2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

We already have the best spine.

But yea, I really hope this kid lives up to the hype. Got some skills there 👌
2025 will be interesting: Penrith will be without Luai, and for some reason we've yet to formally extend Reynolds, but it should be his swansong.

Watching this final piece in the jigsaw puzzle to drop, I can't help but but feel our spine is going to be the best in the business come the grand final. Imagine this with Mam outside. Also watch for Ben Te Kura:

What I like is he looks a natural hooker, not a converted half. He grabs the ball and goes, doesn't hesitate. It's like he has the plan before he gets the ball. That takes some good vision and reading of the game.

Then again that was from watching his highlights package. I'm sure he isn't always like that.

What I like is he looks a natural hooker, not a converted half. He grabs the ball and goes, doesn't hesitate. It's like he has the plan before he gets the ball. That takes some good vision and reading of the game.

Then again that was from watching his highlights package. I'm sure he isn't always like that.
It's a damn good highlights package for a dummy half, I'll say that much. I love what I see from him in attack. He's been training against our firsts for long enough that Kevvie must have a feel for whether he's ready. Or at least, how he compares to Smoothy and Paix.

It isn't just the head gear but watching Mozer...three's a lot of Ponga in the way he runs.
He's taken a couple of leaves out of Harry Grant's playbook too.

2025 will be interesting: Penrith will be without Luai, and for some reason we've yet to formally extend Reynolds, but it should be his swansong.
Well when I was at this function last year Reynolds is keen for a contract for 2025

I didn't realise just how quick & elusive he is straight off the mark. As you said, he grabs the ball & is fucking gone!
With the amount of classy support play Broncos have been playing lately.... Wow!

View attachment 25738
View attachment 25739

Kevvie:

"Most people are tall for me, but Ben Te Kura's exceptional. He’s another good young talent of ours. He’s come back in pretty good shape and he’s still growing into his body. Some of the skills he’s shown … I particularly liked the way he played last year in the New Zealand A game. I thought he was very good there. There’s big expectations for him to just come through in his development pathway. We expect him to be playing some NRL at some stage this season. We expect Ben to come through this year and play some NRL. He will start in the Queensland Cup and work his way through.”​
“We’re looking at everyone in the squad. We had three guys sit out last year’s grand final in Xavier, Corey Jensen and Marty Taupau. They’re going to put themselves in the frame in the next six weeks and into round one. There’s plenty of competition for spots. We encourage our younger players to come through and work hard and learn from guys like Patty and Payne.”​
Ballard:

“Jesse has sprained his ankle yesterday at training. We will aim to have him back in action for the trial against the Cowboys in Mackay.”​
"Jordan Riki is also on the comeback from shoulder surgery and targeting a round 1 return."​
"Fletcher Baker has been sidelined after groin surgery. He has been on restricted duties and is pushing to make an appearance in the trials."​
bit of GST in this story. 1910 said earlier this week that he’s just over 100kg

Players who are NEVER coming back to the Broncos under ANY circumstances:

Lodge
TPJ
Milford
Ropati
Niu
Bird (for his own sanity)
Coates
Kennedy
Barba
Hopoate (anyone with that surname)
Turpin (?)
Segyaro

Players who MAYBE MIGHT given the right circumstances:

Herbie
Flegler
Hunt
Fifita
Dearden
Martin
Croft
Isaako (!)
Bullemor (?)
What about Seibs?

Well when I was at this function last year Reynolds is keen for a contract for 2025
He's been telling anyone who'll listen that - and also about wanting to coach - but the club is yet to comment.

What about Seibs?

As a segue, I am interested to see how that team goes this year. It is a strong looking side on paper and should be contenders but can they achieve their potential with that idiot steering the sinking ship?

If they don't do well this year, it makes you wonder what the means for them moving forward. They lost the Fainu brothers with no fight whatsoever and DCE has to be thinking about retirement. Once he goes, that side goes from being contenders immediately if TTurbo has lost his TTurboness, which certainly looked the case even before he did his shoulder last season.

As a segue, I am interested to see how that team goes this year. It is a strong looking side on paper and should be contenders but can they achieve their potential with that idiot steering the sinking ship?

If they don't do well this year, it makes you wonder what the means for them moving forward. They lost the Fainu brothers with no fight whatsoever and DCE has to be thinking about retirement. Once he goes, that side goes from being contenders immediately if TTurbo has lost his TTurboness, which certainly looked the case even before he did his shoulder last season.
As long as Seibs is there, they ain't winning anything. Was listening to the Telegraph NRL podcast the other day, and it's crazy how some people are predicting that they'll be making the grand final.

As long as Seibs is there, they ain't winning anything. Was listening to the Telegraph NRL podcast the other day, and it's crazy how some people are predicting that they'll be making the grand final.
Preseason predictions are never worth dick:

Anthony Seibold and Matt Lodge: what could go wrong?

I guess, but it's going to be pretty hard to break into this Broncos team, in any position. The only position that's clearly up for grabs is halfback, and that's 2 seasons away. He would've seen the club bring in Madden, with Mam in front of him at 6.

Mariner and Palasia evidently saw the same thing. We have some serious firepower in the junior forwards ranks. Haas, Carrigan, Piakura, Riki, Willison and Te Kura is a monster pack. We'll do well to keep them all. I'm guessing the club told Mariner that Herbie was leaving giving him at least a window to look towards.
Leaving is one thing. Herbie, flegler and palasia have all done it, but they didnt slag off the coach and club management along the way. After all, some of the peole you just antagonised might be a future coach/football manager or team mates, and he spread his venom pretty wide here.
I also think if he was half as good as he thinks he is, he could have bagged a bench spot at least, and used it to promote his abilities to other clubs, if nothing else. I also think mam was no certainty to become the full time 5/8 when he left.
Hopefully he learns from it, but if nothing else, it serves as a good example to young players of the difference between being a "potential" star and an actual first grader.
For all the promise, it means nothing until youve made onto the field.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.