vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll never take the International game seriously as long as players HAVE to play for Australia if they want to play origin. Any player would be silly to not choose to play origin, there's more money and publicity in origin than anything else. For Tamou it's a business decision to play for Australia, not a passion. He's full of shit. At least you know with the Kiwi team, everyone who chooses to play there (that have the option of playing for AU, and most do) are making a real sacrifice to play for their country. It's much more believable.

Go the Kiwis...

This. Can't cheer for Australia tonight.

Players get paid about $30k per game, right? If they play for Aus or NZ I mean. Stuff it then, spread it out throughout the nations. Make it $10k per game, but so long as it's an officially sanctioned international game, you get that if you play for Australia or if you play for Samoa. Then we'll really see if they "see themselves as Australians".

Two negatives:

1 - Origin. Playing for Australia and in Origin is a double-dip at the moment. So make them play Origin for free. Yes, it's the pinnacle of the sport and makes a buttload of money. So what - players passionate enough about their state will do it for the glory anyway. The money is better spent growing the game.

2 - Players who normally wouldn't give a shit will nominate to play for a 2nd tier nation as it'll be easier to get selected and an easy $10k. Which in turn denies some of the lower-grade players the glory of playing for their country. It'd be shitty if it's just a bunch of Australians running around for a 2nd tier nation who are only eligible because their grandmother was born there. Not sure about this one, because the other argument is that the more NRL players play, the better the team should perform, which in turn is good for the game. And if a player wants to play just for the money, and tanks it during the game, then they won't ever be selected again.

Rather than removing the origin money, put that money towards the International games. And simply don't tie origin to Australia. Anthony Milford could easily play for both QLD and Samoa, I don't see anything wrong with that as long as they still meet the current origin eligibility rules.

The international game would be great if more star players played for their real country of choice, not the only country any manager would be pushing them to play for.

A Fiji team with Hayne, Koroibete, Radrara, etc. There would be some actually exciting games instead of just ENG/NZ/AUS

Last edited:
Rather than removing the origin money, put that money towards the International games. And simply don't tie origin to Australia. Anthony Milford could easily play for both QLD and Samoa, I don't see anythign wrong with that as long as they still meet the current origin eligibility rules.

That's kind of what I meant by "growing the game", it'd be used to bolster the payments for the other nations. And agreed, Milford, McGuire too, would be great for Samoa & Qld. It makes you wonder how the international game would be if players like Petero & Hayne played for Fiji throughout their careers, etc.

I'd also like to point out that this 19 man Kiwi squad has 5 players not born in New Zealand (One more than Australia) and 5 who have represented other countries.

Go Australia lets kick some kiwi arse

The All Blacks Haka destroys the league one by a long shot.

That was very dumb from Radradra.

There's a thread in live game chat for this weekend of rep footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Cavalo
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.