Anthony Milford appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
His agility and footwork is some next level shit.

Can get away from defenders with a standing start, he's that good.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
BRONCOS legend Kevin Walters says Anthony Milford is the complete five-eighth and warned he will get better as part of Brisbane’s plan to cut him loose in the finals.

The significance of Milford’s demolition of Souths was rammed home after the 21-year-old became, statistically, the most lethal ball-running five-eighth in Broncos history.

Milford charged for an astonishing 221m in Brisbane’ 47-12 rout of the premiers.

It is the greatest metre-eating effort by a Broncos pivot since NRL statisticians began recording the category in 1999.

In almost 20 years, no other Broncos No. 6 has come close to Milford. Not even the club’s most-capped player Darren Lockyer, who never ran for more than 124m in one match during his six-year reign as Brisbane’s champion five-eighth.

To complete one of the most clinical displays by a pivot in NRL history, Milford compiled eight tackle busts, two tries, a field goal, two try assists and three line breaks.

Walters, who won five titles at the Broncos scrumbase, has worked closely with Milford this season and believes the Maroons hopeful has every facet of five-eighth play covered.

“Anthony is the complete package,” said Walters, the 237-game Broncos veteran.

“His kicking game and his passing game are great, but then there’s his running game, which is his great asset.

“Brisbane are lucky to have him in their hands. He is still only 21, so it’s scary to think just how good he is going to be.

“It’s been a pleasure to work with Anthony. It’s exciting to watch him improve every week.”

Milford went within a whisker of breaking the NRL’s all-time record for most metres by a five-eighth.

He is now ranked third behind Kurt Gidley (230) and Paul Gallen (236), who played five-eighth against Souths on the eve of the finals in 2009.

In an ominous sign for Brisbane’s NRL rivals, Walters said he instructed Milford and halfback Ben Hunt to go for the jugular by taking on the Souths defence.

“I actually challenged Anthony and Ben this week to run the ball more,” said Walters, who works on Brisbane’s offensive systems.

“Milf is such a dangerous player, his best asset is to run the ball and that’s what I wanted to see him do.

“We’re trying to get him into positions where he is going to run the ball.”

Milford revealed how Brisbane’s coaching staff toughened him up by forcing him to tackle big boppers at training to prepare him for five-eighth.

“There was never any doubt in my mind I could play this position,” he said.

“I needed to get defensively strong. Wayne and ‘Mooks’ (assistant Steve Kearney) did a really good job there, sending big boys into me week in and week out at training.

“It’s good to see it’s paying off at the back end of the season.”

Hunt admits he was left in awe of Milford’s destruction of the premiers.

“He can do everything in the game, he is the full package,” he said.

“He knows when to pass and if there’s nothing on, he can still create something.

“He’s an electric player.”

Walters: Milford is the complete five-eighth

Last edited by a moderator:
I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
It is scary to think about how good our halves pairing is going to be in a couple of years. They'll both be playing for QLD

M

morganmorgan

NYC Player
Mar 9, 2015
97% confident he will win 5/8 of the year. Unless that idiot austin pips him at the post

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
James Maloney and Michael Morgan would both have strong claims tbh

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
97% confident he will win 5/8 of the year. Unless that idiot austin pips him at the post

Yeah.....most likely Austin will get it. He's been the 2015 flavour of the NSW crowd and for the guys that seem to think giving a shit about Canberra somehow puts you in the know about RL.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Has Blake Austin had a good game against a top 10 team this year?

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Has Blake Austin had a good game against a top 10 team this year?

No. In fact he would be lucky if his had 10 good games this year

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Yeah.....most likely Austin will get it. He's been the 2015 flavour of the NSW crowd and for the guys that seem to think giving a shit about Canberra somehow puts you in the know about RL.

...and yet couldn't make the State team.

The nominees will surely be Austin, Maloney, Morgan and Milford IMO. Can't think of anyone else worth a mention. The media seem to blow their load over Jack Bird on a regular basis too.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Austin finished the season poorly, Milford started the season poorly.

Morgan and Maloney were pretty consistent throughout.

Last edited:
tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Cowboys lost their first 4 didn't they

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
ANTHONY Milford admits he had doubts, second guesses, questions and sleepless nights.

Then a Canberra teammate told him the news.

The news came on July 20, 2014.

Milford had signed for the Broncos the previous November, a full year in advance.

The Raiders were trying hard to convince the prodigy they contracted as a 12-year-old he would be better off in Canberra.

They were finding some success, too.

Then on a Monday morning in late July one of the biggest decisions in Broncos’ history filtered through.
Wayne Bennett was coming home to Red Hill.

“When I found out he was coming back, man, I was stoked. I just couldn’t wait to come back home and get started,” Milford told The Sunday Mail.

“There were thoughts about if I should stay (in Canberra). I thought about it definitely.

“I just kept coming back to the fact I always had a dream to play for the Broncos and if I didn’t take it then I may never get that opportunity again.

“I always wanted to honour my word. I made a commitment and felt I had to stick by it.

“I followed the Broncos growing up, seeing Wayne Bennett on television and seeing him talk to the players in the sheds at halftime.

“Wayne wasn’t here when I signed. It was a blessing in disguise that he ended up here.”

In an age when signing a contract with a rival team is a negotiating tool, Milford is the rare example of commitment.

The Broncos sensation, who has played every minute of every game for the club this season, has opened up to The Sunday Mail on his breakout year in a rare sit-down interview.

Inala-raised of Samoan parents, Milford was hailed as the next Johnathan Thurston at age 15.

Yet despite those potentially damaging expectations, there were few concerns Milford would squander his opportunities.

This is a man who volunteered to work with homeless youth during his senior years in high school.
He is now a shy and strikingly mature 21-year-old.

He’s not particularly fond of interviews, especially with cameras recording.

For a man so brazen with Steeden in hand, so confident with turf under his foot, Milford admits he lacks self confidence.

He even doubted, like Phil Gould and many media pundits did, that he could make it as an NRL five-eighth.

He won the Raiders player of the year in 2013 on the back of just nine starting games for the club.

Yet, he says when walked into Red Hill in November last year he didn’t consider himself a first grader.

“I had only played a few games really at Canberra and I had a lot to prove up here,” Milford said.

“I came here wanting to cement the six.

“There were times when I almost talked myself out of it. I doubted myself. Wayne always believed and knew I could do it. I needed to find belief inside myself to make the position mine.

“I had a lot of doubters at first about that. I wanted to prove to myself I could play the position.

“I owe a lot to the boys here for helping me through that phase.

“I think back now and I am so grateful I stuck with it.”

While the league world including Bennett believed Milford and the Broncos were two years away from being a premiership threat, those who attended Bardon training sessions early in the pre-season knew their prodigy would do justice to the club’s famous No. 6 jersey.

Staff were wowed with Milford’s vision in training drills and spoke of how they had never seen a player with a better combination of speed and creativity.

Milford even clocked the fastest 10m time in the club’s history and that was when he was 3kg overweight.

But the man himself wasn’t so confident.

Fast forward to this week’s finals clash with North Queensland in front of 50,000 fans at Suncorp Stadium, and Milford is arguably the buy of the season.

He is poised to become the Broncos’ first true marquee star since Darren Lockyer left.

While Sam Thaiday, Darius Boyd and Justin Hodges are high profile, they don’t have the wow factor of Milford.

While Milford will bring star status to Brisbane, the Broncos are the ideal club to nurture his dreams.

Milford realised that when he listened to Bennett’s first address to the players.

“On the first day he came here he said he wanted to help everyone on the field and off it,” Milford said.

“That was very pleasing to hear.

“He is a tough man. I thought he would be before I came here, and he hasn’t changed one bit.

“He’s such a good mentor for everyone. He’s always open for anyone who needs a hand.

“So far everything has fallen into place.”

Bennett return sunk Raiders Milford bid

Last edited:
Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Sounds like it wasn't Lockyer that convinced him to come.

Or perhaps he had a part, but the Bennett signing was what made sure of it.

Either way, I'm glad he didn't change his mind.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Then on a Monday morning in late July one of the biggest decisions in Broncos’ history filtered through.
Wayne Bennett was coming home to Red Hill.

“When I found out he was coming back, man, I was stoked. I just couldn’t wait to come back home and get started,” Milford told The Sunday Mail.

Considering he was locked in by June, it sounds like it was a bonus which is the story he's stuck with since 2014.

Of course there's always the possibility that he was informed prior and that was the final nail in the Raiders coffin but the story doesn't seem to indicate that at all.

“I came here wanting to cement the six.

Suggests to me that six was the plan for him even prior to Bennett.

Not that there was ever really any doubt.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Considering he was locked in by June, it sounds like it was a bonus which is the story he's stuck with since 2014.

Of course there's always the possibility that he was informed prior and that was the final nail in the Raiders coffin but the story doesn't seem to indicate that at all.

Suggests to me that six was the plan for him even prior to Bennett.

Not that there was ever really any doubt.

That doesn't fit with the whole 'it's all boyd's fault' routine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Skyblues87
  • theshed
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • davidp
  • Midean
  • maddo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Behold
  • HarryAllan7
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  • Ondi
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.