Andrew McCullough - The Great Enigma

With a halfback outside him that he actually gels with he's playing a lot better.

Yes.......and Prince is playing better with the same "new" halfback inside him

Hmmm, there's a common denominator here

and it sure as hell aint Griffin.

:001_rolleyes:

i rate him and think he has all the skills to be a very good hooker ! ! dont think he deserves all this hate , sub par year but u can say that for most !

I think he could theoretically be excellent too. But he's terribly inconsistent (about 4 or 5 great games a year) and doesn't seem to be working on the basic skills that he lacks at training (or maybe he is, but it just isn't showing). I think he'd benefit the most from a dominant first receiver half who'd play on both sides of the ruck, so there would be less indecisiveness of who to pass the ball too. DCE would be the best example.

But I guess my main point is that it has been a long time already, and he has never shown that he's about to take the next step. Hooker is becoming an underrated position, and everyone is concentrating on the halves and the fullback, so he isn't being targeted as much as he could be.

Quick play the balls for starters. Receivers getting the ball deeper.

Hunt has made a difference - more urgency, more creativity although a long way to go yet. Our progress is measured in how well we try to break the restrictions of a compressed, negative game plan.

Our play the balls are so slow a lot of the time that Macca has ****-all time to make any decision other than to pick up the ball and look before he gets hammered, which is what happens as a rule to his outside men who stand too flat and don't look to offload anyway - not that there would be time for them either.

Passing 2 wide would help as well, maybe to Hannant or McGuire who can then pass it on.

Depth is everything - room = time = better decision making. Nothing worse than being rushed - usually into zero % plays like one-outs.

The game plan is ALL. I mean, look at the Dogs. They have a shitful hooker who ***** up so much yet still they have depth and support runners.

Macca is no enigma - the club and the coaching staff are.

Last edited:
Totaly agree, more options for macca and more for the defence to worry about

I think he has more potential to be the next Smith than anyone else.
Someone get a bar of soap please and hand it to this man, Stat!
McCullough is not worthy to lick the grass off of the bottom of Cam Smith's boots little own be compared to him in any way, shape or form.

i rate him and think he has all the skills to be a very good hooker ! ! dont think he deserves all this hate , sub par year but u can say that for most !
Ah thats right, he is developing. Apparently when he hits 30 years old his lungs and heart will kick into full gear and he will have a great season.
Only 7 to go now. :laugh:

Time for Bellamy coaching ability versus talent versus unfair advantages from illegal roster debate yet?

Absolutely critical when comparing anyone to any current Storm player.

Could Bellamy make McCullough Cameron Smith, in the same "illegal" circumstances Smith was developed in, or otherwise?

Time for Bellamy coaching ability versus talent versus unfair advantages from illegal roster debate yet?

Absolutely critical when comparing anyone to any current Storm player.

Could Bellamy make McCullough Cameron Smith, in the same "illegal" circumstances Smith was developed in, or otherwise?
Oh FFS, really? I should infract you for re-opening this can of worms! :001_tt2:

Oh FFS, really? I should infract you for re-opening this can of worms! :001_tt2:

It's literally the lowest common demoninator of every thread on BHQ even vaguely related to the Storm.

My view is that McCullough plays the same position, has a similar body shape, used to be a half, is a QLD'er and plays for a News Corp team but that's where the similarities end.

Whereas Smith's development went on an upwards curve from his early 20s (2003 debut in Origin Smith was 20), McCullough has plateaued or worsened in some areas since 2011 which was probably his last good year.

Perhaps Smith became a better player from being thrust into the big game environment early.

Or maybe Macca is the victim of a team on a downward trend. Who knows.

Perhaps Smith became a better player from being thrust into the big game environment early.

Or maybe Macca is the victim of a team on a downward trend. Who knows.
You are comparing chalk and cheese.
The difference is, Smith is a talented footballer, a great leader, and is able to read a game better than most. McCullough is just an ordinary hooker who wants to be great but lacks the skills and fitness/heart. :laugh:

I wish people would stop mentioning Cameron Smith when talking about McCullough, it is kind of like comparing a fighter jet with a wet paper plane.

Stop belittling everyone elses opinion especially considering your argument isn't factually based and your opinion is grossly exaggerated. Do I believe macca will reach the level of smith. Not even close. Do I think anyone ever will. Unlikely. The fact is of the current crop of young hookers macca has the most complete game and in my opinion most consistency. Does this mean I currently think him the best. No. The fact is of the under 30 year old hookers ballin and macca are the best defenders. Of the young hookers he has the best (only?) kicking game. It has been poor for most of this year but last year was amazing and now with no dominant kicker he has really stepped it up. When he gets quick play the balls and doesn't have Hodges taking dummy half runs he has one of the best individual running games of the young crop (excluding segeyaro). Is this consistent. No but that's largely the teams fault rather than his. It also means he has the potential to be consistently one of the best (consistency can be gained). When his forwards aren't being dominated in the wrestle he additionally has at times shown creative ruck play not far off the levels of smith. Is this consistent. Not close. Does this make him currently the best at this I'd say that is friend (of you young crop). But that's due to consistency. Once again this means he has the potential to be the best of the young crop. Slow service to the halves? Yes he is bad in this regard but I'd say that's an issue caused by coaching and the flaws of the halves themselves at least equally as much as it is his. If we were to gain a dominant and decisive half or get more structure I think this would improve immensely. Intact since hunt took over I haven't seen a kicker pressured excessively once. Is macca the best young hooker. No. Is he good. Yes. Is he consistent. His single biggest issue. Does he have potential to be the beat of the young crop hence the next Smith (best of the current hookers). Yes

You are comparing chalk and cheese.
The difference is, Smith is a talented footballer, a great leader, and is able to read a game better than most. McCullough is just an ordinary hooker who wants to be great but lacks the skills and fitness/heart. :laugh:

I wish people would stop mentioning Cameron Smith when talking about McCullough, it is kind of like comparing a fighter jet with a wet paper plane.
Yeah, Macca may not be Cam Smith, but your assertion isn't anywhere near reality either.

Accusing Macca of lacking heart is just silly, and he certainly has talent as well, but the question is whether he can be consistent, operate smarter and become a better organiser.

Does he have potential to be the beat of the young crop hence the next Smith (best of the current hookers). Yes

No.....not even close.

He's still behind Ballin, Srama, Segeyaro ....and Friend, to name just a few. IMO

He doesn't lack heart, he lacks attacking nous. He's a good defender but that is like saying x is a good player because they try hard. Defensive prowess in a vital position isn't really a feather in his cap, it is the bare minimum expectation of that role.

You can bring in other factors that deflect blame away from McCullough like coaching or set plays, lack of movement, but it all stems from the guy picking up the ball after the play the ball - if he's not organizing his forwards better, or challenging the line by via a variety of methods, then the fact he's a good defender shouldn't save him.

Really, look at the hookers of most clubs, who's a bad defender? Not sure there is one, and while McCullough is solid defensively, let's not make our like he's the Axe reincarnate.

You're missing the point. I didn't say he is the next Smith or better than those players. He merely has the potential to be better than them. And imo apart from possibly j friend is the only one with the potential to become the complete package that Farah and smith are.

I know you're not responding to me Corey, but, potential is just a buzz word. McCullough has had potential for about 5 years now, it's about time he started turning it into something more.

yeah, he's 23, but he's also had 5 seasons of first grade - you would say any player that has had 5 seasons of first grade should be a lot better in their 5th year than they were in their 1st, but i don't think you can honestly sit there and say that with a straight face re: mccullough. if you can, well, you must be related.

There's a lot of praise for Jake Friend atm. If we were having this discussion this time last year he wouldn't even get a mention, yet be considered the best. What has happened since a change of coach at the Roosters and a new game plan and dominant halves? He is "seen" as better, although his game has not really changed. He also doesn't play 80 minutes there are very few that do and none of them are under 27/28. We under-rate the defence that McCullough has to do and for a young fella he does a great job, this hinders his attack. However, we've seen improvements since Hunt went into the halves and against ordinary defensive teams he has been outstanding. However, our game plan and our inability for fast play the balls doesn't allow Macca to show his potential.

Active Now

• Stix
  • Foordy
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • BruiserMk1
  • Rambstien
  • johnny plath
  • Lozza
  • Browny
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • Waynesaurus
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Aldo
  • Robboi_321
  • Gaz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • theshed
  • broncos4life
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.