OFFICIAL A day with Seibs

Tend to agree: it's nice to see Seibs putting the hours in, and not making light of the absolute pasting that was the culimation of his recent efforts, but I have no idea how to judge the relative effectiveness of his preseason methodology. Maybe I'm too old fashioned but I like to see the human side. I grew to appreciate Bennett's wagon circle approach, so this clinical schoolteacher droning on with jargon vibe is still a bit jarring.

On top of that, the recurring theme of criticism last season was Seibold waffling about stats that never translated to the paddock, instead of spotting a pair of plodders like Macca and Darius and punting them back to the QLD Cup. He did eventually appear to catch on but only after every commentator had been bagging him about the obvious for weeks.

Snide comments and side smiles seemed to work really well when you have a team full of some of the best players in the game, hasn’t been so successful more recently.

Snide comments and side smiles seemed to work really well when you have a team full of some of the best players in the game, hasn’t been so successful more recently.
Who are you talking about?

Looks like they all want to get home from a sterile and tedious High School class.
+ Milf being their highest paid player in the team, and their no. 1 play maker, not being in the 'leadership' group is a bit of a worry, and possibly suggests he is on the outer..
Nope

Set plays, depth, and attacking structure are great and all, but worthless if you can't defend.

You just don't put an attacking play out of nowhere. You need the opposition to be fatigued or off-kilter before you bother with a set play, otherwise you'll just end up going sideways or pushing forced passes, defensive structures are too good when not stretched. We may have had the best structures in the game but we had zero opportunities to use them in games like the Eels' final.

Hence why we went to "boring one-out" plays. It's through the forwards that you have to wrestle back momentum and try to force fatigue. That's made even harder when you're dropping the ball and being forced to defend too much yourself.

If Seibold hasn't spent 80% of the match-specific training on defence, we're in for another long year.

If Seibold hasn't spent 80% of the match-specific training on defence, we're in for another long year.
I can't agree with that.

Sure, our defence needs improvement: we ended the season with a negative points differential. But it wasn't until the final that it was really exposed. Up until then, it was our attack that was the laughing stock of the competition. It got progressively worse when we lost Dearden and Macca returned. And then in final, we couldn't score a single point against the Eels, even when we had field position.

Our best tries were individual efforts from Fifita and Haas. Maybe one of Milford's regulation bombs amounted to something but I don't recall it. The best attacking kick of the season came from Turpin, of all people, to put Coates away.

If our spine can't convert the fabulous field position our forwards keep winning, Seibold is gone before the season's over.

Set plays, depth, and attacking structure are great and all, but worthless if you can't defend.

You just don't put an attacking play out of nowhere. You need the opposition to be fatigued or off-kilter before you bother with a set play, otherwise you'll just end up going sideways or pushing forced passes, defensive structures are too good when not stretched. We may have had the best structures in the game but we had zero opportunities to use them in games like the Eels' final.

Hence why we went to "boring one-out" plays. It's through the forwards that you have to wrestle back momentum and try to force fatigue. That's made even harder when you're dropping the ball and being forced to defend too much yourself.

I don't know about 80% but Siebold was going on a few times about winning without the ball so there's obviously some focus on our defence. Although I seem to recall win without the ball being one of his themes last year too.

There was a bit in the video about that. Winning without the ball, so it's clear, he's pushing that.

I think the main thing we need to focus on before anything is holding the ball and completing our sets. We were atrocious at it last year. You cant win games of footy if you cant do the basics.

I can't agree with that.

Sure, our defence needs improvement: we ended the season with a negative points differential. But it wasn't until the final that it was really exposed. Up until then, it was our attack that was the laughing stock of the competition. It got progressively worse when we lost Dearden and Macca returned. And then in final, we couldn't score a single point against the Eels, even when we had field position.

Our best tries were individual efforts from Fifita and Haas. Maybe one of Milford's regulation bombs amounted to something but I don't recall it. The best attacking kick of the season came from Turpin, of all people, to put Coates away.

If our spine can't convert the fabulous field position our forwards keep winning, Seibold is gone before the season's over.

Field position, again, isn't everything. That's why the Roosters pioneered giving away deliberate penalties (thus field position) in order to have a set defensive line and have a breather.

I agree though about holding the ball. I posted a spreadsheet mid last year about completion rates and possession, and IIRC in all but 2 of those games, the team with the highest completion rate won the game. And in one of those two that didnt follow that path, the winning team had lower completion but higher possession (ie, they had considerably more sets, even if they made a few errors). The last game was against the Storm.

I think the main thing we need to focus on before anything is holding the ball and completing our sets. We were atrocious at it last year. You cant win games of footy if you cant do the basics.
Field position, again, isn't everything. That's why the Roosters pioneered giving away deliberate penalties (thus field position) in order to have a set defensive line and have a breather.

I agree though about holding the ball. I posted a spreadsheet mid last year about completion rates and possession, and IIRC in all but 2 of those games, the team with the highest completion rate won the game. And in one of those two that didnt follow that path, the winning team had lower completion but higher possession (ie, they had considerably more sets, even if they made a few errors). The last game was against the Storm.
Even better: holding the ball while crossing the try line.

what’s your point?
My point is your comment didn't make sense on any level. Bennett has beaten Seibold 4-0 to date and the players clearly love him.

Last edited:
These are the names in order from the board in the video.

Halves
Croft
Milford
Dearden
Paix
Bird
O'Sullivan

Centres
Boyd
Bird
Perese
Staggs
Unknown

Hookers
Turpin
McCullough
Paix
Unknown (really long name?)

Edge
Glenn
Pangai Jnr (Im pretty sure as there is 2 words)
Fifita
Hopoate
Palasia

Middles
Haas
Lodge
the rest were blurry.
I've been saying it.

Staggs 14

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Redux
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Porthoz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
  • Bish
  • NSW stables
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Behold
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Skathen
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.