22/23 Off season - what must be done?

Acknowledge how hard it is to find a professional 9 and how difficult to develop- taking years and years...........

Maybe we could convert a 23 year old centre who played a few games of second row to be a 9.

Makes sense.
How hard it is for us, perhaps…

Most NRL clubs up the top of the table, surprisingly have no such trouble…

Storm have even had more quality hookers than they can even play for the last few years and we run Jake “can’t even attract another NRL offer” Turpin as our no.1 starting hooker, for YEARS…

We desperately need a hooker. Our two hookers at the moment are a guy that no NRL team wants to sign for next year, and the coach's son who is in a similar boat. It is pointless having strong forwards if we have no one to take advantage of it, and Reynolds won't last much longer if he is the only point of attack that teams are going to continue to target and hit late every time. Look at how the Storm overwhelmed us with Munster, Grant, Smith, Hughes all together last week and compare that to what we offer up in attack.

Last year when Ikin and Donaghy came in they went to work making some ruthless decisions on the playing roster (some that should've been made years ago) but it concerned me that they said a few months ago that there'll be minimal purchases for the squad next year outside of Walsh coming in. The overhaul of the roster is only half done and there are clearly some more ruthless decisions that need to be made (e.g. offloading Haas if it means we can get a decent hooker). I hope the past month of performances gives them the courage and focus to continue down that path.

We desperately need a hooker. Our two hookers at the moment are a guy that no NRL team wants to sign for next year, and the coach's son who is in a similar boat. It is pointless having strong forwards if we have no one to take advantage of it, and Reynolds won't last much longer if he is the only point of attack that teams are going to continue to target and hit late every time. Look at how the Storm overwhelmed us with Munster, Grant, Smith, Hughes all together last week and compare that to what we offer up in attack.

Last year when Ikin and Donaghy came in they went to work making some ruthless decisions on the playing roster (some that should've been made years ago) but it concerned me that they said a few months ago that there'll be minimal purchases for the squad next year outside of Walsh coming in. The overhaul of the roster is only half done and there are clearly some more ruthless decisions that need to be made (e.g. offloading Haas if it means we can get a decent hooker). I hope the past month of performances gives them the courage and focus to continue down that path.
Can’t give them credit for getting Walsh he fell into our lap.

Berro played nearly every position on the field .
He played half , 5 /8 , Centre ,and hooker . Lock as well ?

If we got rid of Kevvie do we not look at what’s he’s brought back into the club, it’s a clear sight that he’s brought the culture back into the club, he’s brought back some old boys around the club as well, that’s helped the young boys. I just fear that we will loose that again if we get rid of him?
Where has that so-called culture got us lately?

How hard it is for us, perhaps…

Most NRL clubs up the top of the table, surprisingly have no such trouble…

Storm have even had more quality hookers than they can even play for the last few years and we run Jake “can’t even attract another NRL offer” Turpin as our no.1 starting hooker, for YEARS…
Our two best hookers are Melbourne rejects.

Seibold 2020:
- 17 losses , 1 win after covid break, 2 win to start that season
- loosing players who don’t want to play under him
- Trying to say that the old boys can’t be around the club anymore because he thought it would be a negative impact(Bullshit)
- playing stupied music at training
- First ever wooden spoon
- news corps all over us everyday of the week
- one thousand multiple injuries during the year during training sessions which id put down to the way we were getting trained
- players getting into trouble off field
- Nearly loosing langer
Etc….

kevvie 2022:
13 wins, 10 losses , 1 deciding
- Brought some old boys heads around the club
- key signing of Reynolds, who has been a big help in the halves and leadership even though some are complaining about him.
- capes, Reynolds being big help and calm headed around the boys
- Some big re-signings
- Oates resurgence playing his best footy of his career
- Cobbo outstanding year
- Ezra Mam Stella debut year
- Carrigan Wally Lewis medal , playing incredible footy.
Etc.

So yes, I do reckon he has brought culture back into the club. If you don’t think so you have rocks in your head. Sorry. Don’t let the last month or so put you off what he’s done.

Have to address the spine issue as best possible. The pipeline is just not working like the Roosters/Storm system.. why is that? The Storm can't fit all of their spine talent and depth on the team bus and which of our spine players would make their 17!? Yet.. the Storm still manage to sign players that teams like the Broncos want to keep.

Also need to get serious about the data analysis, can't be good enough to think that a stats monster like Haas is actually as good as all the commonly quoted stats say... you need to be collecting your own data and identifying how that can give you an edge.. Remember when the Storm signed Nick Meaney from the wooden spooners? That turned out ok... that's someone working with an edge in talent identification I would guess.

Signing Arey was a reasonable move I think, even though he's looking in danger of playing 1-2 seasons too long.. Also I'm coming around to the Walsh signing as I think you just need to stack your team with spine talent and manage around that. Spending 1M on lunkhead forwards is a recipe to make a Titan's result and not a Storm one.

Those are long term projects.. the low hanging fruit would be to honestly identify the culture problems (problem players) still in the team because 50+ score lines mean you need to be sacking some players or the coach. Haven't been able to watch a Broncs game since that horrible effort they delivered against the Knights, I knew after watching that they may not win another game this season as that was dreadful.

Actually train to win the ruck. Utilize every technique to use elbows and knees to crawl forward.

There is close to zero punishment for stepping forward off the mark to play the ball. Keep pushing the limits.

Hit harder in defense and prepare to give away penalties and aim for hard try line defense that basically includes offsides every other play.

Basically all the stuff Melbourne do well.

Get penalized for trying to break the rules, so may as well push the limits and defend penalties anyway.

Actually train to win the ruck. Utilize every technique to use elbows and knees to crawl forward.

There is close to zero punishment for stepping forward off the mark to play the ball. Keep pushing the limits.

Hit harder in defense and prepare to give away penalties and aim for hard try line defense that basically includes offsides every other play.

Basically all the stuff Melbourne do well.

Get penalized for trying to break the rules, so may as well push the limits and defend penalties anyway.

doesn't work if you're not Melbourne or one of the other favoured teams

I'm not sure a lot of the current squad are actually smart enough.

They all might be physically capable 'footballers' but not many of them when they are on the field give the impression that they really think about their game/role or what's in front of them.

That's on the coaching. Coaching is about getting that out of your players.

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Johnny92
  • Skathen
  • Morkel
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • Tim K
  • Aldo
  • Broncorob
  • Fatboy
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • bert_lifts
  • Justwin
  • Stix
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • whykickamoocow
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.