Andrew McCullough - The Great Enigma

Again, just because he used to play in the halves doesn't mean he should revert back to that position.

Should Cam Smith, Robbie Farah & Michael Ennis do the same?

It's an unnecessary experiment, right up there with Reed to fullback.

I just watched the Knights match replay.

Expansive game? Not quite. It's still based around one out stuff x 4 then kick, until we are close to their line.

Watching Manly as just one example, they throw the ball wide in all 3rds of the field.

We are so predictable, and Macca's main role is to promote the one-outs. Maybe he's gone brain dead, overwhelmed by the versatility and creativeness of our game plan

I was comparing our last 2 games to our previous rest of the season not Manly. We have been far more willing to put together a few offloads and try a few things in the last 2 weeks.

Again, just because he used to play in the halves doesn't mean he should revert back to that position.

Should Cam Smith, Robbie Farah & Michael Ennis do the same?

It's an unnecessary experiment, right up there with Reed to fullback.

I don't get the Macca to six thingy some keep trotting out, I haven't seen anything which would suggest he could make a go of it.

Really???? That's it then lets throw him in there with that pedigree.

Macca did not play as a five eigth in the 08 NYC GF.

He played at dummy half and was one of the best on-field.

Yeah just doubled checked and he was hooker..coulda sworn he was FE that year..

Sa'll good Grimmiq. It's just that NYC misconceptions see players like Corey Norman and Dunamis Lui receive an extended go. :laugh:

Ok

So I have been reaing lots in these forums that Macca (with Hunt) were both halves turned into hookers ... well, tried to at least

So, Macca was never originally a half, and if he was, he was so slow he was moved to hooker (that logic still escapes me )

Then why say Macca was a half turned hooker when he wasn't?

He has a couple of decent games every now and then, but for the most part he's ordinary. I hope we find someone new and better soon.

I guess I'm impaled on the fence more than just sitting on it when it comes to McCullough. It's uncomfortable. One week I think he looks OK...the next week he's a nuffy

Too inconsistent....

I'd say he's probably got one more year to show us if he can make it, if he doesn't ....then we'll have to be exploring other options.

Because it was 5-6 years ago and my memory is hazy.

I didn't mean you in particular btw ... I'm just curious about what people think about our Macca, the slowest half, sorry, hooker, in the west

It's pretty simple really.

At the junior level, Macca had the skill set to play five eigth. However, as he came closer to first grade it became apparent that his future did not lie in that position due to a number of factors so he was transformed into a dummy half where he excelled.

The problem with McCullough this year is that he's stagnated. It's not the end of the world just yet but he does require a rocket because honestly he has the talent to make a great #9 and be the best #9 in club history.

His last two performances have been promising, let's hope he can build on them.

Totally agree Big Pete...a couple of years ago I was thinking Macca could be another Cam Smith if he worked hard. He was strong, had a good footy head, backed himself and played what was in front of him, pushed the forwards around the paddock, had a pretty good kick...he seemed to have it all. BUT - he did strike me as a bit of a lazy player, not to the extent of Dave Taylor, say, but it was something he needed to get slapped out of him.

So what happened? He's essentially playing like a robot, short of a couple of sparks the last 2 weeks. Is it a coaching issue? Gameplan? Confidence?? We've got young guys who can read footy and play what's in front of them in Hunt and Macca, yet continue to play such a structured bloody game that is NOT working..."frustrated" doesn't even come close to how I feel about it...

Whatever it is, I hope Macca snaps out of it very soon because I still think that with work, he can be one of the best all-round hookers in the game. Granted, he doesn't have the speed of a Segeyaro or Srama but he brings more in defence and his kicking game set him apart. I'd love to see him get to his full potential. IMO it all comes back to the coaching staff being out of their league...

The problem with McCullough this year is that he's stagnated. It's not the end of the world just yet but he does require a rocket because honestly he has the talent to make a great #9 and be the best #9 in club history.

I hope you are right but I have personally not seen anything to suggest he would be better than Kerrod Walters or Luke priddis, or even conescue.

defensively he puts up good stats which are hard to argue with when people decide that stats are useful to suit their argument but offensively I think he struggles. I'm sure has has a good footy brain but its like his body doesn't do things as quick as his brain tells him too.

Not sure how many players really improve after already playing 115odd first grade games?

Active Now

• heartly87
  • K-Style
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Bucking Beads
  • Browny
  • Big Del
  • Shane Tronc
  • Waynesaurus
  • Wolfie
  • eggstar10
  • Alec
  • theshed
  • bb_gun
  • Dash
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • Reds2011
  • Old Mate
  • winslow_wong
  • IceWorks
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.