Andrew McCullough - The Great Enigma

Don't be so quick, broncospwn. I've heard quotes from White, Gee and others say that they definitely see him as a future captain. Personally, I'd prefer Alex Glenn.
I'm absolutely certain he won't be our next captain, not a chance, Glenn will have the captaincy next.

Don't be so quick, broncospwn. I've heard quotes from White, Gee and others say that they definitely see him as a future captain. Personally, I'd prefer Alex Glenn.

You've "heard" quotes or you've read them ....?

Got a link for that?

I remember reading it somewhere, Mr F. Will try and find a link. It was something about leadership and potential etc. May have even been from the Bruno era now that I think of it.

I'm absolutely certain he won't be our next captain, not a chance, Glenn will have the captaincy next.

I hope so. Glenn would be an awesome captain. If he were a few yrs older he probably would be already.

I believe Macca's part of the 'leadership team' which as I understand it, is Thaiday, Parker, Hodges, Macca and Alex Glenn...is that right?

I want to hear the opinions of people here who have a lot of faith in McCullough, like Pete, Porthoz, pwn etc.

He's made his debut in 2008, and has been consistently in FG for the last 5 years. He hasn't changed much as a player since his debut. He has a great work ethic, a good running game and a decent kicking game too. On the other hand he struggles in the key attacking areas, such as decision making and quick service. Most would say those are the key areas for a hooker.

He was all the buzz a few years ago when everyone thought he would go on to be a great. Now most consider other hookers of the same age like Friend, Srama and Segeyaro as the true successors to Smith for QLD, and at the moment, rightfully so.

I basically want to know if his biggest fans still think of him as a future great Bronco and if he's ever going to reach the heights everyone was expecting of him in 2009 or so. And if not, how long should we persist with him until we can be sure he isn't the answer?

:laugh: May as well have called pwn a Tony Abbott defender.

I've given my view through out the thread and it hasn't changed. I'm willing to remain patient with McCullough and at least give him until next season to prove himself. He stagnated this season and there are plenty of valid criticisms to be made but he's yet to really hit that type of form that screams for his immediate sacking. In fact, his recent form has been promising, if he can build on that, he'll be worth keeping around.

The current crop of young Queensland hookers changes from season to season. Last year, Roosters fans didn't want a bar of Jake Friend, this year he's one of the form players in the competition. I wouldn't be surprised to see it change again next year.

If he leaves the Storm will sign him on peanuts and he will literally be the heir to Smith's nine jersey before being named an immortal thanks to Bellamy.

WOW !!

I don't see why anyone would rate McC that high !!!

I'd say Brisbane will persist with him for one more year. If his form continues along the path of, for every good game he plays 3 shit ones, he may get another year

if that ratio drops to new low standards, I'd be looking around for 2015.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brisbane are already "looking around" ........

Please take me off the Macca fan list! I'm far from it. I've been pushing for Baptise (and now Granville) for a long time to get the bench hooker spot so someone can put real pressure on Macca and hopefully outperform him to take his spot. I think Macca is average and every year I hear the this is his year comments but IMO he just as average as he was 3 years ago, plays 1-2 good games every 10 games and then super average for the next 10. He needs a rocket and some real selection pressure or we'll never get the best out of him IMO. I personally think he's far too comfortable in his role and him being a guaranteed selection every week , with only wannabe halfbacks as our interchange hookers doesn't help that.

I think he has more potential to be the next Smith than anyone else. He has skill in every aspect that you want from a hooker his only issue being consistency and he needs one or two flaws pointed out. I'm definitely a fan but unless he finds some consistency maybe he will need a change of environment (read coach)

I want to hear the opinions of people here who have a lot of faith in McCullough, like Pete, Porthoz, pwn etc.

He's made his debut in 2008, and has been consistently in FG for the last 5 years. He hasn't changed much as a player since his debut. He has a great work ethic, a good running game and a decent kicking game too. On the other hand he struggles in the key attacking areas, such as decision making and quick service. Most would say those are the key areas for a hooker.

He was all the buzz a few years ago when everyone thought he would go on to be a great. Now most consider other hookers of the same age like Friend, Srama and Segeyaro as the true successors to Smith for QLD, and at the moment, rightfully so.

I basically want to know if his biggest fans still think of him as a future great Bronco and if he's ever going to reach the heights everyone was expecting of him in 2009 or so. And if not, how long should we persist with him until we can be sure he isn't the answer?
Why do you think I rate Macca that high? I don't! :scared:

Or is it because I said he is captain material? Because to me being a star doesn't equal captain or vice versa.
I think he has the character and temperament to be a captain, but he still has a lot to do about his footy.

Besides, like most of our players I am curious whether coaching is what is holding him back...

With a halfback outside him that he actually gels with he's playing a lot better.

Active Now

• Reds2011
  • broncsgoat
  • NSW stables
  • Waynesaurus
  • theshed
  • Broncosgirl
  • Browny
  • winslow_wong
  • Robboi_321
  • Strop
  • Kev_Guz
  • Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • Xzei
  • Broncosarethebest
  • heartly87
  • Wolfie
  • Gaz
  • bert_lifts
  • Stix
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.