Cobbo and Piakura will be the keys to defence on the left.

Piakura definitely needs to improve in that department, but hopefully the full preseason can help with that... if not then it's not like we've got any alternative options as he'll be playing for NZ this year.

For Cobbo he has played center a few times already in his rookie year and he was quite strong defensively and with his decision making... let's not forget the game he completely shut down Bradman Best. Communication could be an issue with him, and also any 'bad' habits he may have picked up being outside Staggs for a couple years now... who doesn't have the greatest decision making when it comes to defence.

I think there's plenty to work from with Cobbo, if that base from his rookie year is still there, so it will be up to the coaching staff to get that working.

Piakura definitely needs to improve in that department, but hopefully the full preseason can help with that... if not then it's not like we've got any alternative options as he'll be playing for NZ this year.

For Cobbo he has played center a few times already in his rookie year and he was quite strong defensively and with his decision making... let's not forget the game he completely shut down Bradman Best. Communication could be an issue with him, and also any 'bad' habits he may have picked up being outside Staggs for a couple years now... who doesn't have the greatest decision making when it comes to defence.

I think there's plenty to work from with Cobbo, if that base from his rookie year is still there, so it will be up to the coaching staff to get that working.
I concur with you. For mine — if all of them 4 do end up playing on the left from the get go, then communication, commitment & trusting the guy next to them plays a vital role in how all of them gel together. For that to happen, it takes time & I’m positive that it all pans out much better than our left side last year.

That's the big thing for him, his huge lack of inexperience in the position. Four NRL games in 2021 and before those seven games for the Falcons Meninga in 2019- throw in a PM's game too in the centres.

It's not a lot in a key defensive position. You're right his defence was a a bit better in those four games than I thought it was going to be but the problem is going to be fatigue as the season goes on and decision making.

Roosters, he goes to third marker and then gets called out, moves back to the line but Tedesco is onto it where he should have been.

Walker runs at his inside shoulder Cobbo was confused and tried to double defend but Walker just goes straight through giving up his inside shoulder.

Warriors- Facing in instead of square. It's no try but he got beaten badly.

Sharks- Comes up too far- Sharks no try but they went though on his watch. This was his best defensive game in the centres.

Newcastle- If he misses the intercept, they have three knights against one Bronco outside him.

Best beats him and then steps back inside and beats him again, Cobbo didn't keep coming and close the gap inside. Just stopped.

How good is Kevy. I think Vegas will be a great experience for our young lads. Not only going to train in NFL facilities with other world class athletes, but also to be motivated by a massive spectacle and to be part of history in the NRL. The players will all be chomping at the chance to rip into the Roosters.

It's not that end that shortened it it's the other end, they made the Grand Final, they had Kangaroo commitments, and you have to have six weeks off from your last game.

23 season went a month longer for the Broncos.
Thanks for the clarification! Makes more sense!

IMG 20240109 123822

Well, it's been real, but I'm out. Thanks for the memories, boys. I guess I'm a Dolphins fan now.

Active Now

• Mighty Bronx
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Organix
  • Jedhead
  • Spike
  • Rowdy124
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.