vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah I meant selected for NSW. City Country is a nothing fixture and I'm glad Qld don't entertain the idea of having one.

So Roberts not picked?? I'm VERY happy about it but are nsw selectors really that stupid not to have him under consideration?

Unless he's already pencilled in. The certainties don't play Shitty Country.

I can name the NSW backline for you now if you want

It will be

1. Dugan
2. Ferguson
3. Morris
4. Jennings
5. Radradra (they will get his eligibility through)

Roberts wont get picked. They are too dumb to pick him

So much for Rothfield's 'leaked' side.

Maybe Freddy caught wind that Roberts was going to pull out, so Freddy went elsewhere? You can't withdraw because you're not even selected! Type deals. Hey, it sounds crazy but that's why Freddy has opted for a lot of young players in the past - because he hates all the negative '10 players withdrew' stories so he picks players with like 3 games experience (Fonua-Blake) who would appreciate the opportunity.

As for Roberts, I wouldn't pick him for Origin either.

Semi isn't playing Origin either, it's been decided.

This post has finally made me do it

Oh yeah I meant selected for NSW. City Country is a nothing fixture and I'm glad Qld don't entertain the idea of having one.

Why I don't mind the City Country game

1: Playing the game in rural areas like Tamworth, Bathurst, Dubbo, Wagga Wagga etc brings the game and first grade NRL players to towns and people who aren't able to attend NRL matches on a regular basis or barely at all.

2: It fosters links with grassroots footy there and gives attention to country football. The local Rugby League club is the heart and soul of communities in NSW in the winter just like QLD. The bush produces the best sporting talent in the country especially to Rugby League in both NSW and QLD. Artie Beetson, Darren Lockyer, Matt Bowen, Andrew Johns, Bob Fulton, Trent Barrett, Michael Cronin with many more.

3: It gives the country boys a rare chance to represent where they are from.

4: Having a rep trial can be a good thing for some potential future representative players. I know everyone in Queensland will mock me for saying that but when you have have such a stable and dominant team like the Maroons have had which is built around the best and most consistent players of our time there is no need to stress over selections. I remember those days though when QLD where picking Michael Croker at hooker, Shannon Hegarty, John Doyle and Buttegieg, dragged Ben Ikin out of a wheelchair, named Scott Sattler as a utility, played Chris Flannery at playmaker along with Daniel Wagon and rushed a broken Scott Prince into the team. I doubt QLD would've really laughed at some kind of trial back then. If the Blues had won 9 of the previous 10 series QLD would do anything to help thir chances.

There is some great talent young talent in the NSW ranks and I can't see the harm in giving them some experience in a representative environment.

It does have a place but at times just some really stupid selections and picking mediocre players for it (John Morris for example) just gives it critics more and more ammo.

I am sure all those points are true, the problems is though when players who play city-country get shopped around as 'rep' players. City-Country is an exhibition game, not a level above the NRL which is rep footy should be. If anything, it is a step down.

This post has finally made me do it

Why I don't mind the City Country game

1: Playing the game in rural areas like Tamworth, Bathurst, Dubbo, Wagga Wagga etc brings the game and first grade NRL players to towns and people who aren't able to attend NRL matches on a regular basis or barely at all.

2: It fosters links with grassroots footy there and gives attention to country football. The local Rugby League club is the heart and soul of communities in NSW in the winter just like QLD. The bush produces the best sporting talent in the country especially to Rugby League in both NSW and QLD. Artie Beetson, Darren Lockyer, Matt Bowen, Andrew Johns, Bob Fulton, Trent Barrett, Michael Cronin with many more.

3: It gives the country boys a rare chance to represent where they are from.

4: Having a rep trial can be a good thing for some potential future representative players. I know everyone in Queensland will mock me for saying that but when you have have such a stable and dominant team like the Maroons have had which is built around the best and most consistent players of our time there is no need to stress over selections. I remember those days though when QLD where picking Michael Croker at hooker, Shannon Hegarty, John Doyle and Buttegieg, dragged Ben Ikin out of a wheelchair, named Scott Sattler as a utility, played Chris Flannery at playmaker along with Daniel Wagon and rushed a broken Scott Prince into the team. I doubt QLD would've really laughed at some kind of trial back then. If the Blues had won 9 of the previous 10 series QLD would do anything to help thir chances.

There is some great talent young talent in the NSW ranks and I can't see the harm in giving them some experience in a representative environment.

It does have a place but at times just some really stupid selections and picking mediocre players for it (John Morris for example) just gives it critics more and more ammo.

I don't begrudge games of footy going to the bush, but NSW say that it is a trial for SOO selection and then rarely select players who play well in it. That's why plenty of players feign injury to avoid playing in it. Maybe if they really did treat it as a serious trial people would have alot more interest in it.

City vs Country encapsulates everything that's wrong with the NRL.

It's a concept that should have died in the 80s and yet we hold onto it because of the NSW-centric rationale that spoils this great game.

It is an embarrassment to the game and doesn't achieve what it sets out to. Country Rugby League is an underrated part of the game, some of the greatest players to ever represent the game have come out of the bush. However, one exhibition game isn't enough and I find it embarrassing the ARL seems to think so. More funding, better emphasis in the media, better competitions etc. would yield better results for everyone involved.

City vs Country is worse than a Tigers vs Knights game.

At least Tigers and Knights have better sides picked.

ChfDFoTU8AAXeHY.jpg:large

As predicted, Lewis Brown will start at Hooker and Nikorima will be bench utility.

KANGAROOS enforcer James Tamou may be nicknamed Aussie Jim but he has baulked at paying $1000 to become a fully-fledged Australian.

Tamou, who earns $550,000 a season with the North Queensland Cowboys, revealed his three-year quest to become an Australian citizen had turned into a case of “highway robbery’’.

The Cowboys prop sparked an eligibility furore four years ago when he backflipped on New Zealand to play for Australia, prompting angry Kiwis to label him Turncoat Tamou.

New Zealand-born Tamou showed his commitment to the green and gold jumper by starting his application for Australian citizenship in April 2013.

Three years later, Tamou is stuck with a Kiwi passport and claims he is being stymied by the Department of Immigration and Border Control in his desire to become a true-blue Aussie.

“I’m still not an Australian citizen,” Tamou said.

“Mate, have you seen the cost of it (applying to become an Australian citizen) these days?

“It’s going to cost me around a thousand bucks. It’s a rip-off. It’s highway robbery.

“I’d rather spend that sort of money on the kids than a piece of paper.’’

A basic application for Australian citizenship costs $285. Depending on an applicant’s residency status, the total cost can exceed several thousand dollars and an additional $254 for an Australian passport.

Tamou was born in Palmerston North and moved to Australia with his family aged 13. He said the desire to renounce his Kiwi ties had been strengthened since the arrival of his two Australian-born sons Barclay and Brooklyn during his time at the Cowboys.

Tamou’s partner Brittney will deliver a third Australian son in August after he completes his Origin duties with the Blues.

“I am definitely keen to get my Aussie citizenship, it’s just getting around to doing the paperwork,” he said.

“Down the track, I guess it’s something I should do because I’ll have three kids soon and they’ll all be true-blue Aussies. It’s just so bloody expensive.’’

Tamou is not the only Australian player with a foreign passport. Kangaroos debutant Semi Radradra still has Fijian documentation and Tamou last night rallied in support of the rookie winger after recalling the abuse he suffered for walking out on the Kiwis.

Tamou, who plays his 12th Test tomorrow night in Newcastle, lashed suggestions Radradra, who has spent 19 of his 23 years in Fiji, would not care about the Australian jumper.

“He will be as passionate about Australia as I am,” Tamou said. “I remember as a kid watching Australia play and I loved seeing their superstars.

“I really cherish putting on the green and gold jumper.

“It was hard at first. The media portrayed me as a traitor but I was there to do the job for the country I picked and I chose Australia. I still cop it here and there from someone in the crowd but I’m well past it now and Semi will be the same.

“He is doing his peers, his heritage and his family proud by being here.’’

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/4028489e11c75043ed654774d274c00d

"It's just so bloody expensive"

You make 550k a year you fucking knob!

Lol, Tamou. **** off back to Easter Island

What an absolute flog.

Won't pay a grand to "become" an Aussie? You don't deserve to wear the jersey, you clown.

It's an absolute disgrace that he and semi are playing for Aus. It's not like they're locky or cam smith: we have plenty of actual Aussies that could do an equal or better job (klemmer, Oates).

It's an absolute disgrace that he and semi are playing for Aus. It's not like they're locky or cam smith: we have plenty of actual Aussies that could do an equal or better job (klemmer, Oates).

Yeah agree, not saying the culture would be diminished that badly by having a Kiwi & a Fijian, it's just awkward when they don't even sing the national anthem for Australia..

I assume the players would feel much more passionate and comfortable if all 17 players at least grew up singing the Australian national anthem.

Yeah agree, not saying the culture would be diminished that badly by having a Kiwi & a Fijian, it's just awkward when they don't even sing the national anthem for Australia..

I assume the players would feel much more passionate and comfortable if all 17 players at least grew up singing the Australian national anthem.

I grew up singing the same national anthem as James. I'm very much Australian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• kman
  • Broncosgirl
  • Cavalo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Porthoz
  • Mustafur
  • Spoon
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.