2024 State of Origin - Game I Discussion

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
he is furious about that hit ... he's leaving absolutely no doubt about it, despite refusing to answer questions both during the game and at the presser
Nah I feel like he should've gone harder... he laughed off right at the end... Reece is one of his attacking weapons and as soon as he lost him he had to go down to the sideline to give Hammer directions.

Jamming in recklessly and taking out fullbacks ... who are pretty consistently the primary attacking threat for teams... has to be stamped out.

Go for your life if you hit them in the ribs, but if you want to jam in and you make contact to the head ... especially when the pass is already gone ... you should be fucking punished hard
Exactly.. weak as piss from billy in that presser. Only a rookie and still learning I guess but needed to ice that opportunity for his star player to get some protection in his next game.

Broncosgirl

Broncosgirl

Deep in the Heart of Queensland
Contributor
Nov 9, 2022
Was planned, he wont be in NRL after this season, so he is used as a hitman.
Yes, exactly what I was going to say. nsw couldn't give two flying ***** about sualii. He is off to union .. so he is expendable. They were prepared to cop 10 minutes in bin for wiping out Walshy .. but were instead shocked when it was a send off.

They were just not prepared, or had planned for the ref to do the right thing ..

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
there’s normally 3 good games of league a year..: last night was butchered by that horrendous send off.

Good to see a carve up but prefer to do it against 13

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Hilight of the match for me when Coates stopped that 40/20 in spectacular fashion and 2 minutes later DCE nailed one perfectly.

Was a real typical QLD dominance moment.

Most Excellent Yes GIF by Atlanta

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
wow i think i have heard it all fatty actually defending the blues at origin time?

i know the send of has ruined the spectacle but **** me what choice did the ref have.
Fatty is completely cooked these days. He is a prime example of someone ruining their legacy.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
Exactly.. weak as piss from billy in that presser. Only a rookie and still learning I guess but needed to ice that opportunity for his star player to get some protection in his next game.
Disagree, i think he handled it perfectly, with class and with obvious anger and distaste at the tactic without succumbing to the journalist bait.

Everyone who saw the opening 8 minutes knows exactly what was happening with three late hits in three touches of the ball and there is enough outside press on the lead up to the game and the tactics to shut Walsh down that anyone with half a brain knows this was a hit-job that went spectacularly wrong.
The thing is, there is a lot of people ( most i would think ) who believe the game was ruined in the 8th minute because of that tactic and Vlandys and his cronies will not like that at all.
The games biggest superstar gets wiped out on the games biggest stage, with the eyes of a million kids and footy mums watching thuggery at its worst and basically shining a terrible light on the game as well as taking the excitement out of the whole affair.

After sleeping on it, i wouldn't be surprised to see the NRL make an example of Sua li'i, he is off to union anyway and they absolutely have to try and squash this tactic of injuring star playmakers to impact the game. (thanks Penrith).

Billy made it perfectly clear he was angry about what happened and he handled it like a boss (just my opinion).

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
Hilight of the match for me when Coates stopped that 40/20 in spectacular fashion and 2 minutes later DCE nailed one perfectly.

Was a real typical QLD dominance moment.

Most Excellent Yes GIF by Atlanta
Jeez it sickens me to my stomach to say this, but Coates was excellent tonight.
He had one error but was dangerous and skillfull everywhere else all game.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
This comment is telling.

Jake Trbojevic​

"It was a tough night, not too much went to plan. "It was a tough one, I didn't expect him to get sent off because of the enormity of the game.

They were coached to do this.
"Smash Walsh as hard as you can and be dirty fucking grubs about it because its Origin and no one gets sent off in Origin.
If we can wipe him out of the game, its worth the 10 minute binning."

Michael Maguire​

"I think earlier on in the year, he [Walsh] ended up with a broken jaw and there was no send off. It's a big call at this level - he was falling. It's a massive call for a game like this.

"I'd imagine he [Suaalii] has got a fair bit of emotion rolling around at the moment - but we get around him, that's what we do ... we now look after our own. You never plan for having a bloke off - it was a line call, honestly. It's disappointing to see him get sent off."

Backfired because Klein did the right thing regardless of the stage they are on.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
Sua li'i was as reckless as you can get.
He jumped, lead with the shoulder on an obviously lowering opponent. ZERO duty of care and no control over the tackle at all.
At best it was dangerously reckless, at worst maliciously deliberate.
Heaven forbid someone tackles hard

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
Forget Suaalii for a second, I was livid over the Leniu HIA.

He had hands on hips as early as the second minute of the second half, he's doing the bare minimum for the team and when his halfback wants him to run he hands it off to Angus completely ruining the set-up. One legs tackle on Cobbo and that was enough to get an HIA?
Don't forget his milking for a hip drop. Hips come nowhere near his lower legs. Carries on like a **** stick and stays down for an eternity after the tackle but jumps straight to his feet when he knows nothing will come of it and takes another run two tackles later. Glad they called play the ball for that one.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
Heaven forbid someone tackles hard
Cmon man, there were plenty of hard tackles that didn't involve recklessly knocking a guy out with a dangerous tackle and head contact.

You are also not acknowledging that the Sua li'i hit was late, and if thats the standard, then lets just smash every small guy who offloads with a late high shot and wipe them all out of the game.

I was on the live reddit for this game and there wasn't a single NSW supporter who thought the send off was the wrong call.
Even Freddy thought it was the right call and poor Fatty with his CTE opinion doesn't count for much.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Cmon man, there were plenty of hard tackles that didn't involve recklessly knocking a guy out with a dangerous tackle and head contact.

You are also not acknowledging that the Sua li'i hit was late, and if thats the standard, then lets just smash every small guy who offloads with a late high shot and wipe them all out of the game.

I was on the live reddit for this game and there wasn't a single NSW supporter who thought the send off was the wrong call.
Even Freddy thought it was the right call and poor Fatty with his CTE opinion doesn't count for much.

Don't feed him mate.

Unread

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.