Andrew McCullough - The Great Enigma

His last two performances have been promising, let's hope he can build on them.

I think he is another victim of poor selection, Hook just doesn't seem to be able to put the pieces together that the club has.It's no coincidence that Macca is finding form since Hunt has been moved to the 7.

Keeping Norman in mind, I still believe our best halves combination would have been Norman/Hunt if given time and it would have won us a premiership.

1. Hoffman
2. Kahu
3. Copely
4. Hodges
5. Yow Yeh
6. Norman
7. Hunt
9. Macca

When fit that backline is youthful (Hodges excluded) and talented but poor selection and lack of faith kills it.

Was going to say Norrie and Hinchcliffe, genuinely surprised they havn't played as much footy as I thought. Then there's people like Inu, Galuvao etc etc, could probably find more if I kept searching.

Was going to say Norrie and Hinchcliffe, genuinely surprised they havn't played as much footy as I thought. Then there's people like Inu, Galuvao etc etc, could probably find more if I kept searching.

Fair enough, I just don't think there are that many that play about 6 seasons of first grade and then suddenly burst into form or become the best player for the club in their position for the last 25 years.

Inu got picked for nz after bugger all games and he had some gun games for parra in his first couple of seasons. His current form for dogs is no surprise to most.
galuvao was a gun for the panthers and selected for nz before he played 100 games. Again no improvement, just kept form he showed in his first few seasons. He also moved positions to back row which suited his game

Inu was selected after playing if none or maybe one first grade game I thought? He turned fairly rubbish for a while with most doubting he'd be successful again.

Inu was selected after playing if none or maybe one first grade game I thought? He turned fairly rubbish for a while with most doubting he'd be successful again.

Yeah, he died at the warriors kemp style but fact is he had already shown in his first few seasons at parra. He played no better at dogs than he did at parra in his first 50 games which supports my point :)

I hope you are right but I have personally not seen anything to suggest he would be better than Kerrod Walters or Luke priddis, or even conescue.

mate, I'd even throw Michael Ennis in there!

Huge statement from Big Pete .......

Care to be more specific?
im genuinely curious

Fair enough, I just don't think there are that many that play about 6 seasons of first grade and then suddenly burst into form or become the best player for the club in their position for the last 25 years.

Corey Parker would be a good example ........playing better in his last 2 seasons that he ever has IMO

Last edited:
There are a lot of players that play great with different players in different positions and under new coaches. It's more than about the number of games you play.

There are a lot of players that play great with different players in different positions and under new coaches. It's more than about the number of games you play.

Mccullogh ain't changing positions so that's not even an issue.

meh, I'll stick to my opinion that there are not too many players that turn their careers around after almost 120 games but I've had my say on the issue so happy to leave it at that

mate, I'd even throw Michael Ennis in there!

Huge statement from Big Pete .......

Absolutely but I don't think I'm basing it on thin air - the club views it that way too.

Dummy half is one of the toughest positions to develop in. The likes of Ennis, Ballin etc. didn't hit their stride until their mid 20s - Macca has been a consistent member since he was 19. Complacency has been his biggest issue. There has been times where he's looked a million bucks, then there are times where he's looked as weak as the old Zimbabwe dollar.

Next year will be crucial.

Mccullogh ain't changing positions so that's not even an issue.

meh, I'll stick to my opinion that there are not too many players that turn their careers around after almost 120 games but I've had my say on the issue so happy to leave it at that

I wasn't talking about McCullough changing positions. It's no surprise that McCullough looks better with Hunt in the halves.

Absolutely but I don't think I'm basing it on thin air - the club views it that way too.

Dummy half is one of the toughest positions to develop in. The likes of Ennis, Ballin etc. didn't hit their stride until their mid 20s - Macca has been a consistent member since he was 19. Complacency has been his biggest issue. There has been times where he's looked a million bucks, then there are times where he's looked as weak as the old Zimbabwe dollar.

Next year will be crucial.
Macca had his best season in 2011, and even that consisted of only about 4 stand out games. Prior to and post 2011 he has just plodded along with a predictable dummy from dummy half which everyone reads.

He is trying hard but he is just one of those players with a limited amount of skill, his "good" games that he has played for Brisbane are the best he will ever get. Skill and ability is something you can work on but natural talent you either have or do not have, he does not have it.

He is simply a mediocre hooker who will just plod along then next few years as he is, to suggest he will all of a sudden become a talented stand-out hooker is just simply wishful thinking.

He is trying hard but he is just one of those players with a limited amount of skill, his "good" games that he has played for Brisbane are the best he will ever get. Skill and ability is something you can work on but natural talent you either have or do not have, he does not have it.

I don't think McCullough's problem is entirely that he only has a limited amount of skill. I think he'd improve quite a lot if Hook just got on his case and told him to distribute the ball a bit quicker. He is too intent on engaging the markers at every opportunity when often he would be better to just play a bit faster.

This.

Under Henjak and Griffin, the whole team has progressively stagnated. At least the team was fit and stagnant under Henjak.

Since Lockyer retired, Hodges has been trying to do it on his own with some success - meaning he has tried to add some variety and oooomph.

I am hoping that Hunt's (potential) epiphany that he IS actually a very good player ... as a half adds some further variety and oooomph.

That will mean Hunt and Hodges going against the tide, the tide being a game plan which, as I say again, shows its effectiveness by where we are on the ladder.

When the Broncos do great things, which they have over the last 2 years, it's like almost in spite of the game plan.

I just hope that with the relative raft of positional changes Hook has been forced to make recently, Hook also has an epiphany and realizes that restricting any creativity to the opposition's red zone is insufficient.

Last edited:
Bit off topic, but I thought Granville had a good game today.

Active Now

• theshed
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Justwin
  • Nerd
  • whykickamoocow
  • TimWhatley
  • Sproj
  • porouian
  • Pablo
  • Morkel
  • ezpz
  • Waynesaurus
  • Wolfie
  • heartly87
  • Broncosgirl
  • Manifesto
  • Totally Unr3al
  • bb_gun
  • Mr Fourex
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.